2018 World Cup Roster: Dream Team.

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by dapip, Oct 11, 2017.

?

What is our weakest position?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2018.
  1. Goalie

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Second Goalie

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Left Back

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Defensive Midfield

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Winger

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekerman has 9 months and a lot of holes to plug. Just a few positions are set and even then, injuries or drop in quality may happen. What are in your opinion the most glaring needs for our NT ?

Goalies?
    LB?
    CM?
    Wingers?

I'm happy with our CBs, and we have a nice combo between James, Cuadrado and Falcao. We need to figure the rest of the squad, although another 10-15 are pretty obvious.

Any wildcards? Any new talent worth checking?

2. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2 Baal88, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    The best we have is central defenders, so Pekerman should switch to a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, hope for the best and send Arias and Fabra to their respective teams, I don't like either.

If the players stay healthy my approach would be this:

-------------Ospina (we don't have anything better)

D. Sanchez----Mina----J. Murillo

Uribe----Cuellar----Lerma-----Mojica

Cuadrado-----Falcao------Hames

I would take Orejuela, Machado, Izquierdo, Cucho to give the team different variations.

----------Ospina
    D. Sanchez----Mina----J. Murillo

Orejuela----Cuellar----Barrios-----Machado

---------------James
    Cucho------------------Falcao

crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like your thinking. I however think that in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, both Arias and Fabra could function, since they don't have to backtrack so much. Hopefully Cuellar, Lerma and Barrios develop enough so Sanchez role is diminished. I don't think either Uribe or Mojica are fitted to play so wide, so this is how I'd play what is available today:

-------------------Ospina
    Sanchez----Mina-----Murillo
    ----Barrios/Cuellar--Lerma
    Cuadrado----James----Izquierdo/Mojica
    -------Falcao----Duvan/Muriel

A more offensive minded lineup would be a 3-1-3-1-2

------------------Ospina
    Sanchez----Mina-----Murillo
    ------Barrios/Cuellar
    Cuadrado----Cardona----Fabra
    ------------James
    ----Falcao--------Muriel/Duvan

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A starting GK and going to 3 in the back. Would fix a lot of our problems. It would make Sanchez irrelevant because we have him on the team for counter purposes. 3 cbs and 2 CMs who can pass/defend should be more then enough Dapip I love your 1st team but way way too many will they fit. That is what friendlies are for

But between Celis,Cuellar, Barrios, Lerma, Sebastian Perez, Daniel Torres and any other kid that pops up think we are good.

If we play a our best position a 4-2-2-2

———————Ospina——————
    Arias——Mina———Sanchez——Fabra
    ————-Player A —— Player B———
    Cuadrado —————————James
    ————Falcao————Player C

Ok I really want another LB,RB as at least subs but we desperately need 2 CMs and to figure out our Cf situation.

Loved Duvan but he needs to score more for Samp, sams as Muriel for Sevilla, Córdoba in Germany. We def got options. Hope we drop Teo, Bacca. Their time is done.

CMs I mentioned it above

What I like about the 4-2-2-2 is Cardona can be one of our CMs against a crappier team or if we need a result. Always thought of him as a way better Guarin and that’s where Guarin played. But for the love of god please never again two #5a that can’t pass

5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My eleven in THIS MOMENT:

i want armani...

arias is bad

---------------------Ospina------------------

arias----Davinson----Mina.------Fabra---

---------------Wilmar--------Cuellar-----

-----Cuadrado---------james----Cardona--

----------------------Falcao----------------

6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Not impressed wth Wilmar just yet. I've watched him at Boca and I get that he's an anchor (and one of the most consistent) but with the yellow he still seems quite lost. Likely it has to do with Sanchez and Pekerman's lineup.

