2018 World Cup Roster: Dream Team.

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by dapip, Oct 11, 2017.

?

What is our weakest position?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2018.
  1. Goalie

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Second Goalie

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Left Back

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Defensive Midfield

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Winger

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dream roster?

Would include 20 year old Oliver Kahn, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi(that wasn’t a pecho frio, Yepes, Maldini..... obviously Colombian and just magically pop up out of nowhere come WC time. Would really love 3 random phenoms popping up before the summer.

As for realistic. Honestly I am happy with our national team and the starting line up other then Abel and Sanchez hopes that is figured out or they get more playing time in the next couple months.

CBs super happy with tho really hope Zapata doesn’t start and really sucks he wasn’t loaned out.

Wingbacks.... no real back ups but with Armero and Zuniga back who knows. Weak spot

GKs - super weak but Argentina went to the final with Romero who is way way worse then Ospina and has less minutes last time out

MF - think we have a super solid MF they just need to be match fit. I don’t hate Abel.... he like Yepes was my favorite player when I was younger he just super old and doesn’t ever play for his club which is a problem. Sanchez is solid he just shouldn’t be a starter when we have younger better options that can actually pass the ball.

Attacking MF - where we have our best guys after CBs. Comes down to if we want to play 2 or 3 of them

FWs - it’s Falcao + who ever is in best form. Depends on form Muriel, Zapata and Bacca would be my choices based on current form and players Pekerman usually picks. I also prefer Borja 100x over Teo. Tho wouldn’t mind if a godlike striker pops up between now and the WC

My shock call up will be the Hernandez kid in Spain. If he took Quintero last time that kid has a shot. And Arbolera the goalie of Banfield.

2. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not sure if anyone watched the Junior Vs Olimpia game but Farid Dias played a hell of a game last night against Junior. and FYI Cucho Hernandez is out like 2 months. He broke a bone on his foot. He's definitely not going now.

dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I did watch the match last night. And you're right, Farid was solid in defense and also intelligent on attack side. To be fair all 3 of Olimpia's Colombians played a heck of a match. Cuero was MOTM in my opinion. No one could stop him on that wing.

The other CL match SF vs Tachira, good result for SF but Robinson Zapata looked really weak in several plays, including goals allowed. If SF wants to make a deep run in CL, they need another option in GK. Hopefully Robinson stays far away from the NT.

4. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea that guy Cuero was the best player on that field. He made that right back look like an amateur lol.. and about Rufay wow.. He looked terrible. I think Leandro Castellanos is due to come back any minute from what i heard.

5. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Flipmode2000 and dapip repped this.
  6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Let's talk about our 35 --

My list:

GK:
    1.OSPINA
    2.CASTELLANOS
    3. VARGAS
    4. ARBOLEDA

DEFENDERS:
    5. Y.MINA
    6. D.SANCHEZ
    7. O.MURILLO
    8. J.MURILLO
    9. C.ZAPATA
    10. ARIAS
    11. FARID
    12. FABRA
    13. J.MOJICA
    14. B.ESPINOZA
    15. BALANTA
    16. S.MEDINA

MIDFIELDERS:
    17. JAMES
    18. CARDONA
    19. CUADRADO
    20. IZQUIERDO
    21. C.SANCHEZ
    22. BARRIOS
    23. LERMA
    24. M.URIBE
    25. ABEL
    26. D.TORRES

FW/STRIKERS:
    27. FALCAO
    28. BORJA
    29. BACCA
    30. MURIEL
    31. D.ZAPATA
    32. TEO
    33. CHARA
    34. PARDO
    35. DAYRO

With the exception of GK where it's really difficult to find 2-3 spots to fill, we have plenty of options.

On the outer rim with some remote chance of getting in this list of 35: JFQuintero if he has a stellar 2 months with River Plate and Gio because he's been in the last couple of call-ups.

krass and Furnaccio repped this.
  7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How is Bonilla doing? Equidad did well last season. Also Envigado has a young Colombian keeper that has started last 2 season + Cuadrado Of Once Caldas :)

I mean I have hope Armani will come if we Argentina doesn’t call him in March.

