2019/20 Taça de Portugal Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Oct 16, 2019.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    After a long international break, we're back with a cup match tomorrow vs. lower tier side Alverca. Silas has had a chance to do a mini pre-season over the last couple of weeks so hopefully the team has assimilated his ideas.

Call-ups:

GK: Renan, Diogo Sousa, Luís Maximiano.

Defenders: Ilori, Ristovski, Luís Neto, Rosier, Mathieu, Borja.

Midfielders: Eduardo, Bruno Fernandes, Acuña, Miguel Luís, Doumbia.

Forwards: Bolasie, Vietto, Gonzalo Plata, Jesé, Luiz Phellype.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Starting XI:

Luís Maximiano;
    Rosier, Ilori, Neto, Cristian Borja;
    Doumbia, Eduardo, Miguel Luís;
    Jesé, Vietto, Luiz Phellype.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We can't even keep a clean sheet against a 3rd tier side. Although to be fair it was a fantastic shot.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Had to leave. Good thing too, because we're losing 2-0 even with Bruno fernandes on the field now.

5. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    hahaha man, not much say. This is somehow both surreal and expected at the same time.

6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lowest low I've ever seen this club. Worse than when we finished 7th.

Unreal.

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I truly believe we're going to finish lower than that.

And I also truly believe this club is unfixable no matter who gets elected. Sell the club!!!

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    First time in our history we're behind by more than 1 goal against a 3rd division side.

9. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    And we deserve to finish above 7th. This is a complete nightmare

10. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    And we deserve to finish above 7th. This is a complete nightmare

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #11 fdasilva, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    What a low point this is.

But when we lost 5-0 to Benfica after having a terrible pre-season, the president said "I'm not worried" so I'm not worried now either...

Miguel Luis must have an amazing agent. He was even captain today. A player with 0 quality to play on this team.

No coach could come here and perform miracles. We lost Dost, Raphinha even freaking Gudelj would be better than what we have now. The only 2 players with some class are Acuna and Bruno. Everything else there is mediocre. Luiz Phellype is our starting striker. Jese is a complete and total flop. Vietto has technical quality but inconsistent. Where's the "best U20 brazilian player" Fernando who came on loan? Not a single call-up and it's mid-october.

It's always the fans' fault for everything when they scream and shout a bit, but what about the attitude of the players on the pitch.

With each game there's more and more pressure on Varandas and he won't last. This season was a disaster from the beginning. So many similarities with Godinho Lopes its frightening. I mostly kept quiet even though I didn't like his project or his "leadership" style since the beginning because I knew last season was not his fault. But this season is clearly his fault and he needs to hold accountability.

12. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    While I agree with most of this, it's a little harsh to put 100% of the blame on varandas. Bdc is the worst president in the history of soccer, it takes more than one year to undo what he did. Varandas should have planned the season better, and beto and hugo viana probably arent qualified for their jobs, but itll take probably a decade or so to undo the damage bdc did.

13. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Honest question. Why is BDC the worst president in the history of soccer ? What damage did he do and why will it take a decade to undo the damage he did?

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Wheres the core that won the euro?

I feel like we've had this debate 1000 times, just look at my previous responses. Or dont. We clearly have different opinions on the matter and that's ok.

15. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We had 4 players on that team. 2 were sold, 2 rescinded their contract.

I can't remember where to find those debates we had, that's why I asked to be honest. We're all entitled to our own opinions. It's just when I hear or see certain comments, I just like to understand someones point of view to see if they have a valid argument or just speaking out of frustration.

To call him the worst president in all of soccer history, is a bit harsh in my opinion for whatever it's worth.

I just feel like some people still blame BDC for the academy fiasco, which till today doesn't seem to be the case. Don't get me wrong, BDC was no saint and his downfall in my opinion was his using public platforms to say things and bit#h at players which is wrong. Nobody wants to be called out publicly.

