2018 WCQ: Mexico vs El Salvador 2 September 2018

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Narc83, Aug 26, 2016.

1. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I remember thinking Alas was gonna be the next big thing back when he was a River Plate junior. I've never been more wrong :(

Didn't the whole match-fixing scandal prevent him from going any further in Russia? Memory's a bit hazy now.

@Grimmjow316

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  2. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    El Salvador should've made the 2010 World Cup, their team was good enough to do so, they just choked in that installment of the Hexagonal.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I do feel like we could've qualified for 2010 if we didn't decide to throw it all away. I get pissed off if I think too long about it.

4. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They had a great team with Osael, the Alas brothers, Zelaya, Alvarez, and several more all under Carlos de Los Cobos

5. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    No they weren't. They got the position they deserved (5th out of 6th).

6. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Costa Rica of 2009 was not better than them in my mind, they didn't even make the World Cup courtesy of Uruguay in the WC playoff. El Salvador could've put up a better fight, but that's just my opinion.

7. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No not really

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Osael and Zelaya were great. Jaime wasn't a part of DLC's squad, and I never cared for Dennis.

Alvarez wasn't involved in the match-fixing so he still plays with La Selecta. He's currently one of our better players, which isn't saying much since he more than often fails to score.

9. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    WTF did El Salvador do? They faced Costa Rica 4 times in those WC qualifiers and lost 3 of them and you're going to say they were better than them? And Costa Rica almost eliminated that Uruguay team that ended 4th and beating us in the world cup, so I don't know how you use that as a negative against them.

10. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    El Salvador lost three games that they shouldn't have in that Hexagonal:
    1. Against Honduras at home (they blatantly choked).
    2. Against T&T as visitors (another choke, as T&T sucked in that Hexagonal, nobody should've lost against them).
    3. Against Costa Rica as visitors (they could've at least tied with them).

If they would've won the first 2 above mentioned games and tied the third, El Salvador would've finished with 15 points, Costa Rica with 14, and Honduras with 13. El Salvador would've made it to the World Cup as 3rd.

11. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    @thedragonrick58
    That team from 09 had a long shot to qualify dropping points at home was the decider. The TnT game was quite something since the ref (Chiquidracula) let some obvious PK calls go we were lucky to tie it. The game against the US was the other big one since the gave up the lead time wasting and the keeper was subbed out due to injury during that game and the backup was terrible. So realistically we were at most spoilers going in.

The issue the team had was same as always fitness they just couldn't keep up with better condition teams.

@La Trucha as for Fito it was because he was a lazy sum bitch and didn't follow his rehab and training regimen. The club said he returned overweight and not close to 100%, something that has always been his downfall. For example Turcios also suffered a rough knee injury and he took everything seriously which is why he quickly returned to the starting XI after making a full recovery RoPs would go on to win the Finnish cup that season and he was a major cog in helping accomplish that

12. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    IIRC that 2-2 draw against USMNT in 2009 was one of the games that was definitely fixed.

Turcios should've stayed at RoPs :(

13. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    LOL at you acting as if choking isn't on THAT team.

14. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My point is that they had a good enough team to make the World Cup 2010, choking is X factor.

15. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    While I think cheering against Mexico is a stupid thing that Salvadoran-Americans tend to do (whether they support ES and/or the nads), to be fair, don't you guys cheer against the nads at all costs?

El_Huero repped this.
  16. El_Huero

El_Huero Member+

Dec 21, 2009
    EduarDitto "The Pelé of Anal"
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    well yeah cuz of centries and douche xenophobic bros aka white dudes

17. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not necessarily

Just enjoy laughing at their misfortune and their delusional idiotic fans

SGuerrilla repped this.
  18. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    See I still don't understand it at all. Y'all are Americans, so it'd make sense that you support the nads as well, right? The arguments I always hear against supporting the nads are because of the fans; whether they are xenophobic or just idiotic.

Let's start with the xenophobia: how does one be xenophobic but support a team that has Hispanics, Asians, Africans and foreign-born players?

Moving onto idiotic fans: it's not like Mexican and Salvie fans are any better tbh. I mean, look at last year's Gold Cup and see how many Mexican and Salvie fans were throwing food at the opposition players. That was absolutely disgusting and I think y'all can agree with me on that. Look at what Mexican fans do to Salvi players at the Azteca, and look at what Salvi fans do to Mexican players at the Cuscatlan.

I support ES because of the team, not the fans. I'm not going to stop supporting ES because some of my fellow Salvies are morons.

Eh just a cultural thing I guess, I've never met an Aussie who didn't like the Socceroos. You Americans are just weird like that :p

ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  19. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    For me, I couldn't care less if the US win or lose. Mostly indifferent with them tbh.

My team is Mexico from the very start.

When growing up, watching the Mexican NT was A LOT MORE ACCESSIBLE to watch than USMNT. Back in the day, MXNT occupied the prime time slots in almost every major Spanish language channels (and they still are) compared to the nads games which were on tape-delay and/or on some obscure channels that were harder to have.

I grew to love the style of play of Mexico over the US style of play.

Neymadres, La Trucha and SGuerrilla repped this.
  20. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No.

Neymadres and Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  21. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I cheered for the US against Panama.

arjon repped this.
  22. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just don't care for them. Been a Mexico fan since I was 8 years old and that will never change

As for the me being American so I should support the Nads argument, that means jack shit. It's like saying I should support the Yankees because I live in New York when all my life I've been a Red Sox fan

AMLO2018, DankYummy and SGuerrilla repped this.
  23. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The arrogance of the fans and some of the players of the 2000's and 2010's is what makes me strongly dislike the USMNT personally. That being said, I am not blind to their improvement over the last 2 decades, but it is definitely not to the point where they are the giants of CONCACAF and we are not, they're just in the same league as Mexico while the rest are all 3 levels behind.

24. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wouldn't say "at all cost", I will admit, it does bring a smile to my face when they lose. Mostly because of some their obnoxious fans, even their non fans who are like "we don't care and we still beat you." That's usually during the world cup when they get jealous due to the reminder that futbol is more popular than their favorite american sport.

SGuerrilla, DankYummy and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  25. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Dude don't buy into it. They root against the US all the time. The only reason they are mad at ES for doing so it's because it's Mexico. It's cool when one does it but not cool when it's done to us. ES can root against Mexico all the want as long as they don't do shit physical shit to fans or the team.

And don't equate ES to Azteca. People in Mexico don't care about ES at all outside the 90 minutes of the game. ES fans give shit to Mexico and theirs fans from the time they arrive in San Salvador.