2018 WCQ: Colombia vs. Chile (Barranquilla, Colombia)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Furnaccio, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    #126 Azucarero, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Without a doubt
    He is our best LB, and even at his best he gives the team hardly any offensive punch at all. Zuniga is really the only other option, but I understand why Pekerman is resisting bringing him back. He's still not a starter and he's not getting any younger.

Mac was terrible against Uruguay and Cardona was our savior in the past couple matches. I would have made the change, too. The thing is, you've got to play him where he can make a difference. Stop putting him on the wing. With Farid's inability to effectively join in on the attack, Cardona's lack of speed is exposed. And out wide, Cardona's shooting from distance become a non factor.

If we play James and Cardona together (which I think we should) there's two ways to do it: in a 4222 like we used to do with Mac and James (which we've never seen with Cardona and James yet) or in the center of the 4231 we're playing now. James has the ability to play out wide.

When? Maybe our definitions are different. Perhaps it would be unfair to dismiss him after so few opportunities. However, he's done nothing for Colombia so far to show he deserves to be on the team.

This.

2. GavoCol

GavoCol Member

May 12, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Tambien hay que ver que son rivales faciles y muy ganables, por ahi el mas complicado es ecuador que venia a la baja..pero a los equipos que realmente teniamos que ganarles o sacar un buen resultado por ser rivales directos, sea uruguay, chile, argentina, brasil, no se pudo, y ademas jugamos mal.

La gran culpa es de Pekerman, aun no sabe como solucionar y hechar a andar el equipo

Azucarero repped this.
  3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Did Falcao have any clear chances? Borja didn't really even work to get into position for that chance; the ball awkwardly bounced to him.

Falcao brought some life and dynamism to the attack that simply weren't there before. He held on to the ball, spun a couple defenders. He played MUCH better. Scoring is not the only thing you want from your striker.

But, yeah. Two strikers. Stop putting Muriel on the wing and pair him up with anybody else.

pepinointer and Doogs repped this.
  4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Me quedo con el juego colectivo del equipo .....hay mucha diferencia respecto al Paraguay que se le gano al último minuto en Asunción

Era un equipo que supo crear muchas ocasiones de gol

Después ni pudimos ganarle al ganable Perú

El equipo esta mal ...

kromekote repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Too many experiments in a lineup and not enough chemistry and cohesion.
    The only positives I can say is that we were dangerous on set pieces and could have scored if not for Bravo being an elite keeper.
    And I am glad we did not lose.

Chile though had a good game plan and was organized. They played us in similar ways as they have Argentina in the Copa Americas.
    They also had a lot of gamesmanship out there staying on the floor. And the Brazilian Ref let them dictate the pace of the game with their rolling around and dying on the grass.

dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    this.

Our team had no cohesion, no link in te middle. In fact, had Chile had been a bit more cunning, they would have taken advantage of Mina pushing up so much.

Also, it was clear that Pekerman's strategy was not to press. Folks can't say Borja was lazy. The guy was given a role and he probably followed it. But let's be honest with each other, there is NO transition game at the moment. You can have two 2011 Falcao's upfront but if no one can even get the ball in the box what does it matter?

There were so many plays where NO ONE was running into space to receive a pass. Awful match to watch.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ya mataron en copa América 2015 a falcao , depsues mataron a bacca , ahora a Borja ...

Si es culpa de los delanteros ???

dapip, pibe10, Doogs and 1 other person repped this.
  8. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't understand Pekerman. James, Cardona and Cuadrado also subs in their teams yet still get called, but while we do have replacements in these positions, we do not have ANYONE as a decent LB. I would give Zuñiga a shot and you know what? I wouldn't even cancel Armero. But we must run up players for the future in this position.

All the players were sucked vs. Uruguay and the weather didn't help. It's not the game to judge him. I'm not saying that with Mac we would have won for sure but let's stick to the facts: He is in a better shape then both James and Cardona; Usually when he plays in Barranquilla he produce good games; There's no one better then Mac to start in the midfield when Pekerman decided to go also with Berrio and Borja, basically the winning triple which gave us the Libertadores 4 months ago; Cardona was our savior when he was sub and play 20 minutes but yesterday you saw that he clearly lack of match fitness. And since no one here will left James out of the lineup, Mac should've been the answer, at least yesterday.

