2018 Absolutely NO Rapids stuff here!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I've been so out of touch with MLS since the Rapids season went so utterly in the tank last summer, I didn't think I paid any attention to the playoffs, much less the preseason.

So in addition to the games above...I notice mighty Atlanta got smoked (is the home/road thing going to be that big again this season?), LAFC won it's 1st game, the Gals beat the Timbers. I didn't realize the Gals don't have van Damme any more. Their front 6 look pretty damn good, at any rate.

Who are supposed to be the Western conf leaders this season?

2. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, it's really hard to tell which teams will be the best. I think LA Galaxy will be better this year. LAFC looked pretty decent. I think Vancouver, Portland, and Seattle are not as strong as others are thinking. I see quite a bit of parity and not one or two teams who stand out a ton.

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Anyone watch any of the US women's games in the She Believes Cup? I hadn't watched them in a while and the games were on TV vs marquee opponents so it seemed like a good time to catch up.

I guess they were dealing with some injuries. I don't believe Sauerbrun appeared in any games and Ertz started just one, in midfield. I guess Brian's been hampered with injuries, which is too bad as she's seemed pretty good. Pugh, too?

The US didn't seem to generate many great chances considering they won the tournament. They are very reliant on Rapinoe. But they must be happy they did ok with a relatively young squad out there. There was a Stanford player (Tierna Davidson) starting at centerback. Still, Rapinoe's going to turn 34 during the next World Cup so they need someone to emerge who can spark the attack.

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I recorded all three USA matches and 'flash' watched stopping for goals etc., watched the last part of the third one at regular speed as that was exciting. With 1 - 0 (lucky), 1 - 1, and 1 - 0 (lucky) results they looked more like the Rapids than the World #1. In addition to the concerns you mentioned Lloyd is going to be aging out soon as well? France with their opening beat down by England and reversal with Germany to end may be a team to watch for next cycle.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

jayd8888, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I care about the competition (its a glorified Charity Shield friendly) but I do like Boniface's tweet.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Any chance we can also 'help' them w/ their logo?

10. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We've got CCL, and even Gold Cup. Why do we need a champions game between LMX and MLS? They're even talking about a LMX vs MLS all star game. Watering down the leagues?

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money Grabbing, bet it will be a home & home series too.

12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Why is this in 2018 season NOT Rapids related? We're gonna win the cup you know.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  13. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we're talking about the 2018 season, not the 2028 season...

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY and TFC advancing in Concacaf Champions League ... Reppin' MLS. The TFC game vs. Tigres was great to watch. One of the more exciting games I've seen in a while. Even though Tigres really dominated possession and attacking, Toronto played very well and took advantage of few scoring chances. Giovinco was outstanding. His free kick was just awesome and some of his dribbling skills were top notch as well. He really looked like a top player last night. Now if Seattle can also make it through, this is a big showing for MLS.

Paranoid Coyote and jayd8888 repped this.
  16. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    How does the LMX salary cap (that I don't think they have) compare to the MLS limit and in that champions match will they (MX) have to reduce their roster to MLS's limit? Just saying ... for when/if the gloating begins.

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It should have been us beating Tigres. Oh but for a handful of goals we could have beat Toronto.

18. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Because its fun and entertaining? I have been watchin the CCL avidly and love the rivalry between MLS and LMX.

MLS All Stars vs. Liga MX All Stars would be awesome in my opinion. I don't follow much Liga MX but I know there is a lot of talent there. Unless the MLS switches to an East vs. West format, this would be my preferred format by a longshot.

I also love the idea of the league leading teams meeting in a Campeones Cup...

It's also very clear that LMX (and the world soccer community) looks down on MLS as a lesser league. I believe that perception is changing, especially after the CCL games last night.

jayd8888 and Rod1916 repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News to me if LigaMX has salary cap

MLS is only soccer league I know of in World with one.

rapidogordo repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-League has a cap too I believe.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    CONCACAF Champions League worked out well. Two MLS eastern teams in the semi-finals- Seattle out.

rapidogordo and Totoro repped this.
  22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show Spoiler

Douchebag Dempsey gets red card on VAR review for being a douchebag. Seattle has to play with 10 for the game he committed the blatant foul instead of keeping him until DisCo review.

I love VAR!

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACRAP's Losing bid for WC 2018 (FIFA will do anything to keep it out of USA) host cities announced, somehow Denver has fallen off (Neither listed as eliminated or as a final selection as a "host" city).

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...d-reduces-list-of-potential-host-cities-to-23

The field of candidate cities was reduced from a list of 32 named last October. The list of U.S. cities includes Los Angeles, New York/New Jersey, Washington, D.C., and the San Francisco Bay Area. The list of Canadian cities includes Toronto, Montreal, and Edmonton, while Mexico's candidates are comprised of Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey.

Edit: OOPs, read all the way and Denver is there.

The 2026 hosts are expected to be announced on June 13.

Canada: Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto

Mexico: Guadalajara, Mexico City, Monterrey

United States: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York/New Jersey, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Washington D.C.

24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Dempsey should get suspended extra games for clapping at the ref after he got red carded, but he might not because he is a proud national team player who was part of our team missing out on the World Cup for the first time in 30 years.

I really hope he doesn't get the chance to break Donovan's men's national team goals record. He'll be too old for the next World Cup in 4/1/2 years, he should not be played in friendly just to give him a chance at the record.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  25. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Canada suddenly can sod the fields they couldn’t for the woman’s WC...

Saw that both Vancouver and Chicago mayors withdrew from consideration due to FIFA contract language.

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.