Going back to the lineup issue. I just see very few plays where we're exploiting space. There was one play in the 1st half where even though we were in our attacking 1/3 not one player made an overlapping run. It may be that Pekerman likely wanted to strongly caution how and when we attacked but the best defense is creating offensive opportunities so we can score.

dapip, Azucarero and crzdcolombian repped this.
  7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My Roster of 23 - There are a few question marks, but this is based on what is realistic and who we have been seeing in action

GK (3):
    Ospina - Please get on a new team next transfer window or hire some goons to take out Peter Cech (it's a joke...kind of)
    Backup 1 - ????
    Backup 2 - ???? - i wish FIFA could change the rules for 2nd backup GK; stats indicate this GK is rarely necesary

CB (4):
    Davinson - Has really come up since the Brazil 1-1 game, I don't mind him starting at any time
    Yerry - Wishing for a speedy recovery, i would love for him to be a starter for any game, his presence in the box on corners will make us dangerous in Russia
    C. Zapata - will likely be a starting CB b/c of his experience, Milan supporters tell me he stinks at the club level =(
    Oscar Murrilo - Suprisingly we used him in nearly half of the WCQs. Kind of player that is not as visible as Mina, but he when called upon, he is pretty reliable.

RB (2):
    Arias - He's been our guy in this role for quite some time.
    Medina - Versatile, would like to see him get some minutes prior to Russia

LB (2):
    Fabra - Has come a long way since Chile game 16CA;
    Backup 1 - ??? Would like to see Johan Mojica get a call up again. his pace still stands out in my mind

DM (4):
    Roca Sanchez - he's our man in the deep midfield, his offense is meh, but defensively, he does not get enough credit
    Abel - His situation is interesting, doesn't play for Cali but is one of the leaders for the NT and he provides a good balance from what Roca brings to the table
    Barrios - Will probably be future DM of the NT. A full season at Boca will prepare him well for Russia
    Backup - Lots of options to test before Russia: Celis, Cuellar, Lerma, Dani Torres

AM (5):
    James - hopefully Bayern gets on track after their shaky start to the season and James is integral to their success. pressure will be on James to lead Colombia's attack. 2014: Became a household name; 2018: spotlight will be on him to bring the same magic he had in 2014
    Cuadrado - Similar to James, teams know about him a lot more now than they did in 2014. Would like to see him in a super sub role from time to time to shake things up.
    Cardona - fat boy loves his empanadas, but has that sixth sense near the goal and was involved in several goals for Colombia.
    Muriel - missed out on 2014, but should go to Russia, similar to Cuadrado in 14, Muriel is the kind of player who wants the ball and wants to be the guy making the runs and creating chances for others
    Chara - earned his stripes these past few WCQs in a super sub role. as long as he plays regularly at the club level, we will see him in Russia

FW (3):
    Falcao - Glad to see him healthy and scoring goals for both club and country. i personally thought he was done when he was in England, but I am glad he got back on track. Hoping to see him score 5 goals in Russia. if anyone is going to be a man on a mission, it is Falcao
    Duvan - His style of play is physical and despite his limited appearances, he left behind a good impression. Give him some more minutes in friendlies leading up to WC for him to work with Falcao and to increase confidence.
    Bacca - was our go to striker for most of WCQs and 16CA and part of 15CA, but his status on the NT has diminished over time. If he can find a groove at the club level, we should include him for Russia, if not then Teo?

Teo does not make my list - he has been been underwhelming in the 5 appearances he made during the WCQs - Pekerman has always had a hard-on for him but the x-factor ability he brought to the table in the 14 WCQs is just not there today.

I also like Jeison Murillo and Tesillo, but with Mina, Davinson, Zapata, Oscar seeing the most playing time over the past year, i don't think either get an invite unless they become beastmode rest of season.

8. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    We'll need to see how Izquierdo's season progresses and would also like to start seeing a couple other forwards who can play the #9 a bit differently: Chucho and Morelos. Not saying these 2 should be called up but I would keep my eyes on both as they're becoming standouts in their teams.
    Also, if with Mina and Sanchez in the middle, that would be a really strong CB duo. I also see M.Uribe playing a bigger role in Pekerman's lineup.

Furnaccio repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Great observations. I would like to see Izquierdo to make some progress this season. It would be nice for Pekerman to have a high class problem in choosing his attackers.

I forgot to include Uribe in my list of Midfielders. He is another that should be tested out in the upcoming friendlies.

10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    another player who i omitted is Mac Torres - the dude has featured in 8 or 9 games in each of the past 3 WCQ cycles. very impressive, but I kinda feel bad that he will likely not be on the final roster. being kept off two world cup teams despite featuring in 50% of the WCQs can be a tough pill to swallow

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I prefer Mac to Gio Moreno

Hope Teo, Carlos Sanchez, Abel, Cristian Zapata and Bacca are all dropped for better and younger options.

