2018 WCQ: Colombia vs. Chile (Barranquilla, Colombia)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Furnaccio, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    agreed. this was a game where we should have got 3 points. normally, after a game, there is a lesson learned or takeway. but this game we could not make things happen against a defense where the bus was parked.

20 shots (9 inside box / 11 outside)
    3 shots on goal
    63% possession

Abel was the highest rated player according to FotMob app with an 8.0 - what does that tell you when the highest rated player is a box-box midfielder.

Borja and Berrio did nothing to shine today.

2. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Este partido Pekerman se lo dejo enredar la verdad. Lo de Berrio absurdo, lo de Borja un poco más comprensible pero no le salió nada. Este era el partido para intentar explotar a los centrales chilenos y jugamos con 1 sólo delantero. La verdad no entiendo muy bien a nuestro DT. Ya lo hizo en Santiago y le funcionó (2 delanteros), acá debió intentar lo mismo.

Azucarero and GavoCol repped this.
  3. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Se ve dificil el calendario de Colombia. Que piensan alla?

4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Berrio was terrible. Borja wasn't bad.

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I can agree with that.

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekerman being a scared little bitch last 3 games... cost us

Lets see if he lets us attack probably the worst Argentina ever.

After that

Bolivia home - We lose then shouldn't qualify
    Ecuador away - Need to win and winable at least a tie
    Venezuela Away - again winnable against the Worst team in Qualifiers
    Brazil home - Again Pekerman show some balls attack
    Paraguay home - should win if we beat them away
    Peru away - again should win

Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay should all be wins. The Bolivia bullshit and the tie with Chile does hurt our chances a bit.

18+9 = 26 + Venezuela 3 Points = 29 and Russia

Ezto repped this.
  7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Dude Pekerman picked the right strategies the 2 previous games with a weakened offensive team. Today he got it wrong with Berrio mainly, but we couldn't put any passes today and we coulnd't mount an attack. If we go to Argentina looking to attack we will get eaten alive. That Argentina side is not great at the moment but they still have a ton of attacking talent, I think we should play a 4-2-3-1 with Cuadrado and Muriel wide with Falcao or Bacca up top and play a counter attacking style. Torres and Sanchez as double pivots.

8. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    a lack of mobility cost us, few associations and imprecisions.

villus repped this.
  9. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Murillo no jugara por tener amarilla, el unico cambiio atras, de resto yo digo que se debe salir en el mediocampo con Muriel James Cuadrado, y Borja en punta. El debutante no desentono, trato lo que pudo y Bravo le tapo una que hiba para adentro. Barrios si fue invisible, yo hubiera cambiado a el por Muriel para el segundo tiempo.

10. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios played?

11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I disagree with this. I thought he had one of the laziest, most spineless performances I've ever seen from a striker. The first 30 minutes of the match we played on our heels. The kid just walked around the pitch waiting for the ball to come to him. Didn't press a single defender while they were on the ball. Didn't even pump his arms to look like he was jogging.

We looked loads better with Falcao on the pitch because he made the defenders work. The veteran ran his a$$ off while the kid strolled the pitch for 45 minutes. I don't want to see Borja back for a looong time.

Berrio...the guy just isn't up for this level of futbol.

Honestly, this kind of stuff could and should be sorted out in friendlies...

Cruzifero, J-Mezzy, villus and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He means Berrio

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ok.. so his work rate is poor. He still looked aggressive when going for the ball and looked dangerous in the opportunities he had. I wouldn't mind him starting again honestly.

14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Poor is an understatement. That was downright abysmal. Not Falcao, Jackson, Teo, Dayro, Muriel, Ramos, or Bacca have ever put in such a passive performance.

Perhaps it wasn't as noticeable because he doesn't play in the midfield. The commentators didn't catch on to it. Rewatch any 5 minute stretch of that match if you get the chance.

I think it's very telling that Pekerman subbed him at the half. That's not a very Pekerman-like move.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    So no Murillo and possibly no Mina because of injury? Not good.

16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't consider it a huge deal personally, especially to go as far as saying he was abysmal. Too overdramatic imo.

Azucarero repped this.
  17. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He didn't play abysmally. He had decent touches. His work rate and effort were abysmal.

That work rate is even more glaring considering a few factors:
    1) Colombia was getting demolished for a solid 20 minutes. The Chileans were dictating the match with only slight disruptions in possession. In that situation, a striker becomes the first defender. It's his job to try to harass the opponent's back 5 to disrupt the monotony. Borja allowed the Chileans to reset time and time again. Falcao did not let that happen.
    2) It was his debut! The kid got the nod to start as the lone striker over our top scorer in the qualifiers, our top scorer ever, and our spark plug (Muriel). If there's only one game you play your a$$ off, it's this one. When you're the new kid on the block most expectations get lowered--all but effort. Tht expectation gets raised

Pekerman clearly thought it was a huge enough deal to sub him so soon. Remember that Dorlan got kicked out of the team for being selfish, and Perez never started again after a similar performance against Costa Rica. This fastidiousness is something I'll always like about the old man

18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Falcao would have been subbed on regardless personally. Does Borja really do that kind of defending at all though? I know Falcao does it because he's always been like that but Borja played today the way i'm used to seeing him play with Nacional. Dorlan was selfish with the ball, this is different.

oh and did anyone else think Farid Diaz was crap?

19. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would've subbed Berrio and taken out Borja. All Borja needs is a decent pass to get a good shot off. He just needs to learn from Falcao and not dive.

Those who are criticizing Borja's lack for defensive work rate, he's not Cavani sorry.