SCP_16 repped this.
  16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It's clear we need someone with financial know how, with a clear voice and idea, who doesn't act and who doesnt have their own agenda. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who fits that description.

17. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Doesn't help that agents essentially run everything nowadays. So they will exploit SCP and our players any chance they get.

18. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's sad where this club currently is. This president is on pace to be probably the worst president in SCP History. Had a horrible/winless preseason, got spanked by Benfica 5-0 in supercup, struggling in Taca da Liga, currently tied for 6th place in league and 8 points behind 1st, eliminated for Taca de Portugal, and it's only mid October. At the rate we're going, we're going to end up in 2nd division next year.

He got rid of Correira for cheap, Raphina, and our biggest goal scorer in BasDost and brought in a bunch of loaners.

He apparently got his salary raise approved at last AG which apparently makes him highest paid President (I haven't confirmed if this is true).
    The way this AG was conducted wasn't right in my opinion. Announced less than 48 hours notice and held on a weekday (Thursday) where many people work and can't attend. AG's over the last decade have been help on a Saturday where it allows Socios to attend.

To finish, he's clearly not bothered by any of this as you constantly see him laughing and smirking without a worry in the world.

If this guy doesn't leave ASAP, who knows where this club will end in.

Like you said, I don't know who can come in at this point and right the ship or who even wants to at this point.

19. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    100%. You can tell by looking at guys like Bruno and Acuna they do not want to be there.

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    They might not want to be there but at least they're the only two that show a bit of desire. Vietto also seems to want to play, he had numerous chances yesterday, he can't be our main #9 but paired with a finisher he can be important.

Everyone else however is questionable.

GK: None of our keepers are truly reliable. Max is too green and Renan is a good shot stopper but mediocre at everything else.

Defense: Mathieu is on the decline, wouldnt be surprised if he retired. Coates is inconsistent, Neto too, Ilori is garbage. Rosier has potential, Ristovski has been injured, Acuna has spirit but just doesn't fit this team (what is his actual position exactly?), Borja is limited and only a backup.

Midfield: Battaglia is injured forever, Bruno is Bruno but even he can't do everything, Wendel has 2 speeds: slow and stop. Doumbia is frighteningly bad, Miguel Luis is garbage.

Forwards: Phellype isn't SCP level although he does what he can, Vietto is gifted but not a pure #9, and then theres the loanees: Jese is garbage, where is fernando, and Bolasie is decent but isnt a goalscorer.

In short. Our defense is old and slow, our midfield is nonexistent and we have no goalscorers up front. Its the recipe for a disaster.

21. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Do you honestly believe that the Correira and Raphinha deals weren't phenomenal for Sporting? Especially given that everyone knows where desperate for money? Correira never showed anything here and Raphinha is already being touted as one of the flops of the year in france.

As bad as he is, I don't think he can possibly go down as the worst president in SCP history. He's already won more in one year than the last president did in five for example.

22. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    I'm not one to want presidents out as we need to find a president that can last a decade plus and bring stability to this orginization....But how do you survive what has happened this year? Brutal results since the pre season.... 5-0 loss to "them" .... Loss to a 3rd division team? How do you stay on?

23. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It just looks like Bruno is unhappy.

24. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not at all. Raphina's deal was a good deal. Correira was okay, but he was young and playing well and we should've kept him cause he's better than what we got.

Raphina and Bruno played well together and now they're both struggling.

There was other options they could've sold like Acuna and some of right backs. Getting rid of players like Bas Dost and Nani were stupid moves. If it's about salaries, there's other options. This president is useless as tits on a bull and is driving this club into the ground. His campaign was unite sporting, he's doing the exact opposite. Huga Viana has already stated they made mistakes (shocker).
    Like I said, at the rate he's going, he's going to make Godinho Lopes look fantastic.

25. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you don't. This is an embarrassment. At the rate SCP is going, they won't even get a Europa League spot next year. Let that sink in. You know how sad that is.