2018 season, team and lineup thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I don't think it hurts the club to bring him on earlier in a game where we are winning 3-1. This is the type of game you want the kid to come on in because there is no pressure to score and his role isn't to bunker in defense. Let him get blooded in the easy victories (or in the horrible defeats like last year) to ease him into the lineup instead of games where there are expectations. Carleton needs to be developed and sitting on the bench isn't going to do that.

You will notice that DC brought on their own U17 star in Chris Durkin with 20 or so minutes in the game. They brought him into a game their were losing and he plays defensive mid! The only way for the kids to improve is to play them in pressure free situations where they can just play their game.

2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Exactly it’s not hurting him by bringing him along slowly. Get some minutes here and there.

It’s just a bad sign if he was about to come on, and then because DC scored a goal they decided to wait.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 win vs Vancouver Whitecaps, March 17

Goals: Martinez (PK), Maund (OG), Martinez (Almiron), Martinez (Carleton)

GK Guzan
    DF Gonzalez Pirez, Parkhurst, Escobar
    MF Nagbe, Larentowicz
    RM Gressel
    LM McCann
    FW Martinez, Villalba, Almiron

Subs: Kratz (Larentowicz), Carleton (Villalba), Romario (Martinez)

Note: Escobar left in injury time with nasty head injury suffered from Guzan.

Note: Larentowicz was on a yellow, Kratz put in a decent shift.

Note: Carleton came in at 75th minute and was raw but had flashes; including a nice assist to Martinez. Needs more PT.

Note: Almiron missed several sitters today. He was good all over the field except in front of goal, and still has no right foot.

Note: very impressed by Nagbe today.

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Escobar isn't hurt too bad.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens when Barco gets healthy, maybe by next game. The expected removal from the starting 11 would be Gressel, but he's been one of the better players on the pitch for the last two games. And the 3-5-2 has obviously done well for us, but where does Barco fit? The only option I can think of would be to put him where Tito has been playing, and move Tito to wingback, but I'm not sure I like the idea of Tito with that much defensive responsibility.

My guess is we'll see Gressel come off (sorry Julian), and we'll move back to the 4-5-1 when Barco comes back. If the team isn't successful though, Tata is going to have some difficult choices to make.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCann’s spot at LW.

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only reason he played there this past weekend was to counter Vancouver's height. That's Garza's spot.

Even still, though, I'd have the same reservations with him playing as a wingback as I'd do with Tito. That's not his game.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So Escobar suffering "only" a concussion is good, I would surmise. The delayed news and speculative nature of how he looked being carried off let the rumor mill churn out worse diagnoses. Fortunately this weekend is a week off.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true, he needs to take the extra precaution and just take it easy for a couple weeks after he even feels better. No matter what, I’d keep a close eye on him when he returns to training. That’s not something you just suck up and move on.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AU2 vs NYRB2, USL action, 3-1 win

GK Kann
    RB Wheeler
    CB Cochran
    CB Robinson
    LB Ambrose
    CM Shannon
    CM Metcalf
    RM Kunga
    LM Gallagsher
    CF Kissiedou
    FW Samuel

Subs: Kendall-Moullin, Sandoval, Carranza

DNP: Christiansen, Barajas, Caraux

Goals: Gallagher x 2, Samuel

Don’t know attendance #

10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nagbe out 2-3 months after injuring himself in the Portland match. Hope is to have him back in time for playoff push.

*sigh*

13. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    It is time to move Gressel inside and for Villalba to start

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Possibly, though Gressel excels when he can work outside and provide excellent crosses. Ideally the two play together in more of a 4-4-2 with a decent defender behind them. (I suspect, anyway)

The most immediate like-for-like replacement for Nagbe is Kratz, or if you really want to shake things up move Almiron back there and slot Villalba just behind Martinez.

And now we have Remedi coming in, who looks to eventually slot in at the position.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Call me a contrarian, but I don't think Almiron works in the middle of the pitch. Why? Because he always drifts left which leaves a hole in the middle of the attack. So I don't think moving him back will help. Much like I don't think Villalba being in the middle will help because he and Martinez would end up in the same spaces because speed is the biggest asset of both outside of the box.

I think Villalba is needed on the right now because though Gressel delivers a good final ball, we have looked much more dangerous when we have speed on both flanks. Villalba can get to the end line better than Gressel which opens up more space for Martinez (IMO).

I also don't like Kratz as a starter as he is too plodding. He is a good sub to bring on against tired legs, but for a full game, I don't think he fits into the dynamic attack.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    We definitely could use some reinforcements at outside back. How in the world could we afford him though even if he comes on a free?

19. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    As an Arsenal fan I love the name. We certainly need the cover and trust his experience can provide stop gap coverage til the end of the season.

Mabee? At 35 and his Italian side being relegated I'm hoping we get him for decent wages. Audition here with the hopes of signing back in Europe in the winter

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sagna would be a solid signing for a short term stop gap full back. Extremely experienced in club and international football, and probably has enough in his legs for a half season, especially at the level of MLS. Good value if they can get him for sure.

21. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    whelp. Sagna signs with Montreal. Running out of time to bring in help

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, 2018 looks like the season Josef breaks the record but what about also most points in a season?

9 games left. 6 wins and we tie it. Very doable if we’re focused.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh, and Nagbe is back in training. Light, but training with the team.

25. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I know our academy is good, but I’m not sure why young midfielders sign with us. Their path to the first team is blocked with talent and when that talent moves on it will be replaced by new talent at the DP/TAM level.