2018 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Agreed. The schedule actually sets up nicely for us IMO because Ggg should have a clear idea of what we may need after the tough stretch when the window opens in July.

2. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Bryan Ruiz is available, leaving Sporting next month. I'd take him on an 18 month deal.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be interesting.

4. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s been playing alongside Fredy Montero. Probably has numerous vernerial diseases as a result.

5. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp and Steffen missing next two games.....I know I’m in minority with this sentiment but screw that shit. Taking guys for Euro friendlies is crap.

porchlight repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 MLS players from 2 teams.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to today's Dogpatch, Martinez is not on the Panama final roster.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not surprising, he was a long shot to begin with.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1003573701739188224 is not a valid tweet id

10. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    PSV is only willing to pay for half the price of something? Shocking!

On a side note, what position does this guy play?

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just PSV--you'll note that Chicago and MLS also are reported to be involved.

This is a negotiating position, nothing more. It's not like players have hard and fast prices affixed to them. You don't buy them at Walmart.

12. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Luckily you can find players with minimum fee release clauses at Walmart though. No idea how the Walton family does it.

redi44crew repped this.
  13. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like hes 22, primarily a right winger. Also looks like he got his first cap with the senior Polish team recently, being called up to the preliminary World Cup squad, but it looks like he didn't make the final roster.

14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Does anyone think we will make some roster changes in the summer window?

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I just hope some are incoming rather than outgoing.

TRUJDUB, CrewV Man and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  16. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about potential moves....

It's kind of popular opinion that Precourt wont spend any money on players since hes trying to tank this team. That would make sense but I'm not so sure. After all, hes not trying to completely kill the Crew.......I think he ideally wants to keep it alive and breathing (even if abused and neglected) to have a roster to field immediately in Austin. I'm of the opinion that Precourt will spend some money on some good players because the intent is to have them in Austin eventually anyway. And worst case scenario he has to sell the team to Columbus locals and recoups the cost of the DPs in his sale price hopefully. I'm also considering that weve been rumored to be interested in several different foreign, attacking players (wingers, strikers) so far this season with some alleged offers of $1 million, 2 million, and 2.5 million for a few of those rumored prospects. Those are Pedro Santos level numbers which would indicate to me Gregg still has the leeway to grab a decent player still if its the right deal.

At first I disregarded the idea......but as I've been pondering.....I'm warming up to the idea of favoring a move for Piatti. I feel like he's easily the missing link to our attack and that were easily cup contenders with him added. Joey Saputos made it known that hes open minded to the thought of selling off Piatti to help fund a rebuild of his squad. How much do we think Piattis worth? On one hand, hes older (33 like Pipa) which might devalue him a bit. On the other hand hes shown no signs of slowing down with 2 consecutive prior seasons of 17 goals each, and 7 goals not even half way through this season on a Montreal team that is crap this year. Productive players in their prime like Kamara and Meram seem to be worth several hundred thousand in TAM. Anyone have any ballpark idea how much TAM we might still have laying around? Even if Precourt isn't down for paying Piattis big 4.7 mil salary.......If the team sells this year at some point....new ownership might be cool with it.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PPG Standings at the break: Crew sit 4th in the East on PPG and 8th overall.

2.07 FC Dallas
    2.06 Atlanta
    1.93 SKC
    1.87 NYCFC
    1.86 NYRB

1.71 LAFC
    1.69 Portland
    1.59 Columbus
    1.50 Houston
    1.50 NER
    1.47 RSL
    1.44 Vancouver

1.33 LAG
    1.27 Orlando
    1.20 Philly
    1.19 Chicago
    1.14 Minnesota
    1.07 Toronto

0.94 Montreal
    0.85 Seattle
    0.83 DCU
    0.67 SJE
    0.64 Colorado

TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I hope we get a striker and a winger. I also would not mind if we lose a winger like Pedro. I like the young guys to devolp especially like Martínez but he isn’t starter ready nor are the others

19. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess Santos will get the same treatment as Mensah. Not going to offload him right away when we paid good money for him. He will at least see this season out. They will give him time to find some production.

On the other hand, I think we could probably afford to let go of one of either Martinez or Hansen, as much as I want to see both of them succeed. We also have Argudo and Opoku. Martinez is in his 3rd season with us now and needs to either show something substantial quick.....or lose the starting spot.

20. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the guy we wanted before we settled for Santos.

1008861043706224642 is not a valid tweet id

Venezuelan winger Jhon Murrillo....apparently on the outs at Benfica. He favors a move to MLS. Apparently the only concrete offer they've received so far is from one MLS team.

I wonder if were asking for him again?

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Sounds like he's interested.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He chose a loan move to some midtable turkish team instead of us, thats how we settled on santos.

Transfer fee was rumored to be around 3 or 4 million iirc.

Tobias C repped this.
  23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Joel Campbell (copy & paste)

For crying out loud, can someone go grab the Costa Rica terror already?!? I've wanted it to happen for a while, and now Campbell (pictured, top) is a free agent. Teams like Galatasaray are already hovering around, but a fast-acting MLS team can add a speedy forward/winger raised in big European leagues. Stateside fans are already painfully aware of his ability to stretch and unnerve defenses. The time may be ripe for him to finally score and star consistently.

Who should take notice? Boy, Seattle might start breaking the bank with this gazelle around. However, they seem zeroed in on Peru forward Raul Ruidiaz (who amounts to a great cheat pick for this list by now). Looking elsewhere, it says here that Columbus jumps into the top tier of MLS Cup contenders if they find some goals from out wide to supplement their Gyasi Zardes windfall.

I’ll take him, thoughts?

24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So did he transfer to that team because they didn’t want a lowball offer from PSV?

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No to joel campbell. Too many injuries, never seems to take being a professional seriously. Only cares about money (why he never transferred away from arsenal and just went on like 6 or 7 consecutive loans).

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.