2018 World Cup - Omnibus

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Jun 2, 2018.

1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Remember, the quality of Concacaf has really improved.

Just how bad was the US to not qualify? Worst team and coaching since 1990

juveeer repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually they stopped literally collapsing once they let in that first goal.

chad repped this.
  3. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it then and I'll say it again several unlikely things needed to happen for us to not make the Cup. 3 upsets, a 30 yrd out fluke goal and a horrible coaching decision to start Old Man Howard on little rest with Guzan rested on the bench. 9 times out of 10 we beat T&T, shit happens.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm calling it. Iceland vs. Nigeria is the turning point of not just this world cup but of world soccer.

Iceland win and things will never be the same again.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All these WC stadiums in Russia look impressive as hell. Theyve done really well. Hopefully it helps with their domestic teams/clubs too.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Only in Japan: for the analyst on the world cup highlights they have the equivalent of the Japanese Mr.Rogers. he has a long standing childrens show, has a nose stud and the air of a man intimately familiar with the business end of a bottle of sake.

VBCity72 repped this.
  7. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, they look amazing. Unlike the Olympics, the World Cup can at least be a positive long term if the club teams can make use of the Stadiums.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CL should be a higher caliber than WC. CL teams can get any player they want and they get to play together for most of the year.

jnielsen, Car123 and Hexa repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceland needed to finish a couple of those :( theyve been dominant over Nigeria

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and paid the price for their misses

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    RM, Barçam, Liverpool, Man City or Bayer M would easily win this WC. CL is the best quality Cup hands down. They cherry pick the best players in the globo and train year long the same tactics... But WC is to determine which nation has the best soccer program. Beat team is CL

It is really hard to beat a 5 defense line with a defense committed team. Every one is having a hard time (Spain, Germany, Portugal). The key is the first goal. CR was going for the draw and created very little (one clear chance?). To me Brazil looks solid enough (balanced team) to go all the way. We shall see.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this might be a PK......

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was, but he missed it..........crap

14. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Watched the replay of Croatia-Argentina. It's amazing how much space Argentina allowed in midfield. Their midfielders had basically vacated that third. Croatia' s high press left Argentina's backfield isolated and scrambling - one of the factors that led to the first goal. What were they thinking?

They left so much space in midfield, they looked like the USMNT out there.

ttrevett repped this.
  15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right after the Neymar dive, the Ticos had a golden opportunity to become the crowd favorite. They then ruined all those good vibes immediately with their cynical time wasting antics. That is the worst trait in soccer, and refs should be allowed to have the game go on if they believe that a player is faking to delay the game. I know they have the rule that allows play to go on if a man is down and not a head injury, but once the ball goes out of play they always stop play to tend to the injured player. I would suggest that if the ref is sure that guy is faking, he should be allowed to force the game to continue. You'll see that guy get up real quick if the other team is about to score.

chad repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coutinho scoring 5 hole on Navas was the last thing Navas deserved. He's the only CONCACAF player outside of the US for whom I root. Maybe Chicharito when he's not playing for El Tri.

Nigeria were deserved winner against Iceland. I can't believe Jon Obi is still playing this well since his transfer to China. They are going to be a tough opponent for the Argies who will have everything on the line. Good tourney so far.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia looks class though, a team that no one wants to face in the second round.

juveeer repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The UEFA Champions has lost its luster with fans of the traditional game, it's all about Sheiks' money and Russian & American money laundering now.

I think traditional teams look weaker since the FIFA Ranking is used to determine the pots. Before that, the pots were made so the "traditional teams" had things as easy as possible.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Masche is like 100 and he wasn't fast even young, Sampaoli pairs him up with the aging, slow Enzo Perez, and in a final act of madness takes Perez out and brings Dybala instead of a midfielder, so in the end it was a 3-1-6 with the 1 being Mascherano. Look ma, no midfield!

20. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I was thinking that Nigeria-Argentina in the World Cup sounded familiar. Apparently, they've been drawn in the same group in three consecutive World Cups, and four times in the last five.

Nigeria's lost each time, but still.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Helps that a lot of the second-tier teams categorized as dark horses are actually living up to their potential this time. The previous World Cup, those teams disappointed.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. They fought hard, Navas made great saves, and then they acted shamefully. Glad they ended up losing -- and I can't stand Neymar.

ttrevett repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at Serbia v Switzerland. Serbia seem to have the better crowd support. However, Switzerland's flag seems to be a big plus. 20180622_202914.jpeg

24. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yup.

CONCACRAP got 3.5 spots.

the .5 lost the playoff - OUT

Now 2 of the 3 are OUT even before the 3rd group game is played.

Mexico is our regions only hope.

And we weren't good enough to make it, LOL.

But the powers that be are content!

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOOO! BOO THIS MAN!