2018 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think we need to credit Berhalter here. He's said multiple times that he is willing to hear out players and move them when it is better for them personally or their careers. He's made some moves (or terminated contracts) at times that are baffling to us fans. He's also made some shred and lucrative moves (Gonzalez, Finlay, [controversially] Kamara). He's stated multiple times that Ola's in his plans for this season but would also respect his wishes if it made sense for Columbus. If Ola doesn't want to go to Colorado, Berhalter doesn't have to shop him. I imagine by this point Berhalter has proven he's good on his word that he wants to make it a place where players can trust that he'll look out for their development and their careers.

2. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Players know when entering a deal with MLS that they could be traded at anytime. Only certain designated players have “no trade” clauses in their contracts. I totally understand trying to do right by the player but he also has to do right by his club.

3. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we were leaving something huge on rhe table from Colorado for a crappy deal with LA, I'd agree with you. However, Gregg has said he has Ola in the plans for the 2018 squad. He's productive and knows the system and players. If the deal isn't right for Ola, playing forward in Columbus could be doing right by the team and the player.

4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All indications are these teams are low balling us specifically LA. I’d rather sell overseas than get minimal return for a starter when our back up striker should be 3rd string to begin with

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gregg trades Ola for peanuts, I'll take back every good thing I've ever said about him.

Kamara has scored 35 goals in the last two seasons. (One of which saw him not even get on the field for the first third of the season until the other Kamara was traded.) Our next option off the bench has 7.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I can find around the webs...Sosa seems more like a #10 who can also play on either wing....so I would think we could count him as depth for Meram and Santos. Perhaps if Meram leaves us, he could start on the wing and then move central when Pipa leaves. Gonna have to wait and see how the Ola/J9 talk shakes out before we can truly know our needs.

With that said....I'm expecting us to sign a starting caliber LB from overseas. Maybe we grab another fullback/wingback in the draft for depth.

I think we grab at least one DM in the draft.

I expect us to draft a striker as our first pick. Even more so now that Ola and Justin are unsettled. If Ola leaves, hopefully we'll move quickly on finding a proven replacement.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought is "good luck with that". For me, strikers are hard to find. Proven strikers? In this league? Tougher. Proven ones go elsewhere. Like Stern John, for one. Or McB. Rightly so--they are at a premium, like being a lefty pitcher in baseball.

Robbo Crewfan and Tobias C repped this.
  8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hate to see him leave us. He's our longest tenured player and has only played for us. Kinda feels similar to Marshall leaving. If it does have to end this way....I want to see him land on his feet somewhere good, and I would be happy for him to be at Portland.

Hoping none of this has to come to be....I don't have faith that this organization will try hard enough to replace both Ola and Justin, with the future of the club undetermined.

Hopefully theres something to the Santiago Garcia rumors. He would be a sufficient Ola replacement.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We're not likely to get good offers for Meram or Kamara if other teams believe we have to move them.

12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Larin was drafted, kid from Michigan looks like a good project striker. There has to be several college strikers with more potential than Adam Jahn

13. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest reports saying a midtable La Liga team is interested in Ola.

Seems to me it would be more advantageous to trade him in-league than to sell him to Europe. Sell him overseas and MLS only gives us like what, 600k or so in allocation to put back into our roster? Trade him to LA Galaxy, who's interested, and get like 1 mil + in allocation....or like 800k in TAM/GAM + Gyasi Zardes or something.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may not get the choice. Player contracts are held by the league. Not sure a team gets to veto that if the league wants to make the move.

15. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It would be great if we pull off a trade and MLS sells him to the La Liga side anyway.

16. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd rather sell him to La Liga. The more Berhalter can demonstrate he cultivates success in growing players careers, the better he'll be able to recruit young, hungry players to come to Columbus to play professional soccer.

ibrew, catfish9, Tobias C and 4 others repped this.
  17. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And...that's also the type of MLS side that I love to cheer for! I want to hope that a stop at the club I support will be mutually beneficial.

hangthadj repped this.
  18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league is pretty much removed themselves from transfer dealings on both in coming and out going

SourCream&OnionUtd and zman31 repped this.
  19. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boateng. Ghanaian. Played in Scandinavia. Gigi's mouth must be watering.

Jaybir, TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the truth is that it is all my fault.;);) I picked up Kamara and Meram jerseys at the garage sale last season.:eek:

For me, getting a jersey guarantees someone will move or get traded....

Jaybir and Coupe repped this.
  21. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #96 110toyourleft, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, but it would be batshit crazy to trade Ola Kamara if we don't have another striker lined up. And Gyasi Zardes, who has the same amount of goals in twice the number of matches, doesn't count.

Edit: misspelled Gyasi

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Gyassi Zardes has never had the privilege of playing in Tactical Genius Gregg Berhalter's system.

TRUJDUB and 110toyourleft repped this.
  23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Zardes is horrible.

porchlight repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Zardes scored in only one less playoff game in 2017 than the Columbus Crew.

Placid Casual repped this.
  25. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Zardes strikes me as somewhere between great and horrible. Mediocre, perhaps? Probably not as good as Ola Kamara, I would say.