2019-20 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2019.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

xbhaskarx, Pl@ymaker and Stupid_American repped this.
  3. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Pl@ymaker and Peretz48 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There seems to be a lot of movement towards San Jose of late.
    Perhaps that has something to do with Almeyda.

If there's one club in a "good" youth soccer market that's had a difficult time breaking thru the established youth hierarchy.................its San Jose. Seeing good progress there.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  6. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think you nailed it- bringing in his guys. Also, his thoughts about playing style were telling. He's looking for a consistent style from the youngest through the 1st team. Whatever one's feelings are about the Mexican teams, whether youth or national, there's always a consistent, recognizable style. Whether he can pull that off at the LAG remains to be seen, but he does have some ambitious ideas.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Wonder who else is going............
    He's 15 years old and is already 6'1". Gonna be a big keeper.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    should be a good battle for the U17DA keeper spot between him and the kid they are bringing in from the East Coast for next year. The parents I talk to say the new kid is better and bigger than Antonio already so it will be a good competition.

Hiddy Ho and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Plenty of games to go around between the U17s, U19s, and NTSC.

Keeper is such a tough one as there's a loooooooooooong time before any of these academy players will hit their primes.

FCD has a bunch of keepers in the pipeline. A decision about Carlos Avilez needs to be made soon. It seems like he's been around forever, but he's still only 20. Ben Hale had a nice season at Furman, and one can see him getting signed as a homegrown. Then there's aaaaaaaaaaaaall the kids in the academy.

But, but, but..............is Jesse Gonzalez going anywhere? He's only 24 years old. He could be the starter for the first team for a decade.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    #12 Runhard, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Yea, but it doesn't seem like FCD likes to shift keepers that much. They usually pick one for the season and the back up watches a lot. Last year Collodi owned the 19s and Wilson owned the 17s. I think Carlos is the only non 1st team goalie to ever play for NTXSC. I know the Academy kids have been on the bench but don't think they have ever played, Collodi, Wilson or Schawl. Keeper is one of those spots where if you are not the MAN, you better be happy with a lot of practice and scrimmages. I recall NTXSC just signed another older keeper to back up Carlos so figure the Academy kids will get even less time there.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah................they signed a former FCD academy player Eduardo Cortes. With whatever first team keeper needs games (Maurer or Zobeck), Avilez, and now Cortes, there's no playing time at keeper for development academy players.

Eduardo Cortes went to 4 years of college at IUPUI, and also had stints at St Louis FC and Indy XI. He was also signed by FCD in 2017 to be a 3rd stringer for a short period. Then he left and played a bit with the Fort Worth Vaqueros. Now he's back at NTSC.

Just as a thought.............he's been thru all of that and he's still only 25.

So these guys like Collodi and Wilson know the likely path for them domestically is the NCAAs. Which isn't the worst thing in the world (see Zack Steffen, Brad Guzan, Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, etc. etc.) Or if they get the opportunity, Europe. But the same thing can happen to them in Europe that happens to young keepers in MLS. Our success rate of goalkeepers that go directly from American academies to Europe is very, very low. The numbers that go are low to begin with.

14. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Will be interesting to see the trend going forward on young keepers going to Europe. I know Wilson has a lot of interest from overseas so hopefully he leaves when he is 18. From there its a matter of luck and finding the right place to develop.

If Wilson stays this year he probably owns the 19s and Antonio and the new kid from the east coast fight it out for the 17s. Good to have competition.

Hiddy Ho repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here are some highlights of an '05 YNT player. I've yet to see him play, but from watching these highlights, he looks like a very explosive winger who can combine, but lacks change of direction, skill or creativity.

1153053800053301249 is not a valid tweet id

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  16. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    The schedule is not out there yet, but there is a value in the schedule drop down for the 2019-20 Boys DA Cup. Proof they are going to model the boys schedule similar to the announced changes on the girls side.
    upload_2019-7-24_10-22-2.png

17. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    #17 BraveUpNorth, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    They also currently do not have the club maps up on the site. Must be in the process of updating these for 19-20 as well. We are getting close!

Edit: Map is there now. Some cool drop down functionality on it this year.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    There are now games listed through September for the boys DA Cup.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    TarHeels17, ckajMonet, gogorath and 5 others repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    don Lamb repped this.
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that barca az academy was pretty impressive, no? thinking brooks lennon, araujo, and hoppe

22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure I have this somewhat wrong, but Lennon was RSL AZ, which was on the same facilities but completely different orgs. Right?

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    That's correct. Once RSL moved their academy from Casa Grande, FC Barcelona set up their American academy there.

24. RetVaCoach

RetVaCoach New Member

USMNT
    United States
    Jan 16, 2019
    Interesting.

Looks like it's tiered. In my area for example, they have a Northeast/Atlantic Division which has all MLS clubs plus a few of the most competitive non-MLS DAs (Bethesda, PDA, Balt Armour) http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/regevent/index.php?containerId=MTI1NDU5NDA=&partialGames=1 ; and then along side that they have 2 divisions with less competitive non-MLS DAs - Northeast (http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/regevent/index.php?containerId=MTI1NDU5NDA=&partialGames=1), and PA/VA: (http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/regevent/index.php?containerId=MTI1NDU5NDA=&partialGames=1). As far as I can tell they did the same thing in other areas.

Initial thoughts:

1. Strange there's been zero publicity about this. Not even an announcement on the website.
    2. I wonder if there will still be league play in addition to the cup schedule. The cup games are all Sat/Sun, and the schedule looks pretty intensive - 8 matches in the Fall for the NE/Atlantic -- which doesn't leave too many open weekends.
    3. This looks like a pretty good way to give MLS clubs what they wanted in order to keep them in the DA. At the same time I'm glad they included some of the more competitive non-MLS clubs in the top divisions.
    4. Travel in the top divisions looks like it's going to be pretty crazy.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  25. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Anyone have any info on the Fire U19 dropping from the DA. Would be an absolute shame but I heard it may be a possibility.