2019-20 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a guarantee yet, 1) they gave Riley a number last year and he never signed: https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...-jersey-numbers-for-sporting-kc-mls-preseason
    2) They'll wait to the very last minute before the roster deadline to buy out his contract if they're going to, hoping to find another way to get out from under his contract.

Inca Roads repped this.
  2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's a good catch.

I still think we're stuck with him for now. But I have a tiny sliver of hope we'll find a way to have his contract not hamstringing our team for 2020.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lean towards we're going to be stuck with him as well, but at the same time I remember how late in the game LA dumped Giovani Dos Santos.

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes, but they dumped Gio to keep Zlatan. That's a whole new level of pressure right there.

And I feel like LA was very vocal about trying to get rid of GDS. SKC ownership hasn't said anything, and may be pressuring Vermes to get some quality out of Fontas rather than cut him.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair but at the same time, since Robb stepped back, ownership has tended to stay quiet on player matters minus Illig's 1 interview with the Star.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fair enough. I don't miss being aware of just how much our ownership would underdeliver on big signings when Robb would tease them and they'd fall apart, and I definitely don't miss his weird thing with Dom Oduro... but I do like seeing a bit more of the machinations like we used to.

mschofield repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just want to head into camp with all of our pieces at least contracturally on board. On that, WTF is wrong with our federation/probably league in deciding that the ideal transfer window should, effectively begin at the same time the season begins, and last into the season's third month? Why isn't it open now? Can Pulido (all Hail Pulido, bringer of life and joy) even actually join us before f'ing Feb 12?
    I mean, the window ends just about when the summer window opens. Push that window closed a month earlier, and therefore opened about a month earlier, and we've got a stew going. Is there some reason for the current plan? Did someone forget how to write down dates, and think that 12/02 meant December in the fifa world?

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the league that sets that window, the federation does, that's why the USL and other leagues that sign foreign players fall under the same guidelines.

Yes Pulido can join the club when preseason starts, he just can't officially be added to the roster until the 12th.

9. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Also keep in mind that the season was more like mid-March through December instead of the current late Feb through November, so the federation's decision of window is a bit less weird.

That said, I'd like to see it change a bit to match how the flagship league is running things. Be more supportive of the early starts. And running all the way till May is just bonkers shit. That's the season's fourth month, of nine. I wouldn't complain at all if the fed moved the window to something more like January through March. Wonder if this is something the CBA negotiations might affect, though I doubt the players care. Could at least cut back on random inter-league trades of unwilling or unknowing players, like Rwatubyaye last year?

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ives Galarcep folllowed it up with ...

Why would the Fire trade a good academy product considering the team's plethora of needs? Don't get the impression they're shopping him, but if they can't work out a deal it might be preferable to trade him rather than losing him for nothing ala Andrew Gutman.

With no draft picks and a need for young mobile CB/DM types, would this be something SKC would/could look into? Trading for someone else's Homegrown? It would presumably fill a need for us ... I know nothing about the player, but it seems like we have a need at the back end of our roster. It would allow us to not use an international spot on a young CB type like we did with Rwat (before trading him).

Just a thought ... carry on.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know enough about him to have an opinion.

12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you don't follow college soccer/scouting ... honestly, not many do. I'm just saying that IMO ... if a situation like this was a "fit" ... it would be a way around not having any draft assets/Homegrown players at that position.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seeing as the normal sources indicate he has one senior appearance for San Lorenzo (dM, 90 minutes) this year, and spent the rest of the Autumn watching from the stands, I think it would be safe to file this under the label of "not quite a blockbuster." He's young, though at 22, he should be making the bench, at least, i'd think. Transfermarkt (usual caveats) places his value at $135k, so while there are 18 months left on his contract, he shouldn't cost much. But while I would love to see our scouting at a place where we can pick diamonds out of a rough that is being intensely scrutinized for diamonds, in a best case scenario, he looks like a project, and more of one than Rwat.
    This article notes that he was pushed out of the 18 because they lost their opening Liberatores match (his one game this season). The implication being that if they'd won, he'd have played in that tournament. This seems like a really odd way to use a player. that said, SL is a pretty good club, and produces it's share of young talent.

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I get less a Rwat vibe and more a Jordi Quintilla one. It's more his age and league of origin that makes him intriguing, not anything he's ever accomplished.

Could be a great get, though. It's just impossible to really guess with so small a sample size.

Blando13 repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right, we wouldn't really know before he'd spent at least some time playing with skc2.

17. SKCKU

SKCKU New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan repped this.
  19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While true, at the same time if this is true, why would we carry four forwards in a 4-3-3 formation? Maybe Mbenza would be converted to a winger? Maybe the article is off, it's not $500K and he's signing with SKC2?

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree ... if it's a $500k ... then yeah, Hurtado/Shelton are no longer on the team or on the #9 depth chart (moved to wing). Maybe Pulido moves to the #10 spot because when Vermes said he would be the central striker, we didn't think this was an option for us ... now that it is, we're adjusting. So many things. Does a $500k type of signing mean we don't have the $$ for a significant midfield signing (that's more of a NEED?)? So many things to question with this rumor.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #321 mschofield, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    The Tunisian league is pretty strong and he's had a pretty solid season. Congo is a decent national side and he plays for them. This is the highlight package I found. He's obviously fast and strong, and he's goal hungry. He has six so far this season. He's a bit of a project, but he's a solid player and I could see him getting time with SKC. Downsides: We don't know much about him, and have no idea if he defends and harrasses the way PV will want him to. Edit to add: Very much a right foot shooter, goes to great lengths to avoid shooting with his left, at least in the highlights (MLS site has a better highlight package on him).
    But he's not unlike Hurtado in that he's fast and strong. He seems to have a better shot, but no idea if the defending is just weaker. His transfermarkt value is climbing, while Hurtado's is sinking, if that means anything. He's taller than Erik, and 10 years younger.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Danny Williams as a short term answer at box to box, of is that just doubling down on Roger's exact problems, aging legs and past injuries? In any case, I do wonder if we've been contacted.

23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This could be the indication that Vermes wants Shelton to see more time on the wing like he did before his season with us? If you say that Gerso, Salloi, Russell, and Shelton are our main wingers (with some utility of other players to step in in case of emergency), then Pulido and Hurtado are our only CFs. This signing could be to battle Hurtado for that spot?

He could be on the way out though, Hurtado. A fair few teams who need a seasoned, tireless pro up front to patch up their depth. I could see us locking in a tiny poke of allocation money to transfer him to Cincy or Nashville (or Miami as all their big deals keep falling apart).

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Star reporting we've re-signed Amadou Dia.

mschofield repped this.
  25. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't expect that, but that's not a horrible signing. He's been a solid performer for PHX Rising the last couple of years and we needed a backup for Martins.

mschofield repped this.