2018 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Higuain and Santos are regular DPs and Valenzuela is a Young DP. I believe Mensah was bought down but someone should correct me if I'm wrong.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Unfortunately, you are asking a riddle that no one can answer. Guille Bless MLS rules.

Robbo Crewfan and Tobias C repped this.
  3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Milton on loan I have to assume we are paying a decent loan fee that pushes him into the young DP category. Also, hasn’t it been reported we have an option to buy? For some reason the number 1.2 million is sticking in my head.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milton is for sure a young DP. It was announced as such when he was signed and the team bought down Mensah's salary with funny money to get him below DP threshold. We have Pipa and Santos as DPs and Milton as a young DP making our 3.

Draghignazzo and Tobias C repped this.
  5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not questing if he is a young DP my question is that due to the salary or also the salary plus loan fee normally associated with taking a player on loan.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer fees (and thus I'd imagine loan fees) are amortized over the course of the player's contract I believe. Until his numbers are made public, hard to say, though keep in mind the cap threshold for a young DP is much lower than a normal DP.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right but if it’s a year loan then it would be over this one year. Isn’t the young DP like 250k?

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    MLS used to amortize transfer fees over the guaranteed years on a contract but they switched to counting the whole transfer fee in year 1. So some players will go from DP status to non-DP without having to be bought down.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes rule needs modification Mensah should never been a DP

10. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But we got $1 MM for Meram so maybe?

11. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old news....no developments in over two weeks.
    Plus, under GGG when has a rumored move been true?
    Seems like most moves have been under the radar.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valenzuela was rumored for ages. As was Ola and Meram leaving.

For the most part though, yeah there is no inside reporting on the Crew. It's been bitched about for quite a while.

TRUJDUB and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm guessing the reason Artur isn't a DP is that we must have paid the transfer fee out of team allocation money rather than from Precourt's pockets.

14. TheBearDoesNotQuit

TheBearDoesNotQuit New Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone know why they are not playing Jimenez? Is he injured? If not, why keep him and pay him when he's not being used?

15. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    He might be the most versatile depth piece in the league, similar to a Brad Evans in that regard but way, way cheaper.

Couple that with the fact that he is also reputedly one of the great "locker room/training ground" guys around the league, and it's a no-brainer why you'd want to keep him. In fact, I'm still stunned LA Football Craft selected Raitala and not Hector.

Robbiegoal, zman31 and Draghignazzo repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably thought he counted against their foreign allotment...

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, low salary veteran that can step in and do the basics at 3 or 4 spots on the field. I'd be comfortable with him starting 3-6 games due to injuries and coming on as an injury replacement sub in a handful of other games with no caveats.

There are only 14 guys who can play any given week. He is the 15th or 16th guy. He's never going to be a tactical change sub anymore. In fact, the fewer times he sees the game day roster the better we are as a team as that means we have guys that are developing that are better than him. I get the feeling that he's ok with that. He's learning tactics and coaching skills, pushing the young guys to be pros and getting paid to stay fit.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone think we would still sign another center forward, at this point?

mlssoccer.com posted a report "Portuguese forward Tomane being pursued by unnamed MLS club".

It caught my interest because it sounded like a Crew type of signing.

25 year old, 6'1" and 196 lbs. Sounds strong. Played for a couple Greek clubs in recent years but not a ton of appearances or goals. Currently at Tondela in Portuguese league where he has 6 goals in 25 appearances.

We already have Portuguese speaking players (Artur and Santos) so that could be a factor. He doesn't quite seem like an MLS starter but maybe? Might be an appropriate level to be pushing Zardes though?

Just speculating.

Also. If people get tired of me speaking about players not on our roster, in the roster thread, I can make a rumored players thread or something. I know some people can get annoyed by rumors. I for one love them.

TRUJDUB, Jaybir and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  19. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have found this to be an excellent source for answering MLS rules' questions. All questions are answered with as much accuracy and reliability as any.
    [​IMG]

20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't personally think we'll see anything.

TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Keep it in here it’s apporiate we should do something at CF which means we will likely do nothing.

22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How many players are on the last year of their contract ?

If I was Trapp after the season I would make it known I would refuse to play on a MLS team anywhere outside of Cbus. Honestly if a large amount of players all said that after we win the MLS cup it would make my day

23. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    We can dream.

But I can’t hold it against these guys who are working hard on the field and collecting a paycheck to live their dream of playing professional ball.

The players, especially Trapp deserve better. I just don’t see them risking their career and livelihood on principle.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  24. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are going to see a group of 22 players re-signed to Columbus for the next season.

CybrSlydr and chr1st repped this.
  25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lol but seriously where is the roster expert with a list of everyone on the last year of their contract?

Current roster needs:

1 - another striker
    2– another outside mid with experience
    3- upgrade CDM and either bench Trapp or move him. We need some toughness it’s nice that Trapp is a smart player but he lacks the size and grit it takes to be a great CDM.
    4- we need a veteran back up, left footed LB. JH played great last year but we seem to be a player short on outside back

We may need to get rid of a GK to make room

How many roster spots do we have open ?