2018 Winter transfer thread: Winter is here

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Sep 2, 2017.

1. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently we have an agreement to sign Kasper Dolberg in winter.

2. bumbleBeeVB

bumbleBeeVB Member+

Aug 6, 2014
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolberg would be phenomenal and he's familiar with Bosz. I would love that move, he could settle in for the second half then if auba wants to go to Milan in the summer so be it

3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Am I the only one who is reticent about Milan? Their financial makeup looks extremely questionable. House of cards.

4. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Johannes Geis joins Sevilla. He may be bad at transfers but getting Julian Weigl was one of TTs best moves.

5. adriandragonus

Aug 5, 2015
    indonesia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    i would love to see schurrle or yarmo are molded into striker if auba left. we have overabundance of midfielders anyway.

6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Schürrle has proven himself to be a capable striker when he had to cover for Auba as well as with the NT.

7. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Both could be useful as back up strikers, however neither has the potential to be elite in that position. If BVB wants to challenge for the BL and CL then neither are adequate as first choice. Dolberg is younger, already better then both and has a very high ceiling, would be a very good signing and potential Auba replacement.

8. BVB1989

BVB1989 Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Bled, Slovenia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I think Auba won't go anywhere soon.

9. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I always said it, but Werner was the man to replace Auba. As things stand I think there is a only a small chance Auba stays at the end of the year. Our biggest threats to taking him are AC Milan. We will need a very successful season to keep him and to give him a huge contract, probably longer than usual for a player of his age.

I get my information about the German media 2nd hand through English sources, but it seems to me Germany are too quick to write off young players for not reaching their potential. They did this previously for Kroos, when is the kind of player that matures late. Werner, Rudiger, Goretzka, Can and Draxler have all similar been criticsed for not being the finished article as kids. Werner is younger than the rest, but he broke out around the same time and now all of them are shining.

Brandt and Sane are the next big wide players for Germany. Dortmund MUST sign one of them. Their careers have stalled, but like the other youngsters they will explode very soon.

10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One or two clubs don't make a league. You can jump to conclusions about BVB based on what Schalke or soke other club did.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I am not sure I get your point.

I was saying in general, I get the impression that young players are viewed as not fulfilling their potential too early in Germany. I gave a few examples. I said Brandt and Sane will probably fall into this category by the end of the season, but Dortmund should not fall for this. Brandt and Sane will be absolute superstars and if possible need to try and sign one.

The Bundesliga is arguably the best league in the world for giving youngsters a chance and it is why it was so strong for so long. I do think this is a weak season though.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My spell checker is annoying af. What I meant was that you cannot jump to conclusions about the league based on a few players or clubs. Sane left for more money. Brandt's future has yet to be decided although he's supposedly in for Bayern.

If the BL is having a weak season, who is having a strong one?

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    When it comes to the quality of the league I am not judging it on a few players. Too much quality has left the league and I don't think the youngsters are ready yet to take the slack. Dembele, Geis, Calhangolu, Hernandez, Howedes to name a few.

I think Serie A is on the rise and is stronger than it has been for years. The Premier League lacks an elite club, but the standard of the top clubs has risen once more. Ligue 1 has not changed in quality, but PSG have got much stronger.

By the way I am not criticising the board for not signing Sane or Brandt. Sane needs to be given the confidence and freedom from the manager, whilst Brandt needs to be pushed to get fit. I am just saying these two are the real deal and are can take Dortmund to an elite level.

14. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is too early to judge the overall strength of the league this season, compared to others. But I think that there is the potential for some good results in both European competitions, and feel that Bayern, Dortmund and Leipzig in the CL and Hoffenheim and Hertha in the EL have the potential to make it reasonably far. The EL in particular looks a lot weaker then last season, which gives all 3 German clubs a chance to progress.

I would also say that unlike previous years there is the genuine chance for it to be more competitive at the top, with 3 teams all having the potential to remain in the fight for the BL title far deeper into the season. Financially speaking, both Dortmund and Leipzig are far stronger and therefore capable of mounting a consistent challenge in the years to come then any potential challengers to Bayern have been in the past. That is a good thing for the league imo, although I am not a big fan of Red Bull.

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    The league will be more competitive, but only because all the teams are weaker I feel.

Just look at the list of names that have left the Bundesliga this summer: Kolasanic, Choupo Moting, Geis, Dembele, Howedes, Calhanogolu, Douglas Costa, Renato Sanchez, Benatia, Modeste, Hernandez, Ricardo Rodriguez. Then Lahm and Alonso have retired.

Meanwhile the only quality players to come into the league are Tolisso, James Rodriguez and Yarmolenko.

As for the CL Bayern are not favourites to win their group and if they don't win their group then it will come down to luck of the draw. I don't see Dortmund getting out of the group stages and there's only 3 German teams in the CL. Leipzig might do surprisingly well though, but eve they are losing one of their two stars in Naby Keita, next summer.

Like in the period after the Bundesliga's decline from 2005-210, it will take excellent youngsters coming through to raise the quality of the league.