When I say Berrio proved that he belong to the NT, I didn't necessary ment the starting lineup. But no one can argue that he deserves a call. I don't know how much you watched Nacional in the Libertadores but Berrio had a MAJOR part in our tournament. At the same time, Cuadrado was without a club, Pabon won't get called ever again by Pekerman and beside Muriel who is on the team, I can only think of Yimmy Chara as a decent call for the right attacking winger position. So why is it so strange when Pekerman decides to call the RAW of the Libertadores champion? Don't forget that in the first call he got injured and now he got his first shot. And just like Borja, it was his debut in front of the home fans. Don't crucify him because of one match. We both agree that he was terrible yesterday but I do understand Pekerman for letting him play.

9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    senores, si el EQUIPO no sabe como jugar en conjunto como EQUIPO de nada vale llamar a persona 'X'. Eso de llamar uno por el otro se da mas cuando hay bajon en una posición que disrumpe el equipo.

Aquí el bajon es de funcion! Hasta Abel pedia que alguien se mostrara. Se sabia que Chile se iba a estacionar en el ando campo pero nadie trato de desequilibrar...cualquier movimiento que se veía era muy anunciado. Diaz se quedaba mirando a James, y James no mas daba rabia...nadie organiza en este equipo. Un equipo muy estático que se veía mamado también. Esto de que la temperatura ayuda? por favor.... parecía que nunca hubieran jugado en Barranquilla. Y con todo eso, son muchos los que piden que Borja corra como carro loco sin otro companero que ponga presión al segundo pase. Desde el inicio del partido ya jugábamos a lo que proponia Chile. Punto.

crzdcolombian and GavoCol repped this.
  10. JudeCaso10

JudeCaso10 Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The good-
    - We didn't lose
    - We could have scored 3
    - Falcao is getting fit

The bad-
    - We didn't have any killer instinct
    - Borja pretty bad. no movement, it's your first cap, act like you've been waiting your entire life for this moment.
    - Pekerman once again with the iffy lineup

and The Ugly-
    - Berrio was complete trash
    - Sh!Ts getting real. We literally need to win against Argentina

I want to have faith I really do, but it's starting to look bad.
    We need to come out full blazing, just like Brazil did, if we slow up the play it will only benefit Argentina.

Muriel Bacca(Falcao)
    James Cuadrado
    Torres Aguilar
    Balanta Mina Murillo Arias
    Ospina

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok so the whole Bravo being WOrld class. Under Bolillo/Lara/Pinto we made everyone look world class too. Unlucky the Mina header

For the people saying we play like a Sunday league or with no chemistry..... that's the coaches fault!!!!! Wrong formations. Bad starting line ups.... again Coaches fault!!!

1st Copa America fine its a pass! We really really wanted Falcao, Zuniga and Armero back. But 2.5 years of sucking is a long time. If James or Cardona don't just pull something out of their ass we lose. Or a lucky lucky ass goal like Murillos at the Copa America. Mina's last game against Uruguay.

Also makes me sad to read we didn't lose..., we got robbed in Chile and should have handed them their ass in barranquilla. Lack of ambition and hunger is why we didn't win. They didn't have Sanchez or Medel. They then lost their 2 best players to injury!!! How is no one else pissed at this result.

1 point away from Chile and their next game is at home ours is away!!! FIFA will not allow Argentina to not qualify!!

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    On the bright side, the other results favored us and we are third. Also, Argentina looks like crap and has a ton of pressure on them. A draw can push them into total chaos, so I do think we have a chance to prey on their despair.

I did not like the first 30 minutes, I think that Pekerman made too many changes and it showed in the lack of cohesion. The rest of the game was OK but Chile defended very well and did not make things easy for us. Yeah, we needed 3 points but I'm not too upset about the draw.

J-Mezzy repped this.