2018 US Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by msilverstein47, May 24, 2018.

1. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, am super excited about the "Its so important I can't even find it on TV" Cup.

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but remember, it's a major trophy.

3. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    I am always conflicted on this trophy. It's cool to win. Last year when we won at CMP was great. I was able to take my older boys and they saw their team with a trophy at home. But...I really don't care if we lose. Once we are out of the Open Cup it's like it never really mattered and is just so easy to get back into focus on MLS Cup readiness.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to win this year because we can become the first modern team to win 5 USOCs.

5. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    And now I care again. Thanks (I think).

6. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I am concerned, Evans being in KC is nothing more than soccer welfare. The guy never wanted to be here but needed a paycheck that other teams weren’t will to pay. I still don’t think he has played a single minute of MLS soccer this season and I’d be surprised if he takes the field before he leaves at the end of the season.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are only four pieces of silverware possible. It is one of them. I would rather win any of the other three, but I like winning this one.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i didn't say i didn't want to win it. i'm just mocking the marketing department again.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime thoughts:

- In theory, I like the 4-2-3-1. I like getting an extra attacker on the field (not Croizet) and I think Roger and Ilie are doing very well next to each other deep. However, Salloi has been on an island for much of the game and doesn’t get enough touches on the ball this way.

- Rubio is doing very well as an attacking midfielder.

- Either Sinovic is finished, or Elis is just that good. Seth is getting torn to pieces on that flank. I definitely think Lindsey is going to need to sub in to try and match Elis’s speed.

- I still like Amor and Smith. Hope they continue to develop and we can keep them around. They are both dealing with the fires well.

- Not sure why we can’t keep much possession. Combo of heat and fatigue?

- Finally, Houston’s attendance and broadcast quality are just dire. Horrible. Worse than amateur hour.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that Lindsey had a bunch of issues with the Houston attack at CMP in our win back in June.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our defense has some serious, serious issues. We have now allowed at least 2 goals in 7 straight games.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi gets burned by Quioto on the 2nd, then keeps Manotas onside on the 3rd. Then no one covered the goalline for Melia, makes another great 1v1 save but hung out to dry by his defense.

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like our defense?

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the result holds, we have four losses and one draw in the last 5 games.

I know he can’t do anything about all the injuries, but PV better come up with some answers quick.

15. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salloi left his killer instinct in Kansas City, probably should have had at least 1 or 2 so far tonight.

16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amor and Smith are not making the case for continued minutes for themselves once Besler and Ike are healthy again.

17. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Getting embarrassed now.

18. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing more needs to be said except rest and recover.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to forgive it, cause we haven't looked good either, but the 4 losses were all on the road.

I'm really trying to cut Croizet some slack, but that 2nd chance where Croizet squared it was incredibly weak. Stronger pass and Salloi puts it away (which I assume is what he was complaining about).

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also...

mschofield repped this.
  21. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to offer any speculation regarding whom Vermes had in mind?

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My initial thought was Amor and Smith. Based off the full quotes in Sam's article I don't think it's a regular starter though our midfield completely disappeared. But Zusi had a really bad game and if we had a game this weekend I would sit him. Rubio started well but faded really badly, especially in the second half when I forgot he was even on the field. Gerso also didn't seem that involved.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As had been mentioned many times before, we already has the CCL spot in hand, so no disaster here. Upside, saves our faltering legs another match, or two, so that's nice.
    There are no Audi numbers on USOC games, but just one comment on the stats. We had 14 shots, seven on target. That's a very solid outing for the attack. OTOH, they had 24 shots, 12 on target! Jeebus. I used to tell my kids that real football was different than xbox FIFA because there's far more importance in midfield battles in real football, it isn't all back and forth shot, shot, shot. My oldest mocks me for that lesson after this sort of game.
    Also, how is it possible that Melia makes the save, scrambles around after manatos for like, what, half an hour, before Manatos turns to shoots a second time and Zusi is still the only other SKC defender who has sensed this might be a dangerous situation?
    OTOH, Houston in mid July, I wouldn't have been psyched to run around for more than about, well, for me, 10, 15 seconds.

24. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #98 kcfooty, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  25. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    during the half time break they showed melia as having made more saves than there were shots on goal, so I wouldn't consider their stats as too accurate.

I cant remember having watched an mls houston home game on espn+, can anyone confirm/deny whether the camera crew is as terrible there as well? it seemed like they had one camera per fan that attended, which they used to nonstop make close ups of their fans, while at the same time only having one camera on the actual play. since two of their goals were over the top balls it woulda been nice to be able to check for offsides in a replay (not that it's likely that they were as no skc player complained).

in any case, we were already conceding space and defending like 15 yards deeper as we usually would, but still get beat on pace multiple times with balls over the top. can't wait for our back two to get fully healthy again (although I'm not sure whether that will ever be the case again)

26. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silver lining: this will reduce schedule congestion, allow for more rest, and maybe everyone will focus a little more on MLS Cup and not call the season a success when they crash out in the first round again just because they won the USOC.

dgb09, mschofield and kcfooty repped this.