2019-20 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Sep 23, 2019.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...in between 100 or so that went 30 rows up. I'm not bothered about either of these two losses. i mean, i was fine with keeping medranda (cause he did add some tenacity and bite that we've seriously lacked lately), but zendejas never looked good enough to me... so i'm happy enough to get some garber bucks in the end.

2. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed:

Inca Roads repped this.
  3. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    1. $3M is still a ton of money for a teenager with a ton of improvement needed.
    2. $3M only makes sense though if there's a sell-on clause. I'd imagine we're insisting on one, but then again we let EPB go for free, so, I'm not exactly confident.
    3. At some point you have to let your kids go to Europe if that's what they want to do. Especially as MLS territory rules are likely to be relaxed going forward, it's important to establish a reputation that the club won't get in the way of the players' dreams, which will almost universally be a move to Europe.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC got $2m (up to $7 with incentives) for a player from the same year as Busio who hasn't played a single game MLS game. Wanting/Expecting more than $3m guaranteed for Busio isn't a stretch in my opinion. The $10m mentioned in the article in my opinion is where KC is just starting at negotiation wise and that's not a line in the sand for them.

As I said elsewhere, the transfer negotiations for Busio will show what KC has learned and how they've changed tactics from the EPB situation.

Blando13 and mschofield repped this.
  5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Crazy how fast that needle moved.

$3MM is definitely too low a fee for him as a prospect right now. I don't have a clue how high it would go. Two years ago I'd say three mills was a brilliant move.

6. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    I agree that $3M is low, but if we spend the whole window and that's the best offer we get, I wouldn't be mad if we accept it. I totally get SKC trying to start off much higher than that. We'll see what happens, I just think it's important to note that there are good reasons to accept an offer of $3M for Busio.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you only look at this window. Busio has 2 more option years after 2020, so there's no reason to be in a hurry to sell him this window.

mschofield repped this.
  8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Though there is reason to be a bit tentative around option years, as those are transfer gray areas.

I think he needs this next year--needs to excel. He really needs to step up to tier 1 play before we can sell him. I too would prefer to sell him after this year, or at least in the summer, rather than this offseason.

9. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    While true, this gets at a reason why I want SKC to develop a reputation for being player-friendly during these deals. The way MLS contracts are set up, MLS teams are always going to value their players too highly relative to the rest of the world. See the Aaron Long situation from this summer. He's much older than Busio so that calculus is a bit different, but I'd much rather SKC sell a player "too early" or for "too little transfer fee" than hang on to players too long and develop a reputation for a club who won't let their players leave. Then we'll struggle to sign the next Busio who comes along, for example.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's definitely a weird conundrum to solve. Especially since the league historically gets its mitts in there too.

Frankly, if it's Fiorentina who is buying, jack up the price. If it's Wolverhampton? Sell reasonable. An Italian club will most likely waste years of his life peddling him through the loan system, whereas Wolves would have an actual plan to train and incorporate him, I'd say.

It's another lesson to be learned from EPB. He signed for a massive club that, unless life takes some very wild twists, never intended to and will never actually play him at a senior level. His life and career I think would be so much better now if Porto hadn't dropped the ball. So anyways, I hope Vermes and Busio and his agent/parents/whoever look at the amount of players transferred to clubs that are just playing the odds... and come up with a better solution.

xamers repped this.
  11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just browsed the comments on the Blue Testament articles. My heart goes out to you, sir.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sorry for all the posting, but do y'all think there's any credibility to the Cavallini rumors? Seems like he'd be an actually good pickup for us.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally turned off FB notifications for that post on the FB page for that article and from the start refused to wade into the comments on the Blue Testament. I had enough on Twitter.

I assume you saw the latest one that came out today and that's what brought this up?

https://www.tudn.com/futbol/liga-mx...a-puede-ser-el-ultimo-de-cavallini-con-puebla

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that article is making the rounds on reddit. Matt Doyle is claiming credit for making it happen via tweet, haha.

The Jimmy question is cracking me up, though. I keep seeing things like "best defender on the roster" or "one of the best fullbacks in the league" and "perfect replacement for Roger" and so on. He wasn't a great defender, which is why he kept losing his spot to Seth. And I can't think of a time he was actually tasked with and fulfilled a role like Roger's. Just insane. People are letting their enjoyment of him as a personality overwhelm their understanding of what he brings to the team. Which was something, yeah, but not... tons.

xamers and mschofield repped this.
  15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not sure how real it is, but FWIW, Duane Rollins who has seemed to have Canadian player news regularly said he's heard the interest is real.

