2018 SuperDraft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reach picks seem to be becoming a theme for the Revs.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really should have been picked by Colorado.

3. Cbarbosa201

Cbarbosa201 New Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jan 19, 2018
    Could this mean Friedel is leaning toward playing a back 3 with wing backs? Somi a left back or left mid they say and now 2 projected right back projects with speed and attacking experience.. No CB signings (weakest position on the roster)

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the new caring Revs. We draft a couple of projects. That way when we bury them deep on the bench and they don't get any playing time, we aren't wasting any potential talent.

MM66 repped this.
  5. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe my expectations are too low for the draft, but I pretty much expect that just about all of the guys taken are going to be projects. In listening to the MLS coverage, someone say that he was confused why the Revs would pick 2 guys who seem to be similar, and then shortly after, someone said that Dallas picked 2 similar guys and is just hoping that one of them pans out and made it sound like a positive. So is it good or bad to pick 2 similar guys who you hope might develop to cover a position of need? (edit, as I continue to try to type while also working, a guy just expanded on his point about drafting 2 similar guys)

I think we do need cover at right back, Farrell is ok, good enough, but he’s far from a star. Plus, contrary to say the NFL, I simply don’t expect a first round pick to come in and make an impact right away in MLS. If one of these guys can eventually develop into a solid right back (if they both really are envisioned to compete for that spot), that’s a bonus for me, but I really hope their plan is not that they will be getting impact players for this season from this year’s draft.

Whatever happens, I look forward to reading about how our project type players get lots of minutes at our USL affiliate...

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. The question is how much time and effort are they willing to put into these projects?

And I'd be curious to see how other teams do in that regard.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think they are drafting these guys as right backs - I think they are drafting them for their versatility. They've both played as attacking players - Bye led his conference in scoring and was one of the national leaders; Segbers is listed as a midfielder and forward in different articles (and is really small - Kevin Alston-ish, to be a defender).

My guess is that Friedel isn't quite sure what he's going to need from his rookies (since they are still working on acquisitions), so he's going with players who are top athletes and have excelled at at least one position and shown potential at other positions. IOW, they are the pieces to fit around whatever they end up with returning players, potential trades and acquisitions. I think Friedel is building a versatile bench, not filling in the depth chart.

They both were protected as 2nd rounders, so I think the Revs will end up looking really clever or ...

8. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, who would we rather they had picked instead?

I actually think a right back who can contribute offensively has been a crying need of the Revs for some years now. If one of these guys can do that job, I'll count this as a successful draft.

9. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    At least now we know the names of the guys who'll barely, if ever, play for the team.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm, NFLPatriot and metoo repped this.
  11. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's interesting!

dncm repped this.
  12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I will too. But how often has a "Why'd they pick that guy?" draftee turned into a solid contributor for the Revs? Or even in the league generally? Look, I certainly hope that these guys work out, and will be happy if they do. But history tells us that the FOs (particularly Revs FOs) that think they've pulled a fast one by drafting the guy no one expects way early, they usually haven't done any such thing.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People knew Dempsey was going to be a baller, they just underestimated how much of one. He wasn’t a “Why’d they pick that guy?”, he was a “How’d we get that guy?” [emoji6]

NFLPatriot and firstshirt repped this.
  15. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe I had too long of a day at work.
    Maybe this smoke is a little too good.
    Could Farrell some how end up being the trade bait? Hopefully both of these new players are starting preseason and switching at half-time for most of it. maybe we could play Farrell as a DM or something.

I was super sold on him as a player in his rookie year, but I cant help but thinking I keep seeing Farrell in his rookie year every year now.

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    #66 dncm, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    New England Revolution: D+
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...-grades-rating-winners-losers-busy-day-philly

Joint lowest with Houston.

Friedel clearly putting his mark on the team.

Coming out and saying they need pressure on Farrell is BIG. Farrell was a #1 that Revs traded up for. Heaps seemed to mess up Farrell so much - not sure if Friedel can un-funk him - but this is definitely a way to say Friedel is not messing around.

We will have to wait and see if going public with this - and how the team responds. It could send the message and bring confidence to the team, the coach is a leader with a plan, etc. It could also have a negative affect and not build the trust from the locker room.

Still a wait and see, so my personal grade is incomplete, but I am intrigued.

Clearly different already in communication that Heaps ever was.

17. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem putting pressure on Farrell to perform, I just don't think that was our major problem. I do agree that Heaps screwed the pooch with several players on the team. We should have performed better than we did. If anybody follows the Bruins you would witness how much coaching matters.

As for the grading article; my take is this line:

That said, all three are likely to spend most of 2018 at ATL UTD 2, the club's new USL side.
    :(

18. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what the man said so I don't have trouble believing that He got two guys with high end athleticism, speed and flexibility/ At a time where history shows that most draftees don't catch on---taking players with raw tools that might be able to fill in holes periodically;ly or even better be coached into becoming MLS level players is a reasonable strategy.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In some ways, D+ is worse than F. It's like you failed and we all know it, but we just don't have the heart to say it out loud.

Neither of these two is a threat to Farrell. What both of them need is a USL loan for the season.

Some day in the future we'll hear whispers about how this was all Remi Roy's fault. He's so fall guy he should change his name to Lee Majors.

NFLPatriot and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  21. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #71 VTSoccerFan, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Same with Jordan McCrary (some predicted as rookie of the year), who I think is still with TFC II.

I like the thought of building depth through the draft, but without a Revs II (or full year loan with a recall clause) it is very difficult.

The public statements about putting pressure on Farrell and originally declining the team's 2018 option on him essentially amount to "Farrell is not producing enough and is not producing at the level expected of a former number one pick. He needs to be paid in line with what he delivers. He needs to step up or he will be replaced. We are ready to fish or cut bait."

The actions (the draft or trialists to be named later) essentially amount to "the position will be Farrell's in 2018 no matter what happens due to lack of options/competition."

I hope that both of these guys work out, but I would like to see some more seasoned competition brought in.

A Casual Fan and MM66 repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's
    the draft, which should be a back end roster filler anyway in 2018. RB has been a need for awhile. Now Farrell has competition at right back and Teal has competition on the wing. There's always going to be minutes available for younger guys whether it's the USOC, injuries/suspensions or even a USMNT call up for Farrell (though unlikely). Given the high likelihood of draft picks washing out, would rather the revs make these defensive picks and let them duke it out on the wing than waste time with a Neumann who has no role.

Hopefully the player that "fans and players will be really excited about" fills a hole that no one in this draft could.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a 4th round pick the Revs take a 6'2" center back. He was a u-20 player for Guatemala

A Casual Fan repped this.
  24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the Revs third pick
    HT: 6' 2" WT: 176
    Hometown: Guatemala City, Guatemala
    vital member of FGCU’s backline which allowed just six goals in ASUN action – tied for the 2nd-fewest in the league … logged the 3rd-most minutes on the team with 1,628 … played and started in all 19 regular season and ASUN Tournament games before missing the NCAA Tournament First Round contest at USF (Nov. 17) and returning for the Second Round at North Carolina (Nov. 20) and coming off the bench to play 46 minutes – the first time in 51 career matches he has not started … scored one goal and added one assist for the third-straight season … his goal came versus USF (Oct. 11) to put FGCU ahead … assist occurred at Rutgers (Sept. 27). . has dual citizenship (America and Guatemala).

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly with 3 defensive picks Brad sees a need for help on the back line. Now lets see how he grooms these kids. Does he let them waste away on the bench like past coaches or can he work an arrangement a USL or NASL team that will benefit both the player and the clubs?