I know your list is realistic but you putting down Medina and Balanta made me throw up a little bit

8. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He just got injured.. fractured something on his foot. Out two months.

pepinointer repped this.
  9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Bonilla shouldn't be anywhere close to the NT. I don't see Pekerman tying out too many new/novice GKs but I threw in Arboleda's name as I do see a + that he's being tested in Argentina and in international tourneys like CL. 3 out of the 4 Colombian teams in CL competition are all foreigners. I think Armani won't be on that list.

HomietheClown and pepinointer repped this.
  10. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #60 Flipmode2000, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Looks good.. except I don't see Jeison Murillo making the list since he just got re injured and would be out for a couple months again. I also just read that C. Zapata hasn't played a game in 67 days..that's not looking good for him.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  11. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    ugh, I thought he had that injury a while ago but it sounds like he still needs more time. The list is due in May so one would think he's got some time? I also like F.Meza (Tigres-Mex) over Tesillo so I would put him on that list if Murillo can't come back in time. We could also include Gustavo Cuellar and add to our MF options and do the best we can with the list of defenders at our disposal.

12. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    @kromekote

nice list... maybe JFQ should be added depending on his perfomance in the next months with River

13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuadrado was the last goalie that play for us and did it much better than castellanos that now is injuured.......he is above castellanos and arboleda.

The other option that i can see is that if Chunga finally take the starting spot of Junior (people is asking that to the coach) he can deserve a called up (the guy is reallly good)

14. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I have to say Viera looked very shaky in CL.

15. Garbimba

Garbimba Member

Deportivo Cali
    Colombia
    Feb 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My 23 list:

GK
    Ospina
    Vargas
    Castellanos

DF
    Zapata
    Mina
    Sanchez
    Fabra
    Arias
    Orejuela

MF

James
    Cuadrado
    Roca
    Abel
    Cuellar
    Gio
    Mojica
    Izquierdo
    Lerma

FW

Falcao
    Duvan
    Muriel
    Chara
    Pardo

Maybe one or two changes but I think just like last world cup there will be some young ones going (Orejuela, Lerma*) and some last minute surprises (Izquierdo, Mojica)

dapip repped this.
  16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Orejuela???? a guy that plays in the youth division of ajax....dont think so...Lerman would be the sub right back

Gio wont play until april with his club......he shouldnt go.

kromekote repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #67 dapip, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    GK:
    1.OSPINA
    2.CASTELLANOS - I think he is done with the NT. Cuadrado won that spot.
    3. VARGAS - At least he's playing now. We'll see.
    4. ARBOLEDA - He has a chance

DEFENDERS:
    5. Y.MINA
    6. D.SANCHEZ

7. O.MURILLO - Playing consistently helps his case
    8. J.MURILLO - Injury prone apparently
    9. C.ZAPATA - Not playing hurts his case
    10. ARIAS
    11. FARID
    12. FABR
    A
    13. J.MOJICA - Worth considering ahead of either Fabra or Farid
    14. B.ESPINOZA - Only if 3 out of the first 5 can't make it.
    15. BALANTA - His main virtue is versatility.
    16. S.MEDINA - I think he's not in Pekerman's plans anymore

MIDFIELDERS:
    17. JAMES
    18. CARDONA
    19. CUADRADO

20. IZQUIERDO - Hopefully is called up.
    21. C.SANCHEZ
    22. BARRIOS - I think he lost his spot to Lerma
    23. LERMA - Probably will go
    24. M.URIBE - Very unlikely
    25. ABEL
    26. D.TORRES - Is he even playing?

FW/STRIKERS:
    27. FALCAO
    28. BORJA - I don't think he offers anything special but a good season could help him
    29. BACCA
    30. MURIEL
    31. D.ZAPATA

32. TEO - A lot of pros and a lot of cons but he works well in the system
    33. CHARA - Naaaah...
    34. PARDO - Marginal
    35. DAYRO - Only if catastrophe hits and 6 people are injured.

I think that Cristian Borja, Aviles Hurtado and Quinterito also have outside shots...

crzdcolombian and pepinointer repped this.
  18. Garbimba

Garbimba Member

Deportivo Cali
    Colombia
    Feb 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah Orejuela is more on my wishlist, but if we want to think of the future (which Pekerman always does), he has the potential to replace Arias in future games. Obviously he needs to play in first division which he is probably going to very soon. If not his spot will be open and hopefully not for Medina. Gio is very unique so I'm hoping he makes it but again one of those who may be changed.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    world cup wont be the scenary for orejuele..