Only one of those I can see surviving is C Sanchez because we want to shut down a game he is our best option

But C. Zapata and Oscar Murillo? Think way way better options. Zapata only if he moves in the winter.

12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ***Teo - doesn't do anything for me anymore, i don't mind if he stays at home
    -----------------------------------
    ***Roca - unless he's injured or in jail, he's going to Russia and will likely start
    ----------------------------------
    ***Abel - i hope his match fitness at the club level improves between now and June. I can't see him not going.
    ***C. Zapata - same as Abel, i can't see Pekerman leaving out Zapata and going with a
    group of defenders who each have single digit # of appearances for Colombia
    ***Bacca - i agree with you. i wouldn't lose any sleep if Bacca was not on the final list. i still think he will get the nod though.
    ***Oscar Murillo - i think he's a solid squad member - who do you think is better? there's a reason OM started in 7 consecutive WCQs and 2 of the final 4. he's not as high profile as Mina or Davinson, but i think he is a dependable defender when called upon

let's be realistic here - Pekerman is not going to call up 23 players that differ significantly from what we have seen over the past 2 years. there are some tweaks he can do between now and June with regards to tactics and how we control a game

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

23 players

3 GK
    7 Defenders
    8 Midfielders
    5 Attackers

Goalies:

Ospina
    Castellanos
    Vargas

Defenders:

Arias
    Fabra
    Diaz
    C. Zapata
    D. Sanchez
    Mina
    1 Wildcard

Midfielders:

C. Sanchez
    Aguilar
    Barrios
    James
    Cuadrado
    Cardona

2 Wildcards

Attackers:

Falcao
    Muriel
    Chara
    D. Zapata

1 Wildcard

That's my list, Pekerman won't go very far from it. Probably will go for polifunctional players, like Tesillo (I think he can play LB) instead of Murillo.

There will be like 8 or 10 players fighting for 3-4 openings in the roster. I really don't see a lot of space for strange call ups like Chucho, or Morelos, although I think that so far the most ignored high quality player is Izquierdo.

We'll see.

Furnaccio repped this.
  14. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Ibarbo joined the WC roster mainly from friendly performances post WC qualification, so if there's a need there's a way. With Gago out for many months Seba will likely have a chance in Boca to gain some solid minutes. Hopefully he can get back in the mix as well.

dapip repped this.
  15. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    These would be my 23 players

1.Ospina
    2.Castellanos
    3.Vargas

Defenders:

4.Arias
    5.Fabra
    6.Medina
    7.C. Zapata
    8.D. Sanchez
    9.Mina
    10.O Murillo

Midfielders:

11.C. Sanchez
    12.Aguilar
    13.Barrios
    14.James
    15.Cuadrado
    16.Cardona
    17.Gio
    18. Barrios

Attackers:

19.Falcao
    20.Muriel
    21.Chara
    22.D. Zapata
    23. Teo/Bacca

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Since "dream" is the key word to this thread, I'm gonna throw out something I've been thinking about for a long time:

The dilemma for some time now for Pekerman has been balancing out having 3 standout attacking midfielders (James, Cuadrado, and Cardona) and getting our star striker (Falcao) in the best possible condition. We've seen time and again how stranded he looks in the 4231 and, barring another tragedy, we know he's going to be in the starting 11 in every match of the world cup. James and Cardona have been the key game changers for us throughout the qualifiers, but how do you sit Cuadrado when you have weak fullbacks and a generally slow midfield?

I think the solution could come in the form of Lerma. He's the only guy who has the dynamism to pull off being the lone man in the central midfield. Duvan played awesomely next to Falcao. A 4132 is risky as hell with our fullbacks, but it maximizes our offensive talent if done right.

This, of course, is more fantasy than dream. Lerma hasn't even been called up...

So, my more reasonable dream is that Sebastian Perez takes advantage of Gago's injury and starts doing for Boca what he did for Nacional. Aguilar is a boss, but the guy is visibly deteriorating.

colombianballa91 repped this.
  17. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Not necessarily. Pablo Perez is a boss, and they can easily switch up to a 4231.

