Pre-match: 2018 World Cup Qualifying: USA vs Honduras; March 24th in San Jose

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The bolded is the whole problem.

RCB is not a position. The position is CB.

Play your best two CB's, regardless of what is their strong foot. I don't know why thats such a hard concept.

rlrcpa, Gilma1990, CU soccer and 4 others repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That lineup would (or could, in any case) function very much like the setup Portland has been using this preseason, with great success. Two not-true-wingers pinching in and getting overlapping runs from fullbacks, thus providing width. Doubt that's in Arena's plans though.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Cameron isn't available then it comes down to Besler or Hedges for me. Hedges doesn't get mentioned by anyone because he had a small injury which kept him from playing against a Jamaican B/C team. I imagine Arena saw enough of him in camp against better players to know whether he can trust him in a qualifier. Is it ideal to play him the first time at CB in a qualifier? No, but Cameron may not be ready, Besler is also returning from an injury, Birnbaum isn't as good in my opinion, Gonzalez hasn't been good for the national team lately (Arena may know how to play him though) and I don't think Zimmerman is quite ready yet. Hedges should have been getting a lot of backup minutes that instead went to others the last few years. Usually an American defender of the year candidate for two years in a row in MLS is a cinch to get at least a shot.

4. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that depends.

Most of the primary responsibilities of a center back - defending crosses, marking the center forward, tackling, etc. - do not depend on one foot or the other being dominate. But the more you require distribution from the back or the more you require center backs to get up into the attack, the more important it is to factor left footed or right footed into the decisions. When you think about it, 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 formations tend to crowd the midfield in part to reduce the space fullbacks have to attack. That often leaves space in front of the center backs to exploit - and that requires at least one of the center backs to be good on the ball. Now if you have two A+ right footed center backs and your best left footer is a C, you're going to play the two best - the right footers. But if your pool quality is more narrow and you want distribution/attack from the back, then the foot dominance is a factor in the the decision making.

So I think you're right or you're wrong, depending on what the coach wants to accomplish

truefan420 and juveeer repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There's a first time for everything!

There's no time like the present!

6. Berg Antiturf

Berg Antiturf New Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Go with Besler for now, the future being Hedges then CCV.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I know we collectively at BS have gone round and round on this issue, but I'm still firmly in the camp that footedness isn't/shouldn't be a factor when selecting CBs.

rlrcpa and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    But there is.

You might have to play someone on the side where they are less comfortable due to circumstances, but don't act like it doesn't matter.

And it doesn't even have to do with "footedness". Some right footed players are fine with both feet, but play primarily on the left.

IndividualEleven and tomásbernal repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Our player pool works in a way where our two best CB's are left-footed, and the third best CB might not be fit for this match. Everyone else is of significantly lower quality, IMO.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So what you have to play a player where they are slightly less comfortable? I'm sure there are players who are more comfortable playing LW who play RW and vice-versa. Doesn't mean you should play clear lesser quality players because of it.

11. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    So you're saying we should play our best players out of their comfort zone?

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Slightly out of their comfort zone is better than playing clear inferior players, IMO. I don't really consider it that much out of their comfort zone. CB's are CB's.

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how do you decide up to what point player A, outside their comfort zone, is still superior to player B in their comfort zone? You've got the most in-depth working knowledge of everything around here so please provide us your graphs and charts.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I don't. Its just my opinion.

As I said, I don't believe its that much outside their comfort zone, so its not really something I am considering. If I see it becoming a problem on the field, I would then consider changes. Until then, I am not going to just assume it will be a problem.

15. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was speaking generally, of course. Keeping it high level, the choice comes down to two questions;

1. How important is distribution and attack from the center back position to your tactics? The more important it is, the more comfort on the ball and pairing left/right footed players is. Not necessarily the deciding factor, but it matters more. (I think the idea that center backs are two big guys that beat up forwards and knock away crosses is out dated, by the way. I think at least one of the two has to be a good passer.)

2. How significant is the drop off from your two strongest to your best left/right pair? If it's steep - there is no problem. Go with the two best. If it's smaller, weigh the defensive loss against the offensive gain. That will often come down to match ups.

As for our current roster, I largely agree with you even if I think out pool is a little stronger than you seem to.

Side note: None of this is about "comfort zones". You can put a "wrong footed"'guy in a spot, but you tailor his role to match his abilities. JK would throw guys anywhere and say, "want it more" as the extent of his tactical advice. Good coaches devise a tactical plan that emphasizes strength and seeks to minimize weakness. That's what we never got with the previous regime

16. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup being a young mans tournament does not correlate with the facts. The average age for a WC player in 2014 was 26.9. The previous 3 WC had an average if 27.5.

For example in 2014 there were only 10 players 20 and under on all WC teams. Compare this to players that are 28 and there are 75 players players on all teams.

I argue the WC is an experienced mans game. Meaning most players that get most minutes are 25 plus.

Guinho and Mr Martin repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Passes in the final third have been a problem for the team. A frontline of Pulisic, Wood, and Nagbe would go some ways toward addressing the issue.

18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'd play Carter-Vickers before I played Hedges and I wouldn't think twice about it.

19. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But most WC coaches and more importantly Arena might not.

Even Brooks who scored a goal did not get many minutes in 2014. I think he had 45 after Besler came out injured, and Besler came back in the rest of the games and played all the minutes.

deuteronomy repped this.
  20. jazzhands

jazzhands Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Portland, OR
    disagree. that looks like a solid creative lineup. arena (nor any US coach) has the balls to play two creative midfielders. i actually think if benny and sascha played together we could work some magic in the middle of the field.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Fabian and Yedlin at lb/rb will be key against Honduras. Just watched Yedlin today in Newcastle v Villa and he has really learned how to play from Benitez. Hopefully he will be allowed to play his game.

If Yedlin were not available we could play VFana or Besler at lb and Fab at rb.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you consider Besler to be one of if not the best CB in the pool and a few years ago I would have agreed with you but at the moment I'm not sure Hedges is not better. He's been better in MLS and his team has done better the last few years. Now Besler has a huge advantage in national team experience and that is definitely a factor in the next two must win games but I think there is sort of a free for all in CD's where Brooks is best on paper but played shockingly poor the last time out and Cameron might be better in midfield. Mix in a bunch of very young up and comers and it will take a few years to sort out.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Whaaaaaaaat?!? A few years to sort out? This homework was assigned in 2014, you failed the mid-term last year with a historically low grade, and now you want a few more years to sort things out?

You've got 30 days, so I suggest you get busy ...

21st Century Pele repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are four different questions.
    Who starts and makes the roster for -

1. The next two games.
    2, The fall qualifiers.
    3. The 2018 World Cup (if The US makes it there)
    4. After the WC

These could have very different players in each even though there's not that much time difference.

Bajoro, Zinkoff and TimB4Last repped this.
  25. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Williams needs to be called up. In good form, played well this season.