Lerma was the one that played as rb in the last match and he was better than medina

Gio is very unique but useless........dont add more goals, assistenance than cardona or even quintero.

dapip repped this.
  20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #70 crzdcolombian, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    10 of 23 spots taken
    1.)Ospina
    2.)Arias
    3.)Fabra
    4.)Mina
    5.)Davison Sanchez
    6.)James
    7.)Cuadrado
    8.)Falcao
    9.)2nd goalie? Castellanos?
    10.) 3rd goalie - Vargas?

I like the 4-2-2-2 we played in 2013 the best
    ——————Ospina———————
    Arias——-Mina———-Sanchez—-Fabra
    ————Sanchez*——-Abel*———
    Cuadrado ————————-James
    ————-Falcao————-*********——
    In a 4-2-3-1
    ——————Ospina———————
    Arias——-Mina———-Sanchez—-Fabra
    ————Sanchez*——-Abel*———
    Cuadrado ——-James**————-********
    ———————-—-Falcao—

This one Mojica or Izquerido could be awesome LMs. Or James at LM with Cardona at AMF/Quintero

We play a 4-2-2-2 or a 4-2-3-1 so two starting MFs. Really hope it’s not Carlos Sanchez and Abel together but dont see both of them not coming
    11.) Carlos Sanchez - did a smart thing moving for playing time. Need to test out Barrios/Cuellar/Lerma in this spot
    12.) Abel - getting more play time will he have enough gas. I don’t see him getting cut

2 CBs - we need 4 ones that can play diff spots might be key
    2 wingbacks - again can be utlitiy players
    2 more strikers at least even if we play with 1 man up top

Basically to me we have 11 spots up for grabs. Well 13 spots as (2 have to be goalies and don’t think any are set in stone)

My biggest wish list is Lerma gets his chance at DM against France and doesn’t disappoint and is the starter in that role.

As for players performance I hope that Mercado finally wins a spot in Belgium and is a last minute addition to the NT as we need fking LBs. Also that Arbolera in Argentina is the real deal at GK. Or any other 2nd string GK pops up.

Vargas is ok at best failed everywhere after leaving Dep cali, Cuadrado and Castellanos are over 33 and haven’t had incredible careers either.

21. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    If nothing special happens, Colombia will play this way:
    ----------------Ospina
    Arias---Mina---Sanchez---Fabra
    -----------Abel------Sanchéz-------
    JGC-------James------Cardona
    -------------Falcao

Buuuuuttttt then again Pekerman knows that the other teams already know how we play so he'll probably make some changes at least some tactical ones.

Nevertheless, these 11 are going to the WC. So taking our the other 2 goalies, in the other 10 players we will face some suprises.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Gracias Faryd.

krass and pepinointer repped this.
  23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

dapip repped this.
  24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For me Cardona isn’t as safe as you guy make it out to be out of the starting like up he is the one with a spot least set in stone he is a super sub and if we play a with 2 strikers he will eat bench. Plus the Korea issue with him hurt him.

In a 4-2-3-1 wouldn’t a chara, Izquerido or Mojica be a much better option because of their speed?

I def see him in Russia but he can easily lose his spot depending on how Quintero does. Or Gio(Pekerman loves him I think he is hot garbage)

25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Once you get to about 24 or so players I was really starting to dig deep for options. For the March friendlies we'll need 23 but for the May call-ups, I expect Pekerman to take advantage and call on all 35 spots. FYI - D.Torres has been playing. Not as much of a starter as he was last year but he's on the rotation.

don't disagree with the overall comments and I do see Chara getting a shot in the list of 35. Borja while playing for Pekerman has shown moments of brilliance (vs Ecuador) so he'll be on that list as well. Dayro is just filler # for that list and we can easily put in Aviles H., or any other striker who's having a good run at the moment. That being said Dayro has had impressive numbers for Liga/career and has played under Pekerman so I wouldnt be so shocked. I don't like Medina or Balanta either but it's one less obstacle for Pekerman to deal with...I mean I think we all know he's already got the list for about 16-18 guys, having 15-17 guys fight for those last spots.

crzdcolombian and dapip repped this.