Sebastian left on the lowest note possible before his injury. He has a hell of an uphill battle ahead of him. His luck comes in the form of Barrios. Most of Sebas' minutes, Boca had him playing as the 5. Whatever minutes he does get from here on, it'll be in the position he's more comfortable in.
    Couldn't agree with you more. It's not just him; the whole team goes out of sync when Barrios comes on or brightens up when he comes off.

Sanchez is my boy. But if you're keeping Barrios on the roster, the kid's gotta get a few starts in friendlies with Sanchez on the bench. Let's see what he's made of.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Question - i'm sure there is not a direct correlation, but you guys notice that in these past two games, Colombia gave up goals right after Barrios subbed in? Appears to be some sort of miscommunication or shuffle going on that leads to a goal.....

Azucarero repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You really want to see Barrios make the roster, huh?

Furnaccio repped this.
  20. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios needs to prove himself before starting, so far he's been pretty poor every time he's on. If people don't like Sanchez abilities on the ball, I think barrios I worse, not ability on the ball but his passing and awareness is very poor.

I think we should give a 3-4-3 a try. Call up Mojica, play him and cuadrado as wings backs. Cuadrado offensively has been pretty poor for a while, I think he can offer more with his workrate and width disciplined as wingback.

The CM pairing is the biggest question, Sanchez's lack of playing is killing his ability on the ball, with 3 at the back we won't need his defensively abilities as much. Maybe we can use someone Lerma there and try to see if someone like Cardona can play a bit of a mixto next to him.

Up top play two strikers and James. Falcao obviously and someone between Duvan and Muriel, depending on the opponent.

Subs can be players like chara and one of the other strikers. And we can add a midfielder or fullbacks to switch the formation to more defensive or change schematics.

If we go for this I would call:

1. David Ospina
    2. Vargas
    3. Wildcard

4. Arias
    5. Fabra
    6. C. Zapata
    7. D. Sanchez
    8. Mina
    9. O. Murillo/ J. Murillo

10. C. Sanchez
    11. Aguilar
    12. Barrios
    13. Lerma
    14. James
    15. Cuadrado
    16. Cardona
    17. Cuellar/ wildcard CM (Sebastian ?)/ An offensive player
    18. Mojica

19. Falcao
    20. Duvan Zapata
    21. Muriel
    22. Chara
    23. Teo/Bacca/wildcard

Wildcards really depends on who performs this season. Also might drop a wildcard striker for a CB if we go 3 at back, and back up RB if we stay 4 at back. Also might drop barrios for Lerma is he outperforms his in upcoming friendlies and add a mixto CM.

dapip and Azucarero repped this.
  21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    PPerez is also a hot/cold player. Without Gago's support and depending on how Cardona performs in MF Seba will have plenty of chances. However, these ACL injuries can be career killers.

22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    FOLKS LISTEN UP.... Pekerman is almost 70. With that, he's been coaching the Colombian NT for about 7 years with 2 world cup appearances, 2 Copa Americas, 2 WCQualifiers, friendlies, countless ups an downs, tip rankings, yadayadayada.... and he has NEVER gone with a staring line of 3 in the back! Why would he do so now! STOP ASKING for A LINE OF 3 in the back.

Don't disagree with the roster but players have to step up! Cuadrado didnt have a great game vs Peru but HE PLAYED one of his best games for the team...he hustled. James, complained maybe once about his toes, otherwise he ran and made it count when it mattered. Falcao was always a presence. Guys called up to step up like Duvan also exceeded expectations given the pressure. That's what makes a team....guys that play with urgency and drive. BIG difference. Many of those 23 mentioned above would make most starting 11 in almost every NT.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He finally has the CBs to do it and we lack a top quality RB and LB

You need to change with your best roster

24. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I honestly believe the team would click a lot better with 2 box to box cm ahead of Roca. Maybe Uribe-Cuellar? I just can't stand to see Abel anymore. I know he's a vet and brings experience but you need the most elite in form players at all times but the guys just past it. I'd be okay with it if he was still at a decent club in Europe but he's not even starting....for Cali.

Tio Nicci repped this.
  25. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    I think we alle agree that our 23 players for the WC are more or less those mentioned before.That being said, regardless of the players Colombia will need to rethink the way to play.
    Today, we arent playing as a team that can reach at least the same stage as in the last WC in Brazil.