We are third on the table, time to steal three points in Argentina.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Borja's dives were embarrassing, not even slightly believable and is always going to lead to the ref not giving you the call when its a legit foul ie. Cuadrado. defensive work rate may not be what he's used to, but most likely his job was to put in 45-60 minutes tops and get the defense tired for Falcao to come on and punish him, and it was his debut as a young guy playing at home. I doubt Pekerman wasn't in his ear about what he needed to do, just no reason to start him for that type of performance, maybe at Nacional he's a superstar who needs to conserve his energy for attacking, but at international level its a whole other standard.

Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No Borja or Berrio in Argentina please

22. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow, one of the most boring and disgusting games I've ever saw...Too bad when it comes from my team.

I've herd so many excuses in the social nets about this draw but the truth is that we simply weren't good. It's not the pitch's fault, nor the weather or the Chilean bunker, who, by the way, wasn't bunker in the first half. In the second half they got tired, that was the reason why we controlled the match, because in the first 30 minutes they had couple of good chances also. I'm not cleaning the players from guilt but for me the main person to blame is Pekerman, mostly of course because of the lineup and instructions. Several points:

1. Farid Diaz - Maybe the worst player on the pitch. I never saw him plays that bad. The guy cannot cross balls? fine, but at least don't lose them either when you support the attack and worse, go back faster because the Chilean opportunities always came from his side (Also in the Copa Centenario). Problem? He still our best LB, much better then Fabra, but maybe it's time to look for other options (Like Zuñiga, or to put Arias on left and Zuñiga as RB).

2. Our midfield - Sanchez was OK, although also lost too many balls and wasn't concentrate with his passes, Abel was the best between the four but the most disappoint was from James and Cardona. This was Pekerman's fault, who had to put Mac instead Cardona if we take in consider that none of us would take out James from the starting lineup even though he doesn't play regularly. Their lack of minutes was perfectly shown and Mac, on the other hand, is in good form and should've start, especially when his two teammates like Berrio & Borja started also.

3. Berrio - Unlike everyone here, I don't have a problem with him. He justify his place in the NT and when Cuadrado is suspended, I understood why Pekerman put him. But after 30 horrible minutes, Pekerman needed to recognize his mistake and put Muriel in or at least right after the break. He didn't.

4. Borja x Falcao - WTF?! I love Borja, I really do. In any other circumstances I can even understand, but instead of Falcao?! No way sir! Huge NO NO for Pekerman and we saw that Falcao was much more involved then Borja. With all the hype, Falcao had to start.

The good thing? Our defense. Once again Murillo and Mina showed that we can trust them and the can and should be our starters from now. Arias also played well, but for March I hope that Pekerman will give another chance to Zuñiga. I think that our main difference from this team to the 2014 team is our full backs. Arias and Diaz at their best aren't close to Zuñiga and Armero who participated in so many of our goals and chances. The lack of goals doesn't bother me because our strikers will do the job. It's the midfield and full backs who worry me the most for not creating many chances during 90 minutes and at home. Yesterday all our good chances came from set pieces plays while our game was so slow, the players practically stood in the place like the play away and looking for a draw. It upset me a lot and was annoying to watch.

To be honest, I'm not optimistic for Tuesday. A draw will be great due to Argentina's situation, but I have a feeling that they will explode on us. Our luck so far is that most of the results are good for us and we should hope that both Brazil and Uruguay will continue to win until the end, because both of them already qualified. Our main war will start on March. May god be with us.

Sorry for the long post...

Azucarero repped this.
  23. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Como dije antes berrio es un jugador del montón. No voy a matar a Borja porque todavía está joven, pero en su debut tenía que dejar la piel y pareció cansado al los cinco minutos, que decepción. Hasta el veterano de Falcao corrió más que el, muy pasivo. Lo peor es que si hubiera metido ese gol ya todo mundo estaba listo para justificar su titularidad.

También siento que pekerman se está dejando presionar por la prensa recientemente. Hacer debutar un muchacho en su primer convocatoria, en plena eliminatoria, en un partido tan importante,no es muy pekerlike. Es más el ni hace esas decisiones en amistosos. Toda la semana: que Borja es esto, qué hay que aprovechar su momento, que Borja es el cuarto goleador mundial que blah blah blah etc. se comió el cuento completico... ahora en mi opinión, ya quemó al pelado, porque los mismos que lo subieron ahora lo van a destrozar.

Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    falcao tiene 30 y es normal que un jugador de esa edad juegue asi, osea esta lejos de ser retirado........el siempre ha mostrado ganas y amor propio...igualmente falcao, no tuvo opciones.....asi como borja solo tuvo una.....entonces pienso que lejos de ahi estuvo el problema.

hoy borja, mañana duvan

Siempre he pensado que en marzo habíamos encontrado el equipo que había rendido prácticamente perfecto (bolivia, ecuador, usa y paraguy). que gano 4 partidos seguidos metiendo muchos goles, que fue el mismo que jugo los primeros dos partidos de la copa america.....despues para meter a jugadores “inamovibles“ el equipo practicamente dejo de ser competitivo......despues de eso, ha ganado 3 partidos de 9........

tambien todo coincidio con criticas airadas de la prensa...

Doogs repped this.
  25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did Falcao almost score because Borja had a great chance that Bravo stopped just like Mina. Only 2 real chances we had

Pekerman formation killed the game. Feel he thinks we need that formation to start Sanchez who can't pass for shit and shouldn't start. Berrio maybe a final 20 minute player because of speed. Cardona in awful form again a super sub till he gets more club minutes. People are unfairly shitting on Borja because Falcao didn't start or played any better.

Pekerman please use two strikers. None of our strikers have scored in 5 games. Last one was Bacca against USA. Again if this was a Colombia coach you'd all be panicking and calling for his head. We are back to playing like we have Bolillo.