My favorite part of his defense is when people bring up that he had the most tackles when he was playing left back. He had the most tackles because his positioning as a defender was bad enough that he was regularly having to make tackles to recover for his bad positional sense as a left back. He never grew comfortable in that position. As for Espinoza's position, the only comparison between the 2 is their engine, Medranda couldn't do all the dirty work that Espinoza does that many people still don't give him credit for (not specifically this year but since his return).

Blando13 and kcscsupporter repped this.
  16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cavallini rumor is interesting. The Canadian MNT has better forwards than the USMNT and he's one of their better players.

18. Alberta_Soccer

Sep 29, 2015
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #168 Alberta_Soccer, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    As a Canadian NT fan, I can confidently you'd be getting a very good striker if he signs with you.

There is interest from other Liga MX teams though, including Cruz Azul. There even was talk during the Gold Cup that he would sign with them for a near double-figure fee, but it didn't materialize for one reason or another.

There is/was apparent interest from teams in La Liga, but it seems to have dried up, and also the Whitecaps had a bid rejected, apparently. It will be interesting where he moves next.

As for his attributes, he is a big physical number 9 who is good in the air despite not being that tall. Most of his goals come from inside the box. He also has pretty good feet and is effective in holding up the play and bringing others in. He can play as the CF in a front 3, or he can play in a two-man partnership. He has decent, but not exceptional pace. He's also a very confident personality with swagger, but he's also an emotional player, so one negative about him is that he picks up a lot of cards, so expect that. Comes with the territory with Lucas.

My expectation for him would be to score anywhere between 10 and 15 goals in MLS. Anything more would be exceeding expectations and anything less would be a disappointment.

For a brief time, he was teammates with Diego Rossi of LAFC at Peñerol, where he only spent half a year, scoring 6 times in 16 games.

kcfooty and Inca Roads repped this.
  19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well that doesn't exactly check all our boxes or anything. Oh wait, yes he does. Jesus, he'd be a get.

I'm still hoping SKC buy out Fontas and trade off one of the long-standing players this offseason. I know we don't want to build from the ground up entirely in one year, but am not sure I'm seeing enough turnover of the flagging core as it stands. I believe the team can both earn some money back while offloading a bit of salary and opening up a bit more flexibility. We'll see.

Cavallini plus (intelligent) TAM signings at CB, midfield, and maybe winger, with some depth or starters at both fullback positions and I'm not gonna be able to cap my stupid optimism. If we don't get a striker, if we don't improve our midfield, or if we don't completely repair our sad back line, and the pessimism is in play.

kcfooty repped this.
  20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A double figure fee? I mean, even if it’s $99 we can match that! We can probably even get into triple digits.lets not get crazy though.
    He sounds great but having gone all gibbly over the return of Nemeth I feel safe waiting to see what happens.

21. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the silly season so I don't want to get my hopes up. That said, I think he would be the starting CF for the USMNT. I realize that's not much of a compliment these days but he's exactly the kind of player SKC need. He plays sort of a skilled version of Dom Dwyer with the ability to also offer hold up play.

Alberta_Soccer and kcfooty repped this.
  22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To go back to the Busio discussions ... the timing could come down to how well we're able to bring in other midfielders at the moment. If we can't bring in a sure fire starter in the MF (it's possible) and we bring in a depth signing there then selling Busio just puts us in a similar situation as we're in today (not great). Granted, with the Busio money, you'd have some $$ to invest in, but I think it's going to come down to who Vermes can reel in and get into the boat this window. Wouldn't be horrible to give the new players a few months in MLS prior to selling Busio in the summer as well. If we hit on a couple of players then it may make it easier.

23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're totally right. Though I don't think Vermes will hold Busio back from a solid career opportunity unless it was terribly lowball or something.

We have a very long offseason, and already have had a long one to get our feelers out. I know just "sign a great player" is much more complicated than we want to assume, but we literally are in the middle of a sixth month reflection/contemplation period in which to figure out the fix. The possibility of Busio leaving has always been there, and should have been factored in since August!

I do think August is a more likely window to sell him in, but our organization is happy to let our guys go abroad and try their luck. Never stood in their way, except depending on how the EPB thing actually happened. Plus Busio is a homegrown, so they're pretty intensely financially motivated to sell him on this contract--I don't think the homegrown transfer proceeds rule continues once they sign a senior level, non-homegrown contract, right?

mschofield repped this.
  24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not aware of a situation where the situation you talk about happens, but my understanding is that the transfer proceeds isn't dependent on him being a HGP by MLS roster rules, he's still a HGP even if he doesn't have the roster designation.

Blando13 repped this.
  25. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sounds good to me.

I just know that HG status does not remain throughout their whole career. Players fall off that status and the triggers are occasionally pretty debated. So I was concerned that no longer being on an HG contract would mean the league would take a big bite out of transfer proceeds.