2019-20 Villa PL Season

Discussion in 'Aston Villa' started by Terrier1966, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Looking back, lots of despair in old threads.

Leaving that all behind with fresh start.

Seems the fundamental question will be, “has Smith developed a team that capably plays his aggressive style but is still stout enough to withstand PL opponents?”.

Analysts are concerned the style will be exposed by superior opposing talent and Villa will go straight down.

My view is there was no squad Smith could assemble that would threaten the top teams. So, it is a question of getting the points to stay up certainly but hopefully staying out of the bottom 5 or so such that players are willing to stay/join.

We’ve seen what happens when relegation hovers over a team for a few years.

It is my belief they have assembled a team that can compete for a mid-table finish. I personally like Smith’s style and prefer an optimistic vs. cynical approach on the pitch.

Leadership, chemistry, health and luck will be needed to get them to a 8-13 position but I think they’ll do it.

So, I’m optimistic until proven otherwise.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  2. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Well, maybe those cynics were right...if you can’t maintain possession for more than 10 seconds you will not survive.

Too many goal kicks out of play and too many lost MF battles.

Wesley looked like he ate a huge breakfast, made up for being slow by having a bad first touch and falling down whenever he was contested...I’ve seen drunks on pogo sticks stay upright longer than he does.

3. TommyTAvfcSportResearch

Aston Villa
    England
    Jun 4, 2019
    I don't think you should judge us solely on that display, all things considered against a team like Spurs we played very well and look a threat particularly during the first half. Second half we sat to deep and invited pressure but it's easy to do when you're 1-0 up away at a team like Spurs. Don't forgot Spurs are a quality side.

I agree with you about Wesley, he was dissapointing in the first half I don't think he realised how physical you have to be to play in the Prem, second half he improved.

Smith made a big mistake taking Trezeguet off he looked dangerous and full of energy, El Ghazi on the other hand was woeful.

Overall, I think we have enough to beat the drop.

4. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I’m still optimistic.

Agreed, it is one game, away, at a top 4 club, opening their new venue.

I thought Smith’s comments were spot on, didn’t value the ball in the second half.

I think bringing in a defensive MF was a good idea. However, he is a young guy playing his first action in a maelstrom of Spurs attack. I would thought he’d have brought Nakamba in, and sooner. He has CL experience and is said to be a high tackles-per-game guy.

Agree on el Ghazi, I like him but he was out of gas. JK for Wesley was not an effective sub.

Didn’t think Jota was effective and he had a few unforced turnovers that were poorly timed.

Mings was stellar, Heaton with a big save ... would like to understand what their wall tactics were. The plan couldn’t have been “leave a big gap so he gets a clear shot and I’ll make a diving one-handed save.”

So, let’s hope they get stronger and tighter with another week of training and the glimpses we saw become more routine.

As Spurs manager said, it is hard to get 14 new guys on the same page in 2-3 weeks.

5. TommyTAvfcSportResearch

Aston Villa
    England
    Jun 4, 2019
    There is certainly plenty to be optimistic about this season, it's also just nice to see all of the positivity around the club at the moment.

I agree, Luiz was the right decision, tough game to make your debut in though. Marvelous will be very effective for us, he offers a lot more defensively than Hourihan - I don't think Hourihan is a CDM and I think he will be found wanting at this level in certain games.

Jota's a good squad player and he will have his moments, I was also very happy with the partnership duo of Mings and Engels. I do think both Taylor and Elmohamady will be dropped for Targett and Guilbert in the coming weeks, not that they played bad I just don't think they have the quality

Onwards and upwards from here as they say, either way isn't it bloody marvelous (excuse the pun) to see the boys back where they belong?!

6. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Indeed.

Good to see them back.

7. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Well, that is one game of fading in the last 20 minutes and one game of getting off to a terrible start.

Not sure how Luiz can dummy a pass in the defensive third, in the middle of the pitch, but he did.

If clinical is the term for effective finishing, the squad has been whatever the 180 opposite would be.

Easy to pile on but Wesley is still ineffective and Jota is an obvious blue counter agent who passes only to the other team.

8. FCDfaninzEP

FCDfaninzEP Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 8, 2018
    El Paso, TX
    Disappointing start to the season. Wesley hasn't been impressive so far, but still a long way to go. Hope we can get a point on Friday.

9. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    3 points were sorely needed.

I think Wesley played better and might be starting to get settled with PL tactics. He was on the ground less and was more intent on getting something done vs. looking for fouls.

Jota is an interesting player...makes some amazing passes...opponents will seek to make him less creative by testing his pace defensively.

Guilbert looks like the guy who will hold down that spot.

Still need to value the ball better, some giveaways in dangerous areas that will be punished by better finishers.

Great to see the spirit on the pitch and the seats...hopefully they build off this result.

FCDfaninzEP repped this.
  10. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    BTW. What a travesty.

The ref was a disaster.

It looked like a local club game in which the local ref wanted to “keep it fair”.

Can’t wait for his next assignment at Villa Park

FCDfaninzEP repped this.
  11. FCDfaninzEP

FCDfaninzEP Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 8, 2018
    El Paso, TX
    Yeah, tough call. Hope to be on the other end of one soon.

12. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    1-0 at half and up a man, on the road. Type of game where they need to put it away.

Wesley is not good. Villa will be advised to sign somebody in the window.

13. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Big win. Wesley with 2, should have been 3. The “sun in the eyes” last goal was unfortunate for Heaton. Out of the zone as of now

FCDfaninzEP repped this.
  14. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Every team we play should put 10 men on field at the start

15. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    How poorly must Davis be performing in training for Wesley to continue to get 90 minutes?

I like Smith but he has to answer for the complete lack of production and absence of tactical innovation. Change something!

Sending him out there game after game to lope around, fall down upon a slight breeze and accumulate dumb fouls is pig headed.

The decision to leave Mings out there was an administrative failure. A thumbs up from the trainer is not sufficient. Mings is the cornerstone of the defense and Vardy has scored a goal in 100 straight games, can’t leave a guy out there with a hamstring injury...he can run off a knock, not a pulled hamstring.

16. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    If they don’t replace Wesley I may just get my 2 hours back each week.

Terrible movement, gets into stupid pushing matches every game.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, he stifles all offense.

Better to play with 10

17. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Villa down Mings and McGinn now have El Ghazi hurt ... not enough depth to withstand the injuries (not that they were setting the world on fire with them)