2018 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    You mean the year of Ivan Becerra? Ryan Coiner?

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an intetesting strategy. I dig it. Though as a GA player, Opoku is protected automatically. Taking the philosophy all the way out:

Auto protect = 2. Crognale (HG), Opoku (GA).

Protect = 11. Trapp, Steffen, Zardes, Meram, Artur, Valenzuela, Afful, Abubakar, Sosa + 2 (Sauro & Mullins?)

Avail: Pipa, Mensah, Santos, Williams, Jimenez, Clark, Abu, Grella, Martinez, Hansen, Argudo, Jahn, Kempin, Maloney, Ketterer, Lundgaard.

I could go that route.

3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What moves a player from home-grown to not home-grown (i.e. Trapp)?

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    When he's no longer on a home-grown contract.

Tobias C, TKyle and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any DP with a no-trade clause in his contract must be protected by rule. I have no idea which, if any, of out DPs that would apply to.

TrueCrew repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have Afful on my list. If anyone wants a $270K/yr over-30 international roster spot right back, by all means, take him.

I think it is a borderline wonder that this team is a good as it is this year. Something special for sure. I don't really like any of them. I keep Trapp & Meram for sentimental reasons. Artur and Valenzuela because they are halfway valuable assets due to age and potential. Steffen is our only truly remarkable player and Zardes is our only scorer.

After that? Dime a dozen. Berhalter somehow has managed to make this terrible bed as the sporting director and figured out how to lie in it as the coach. It's astounding.

How many expansion years have we cried that we couldn't protect everyone of value or that we loved and needed? I don't think it is the Austin cloud here making me down on these guys, they just aren't very good at the soccering. I had 8 guys on my original list and it was a stretch to get there. Six in that more honest list above. How are we a winning team? I think I may have just come around on Berhalter as a coach. Sporting director though? Not so much.

the_rickler and Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Agree and disagree. He has found players that fit his system and does well for a tight budget. However, few players are irreplaceable. Steffen, Trapp, Artur and Zardes should be protected. Meram if he performs well. I'm not as big on Valenzuela, Sosa or Opoku as some around here but I could see a case for them given their age.

8. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure. The team is much greater than the sum of its parts. The top heavy guys, Pipa, Mensah and Santos are all underperforming for their pay in my opinion despite some improvement from Mensah this year. Obviously Santos is woefully below what is expected based on his DP status and salary.

I like the young guys you mention quite a bit because they have shown on the field that they belong and are relatively cheap. I have more confidence in them than the previous generation of young guys, Hansen, Martinez, and Maloney.

9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    How did Martinez get his green card so fast? If he has one why not Afful or Mensah?

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Afful apparently does. He's not listed as an International on the official roster.

I do like the pronunciation guide the team gives for him....

Pronunciation: AH-full (like Waffle)

Dispatch:

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Santos is a waste of money and Mensah has improved but not worth the salary. I've been fine with Pipa's play this year and we are a better team with him on the field. He is slowing down but he moves the point of attack quicker than anyone else we have.

Not big on Maloney, think Martinez can have a decent MLS career but not sure about Hansen. I see a lot of Meram in him in that he has all the tools but can't seem to put it together. I like the fact he is willing to take players on but he does it too often and sometimes at the wrong time. He has a decent outside shot but seems too nervous to use it. Speed to burn but not always getting back to defend. Dribbles when he should pass, passes when he should cross and crosses when he should dribble but the skills are certainly on display. Love Hansen's effort and hope he blossoms in a Crew uniform.

Crewmania and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I mean, we still list him as HG, which is true. But all HG players are not automatically protected.

Those on the supplemental/reserve roster who make 150k or less over the min are auto protected. Those on the senior roster eho make more than 150k above the min are not. Trapp makes 500k. We had to protect him last time.

14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Afful does i think.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See above...

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, in terms of protection, there used to be a rule about x amount of internationals that had to be protected.

Available internationals cannot exceed total intetnationals minus three.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/13/mls-expansion-draft-rules-procedure

We have 7 internationals at the moment: Mensah, Santos, Valenzuela, Artur, Abubakar, Sosa, and Abu.

Pipa, Afful, Sauro, & Martinez all have green cards.

We have to protect at least 3 of our internationals: Artur, Valenzuela, & Abubakar would be my first 3. Easy.

Santos and Abu you leave unprotected. Mensah & Sosa could go either way.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm surprised Abubakar doesn't have a green card yet. He's been in the US longer than Martinez. Lalas went to college at Dayton and has an above average paying job.

TKyle repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sosa is going to do well and worse case is a good back up CAM which we haven’t had in how many years? Never ?

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Maestro?

puttputtfc repped this.
  20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys... This is important...

ARTUR HAS A MUSTACHE AND I THINK I LOVE IT
    [​IMG]

Draghignazzo, Tobias C and zman31 repped this.
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You are really high on Sosa. What do you see in him?

22. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    VIOLENCE

23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Haha that was a young a dumb foul but I like how he controls his dribble gets his head up and makes the right decisions from a mental standpoint. I think he has the most potential of all our young midfielders. I like his hustle and effort much like Artur only he has much better attacking skills. I really think when healthy he should rotate starts with Higuain.

puttputtfc repped this.
  24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young, cheap and creative are the three things that come to mind for me (I'm quite high on him, too). He has shown some skill and flair, doesn't look out of his depth when played in the Pipa role. That's enough for me. Considering we have no one that can even sub in to that role but him, makes him quite valuable to the team.

As I said earlier, my protection list for an expansion draft is basically Trapp, Steffen, Meram and all the guys under 25. Guys like Sosa and Opoku have value in their age and potential. I'd love to see more of them both, Eddie now because he's healthy but Sosa when he's ready too.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I guess I don't think he is ready to start yet. The potential is there in spurts but he's not able to carry a team yet.

Draghignazzo and chr1st repped this.