2018 Season Needs & Analysis

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Nov 28, 2017.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Mostly out of boredom, I thought it would be good to take a look at roster needs now that roster decisions have come out.

Analysis:

This team wasn't really much of a team to start the season in 2017, but improved dramatically starting with a July 4th beatdown of LAG. They only lost 3 matches from then forward, after losing 12 matches to that point. In addition to the record, the quality from that point on can be seen in the number of Team of the Week honors.

Backline: IMO the starting backline of Acosta, Silva, Glad and Beltran was very good down the stretch last year, but was lacking in a couple of areas. First, the team could use more time together to become a bit more cohesive. Acosta also needs a little more maturity when it comes to defensive positioning. He frequently allowed diagonal runs in behind him especially in the middle part of the season. This squad also needs a little more quality off the bench than it had in 2017.

Middle of the park: This aspect of RSL was invisible for much of the first half of 2017, but started to evolve into a strength. From June forward, Beckerman had one of his better seasons in recent years. Mulholland was very good down the stretch(last 4-5 weeks), really highlighting his ability to make late runs into space. But it was Rusnak who really was the engine for this team, and emerged as a top midfielder in the league. The 2017 season once again highlighted the need to find a Beckerman replacement, which has proved elusive to this point.

In the attack: A once disjointed attack that featured Movsisyan on an island and missing countless opportunities, turned into something very dynamic. When Rusnak, Savarino, Plata and Silva were on the pitch together they were potent down the stretch with the exception of a brief late-season swoon that likely did their playoff hopes in. Despite that letdown, this group gave RSL a lot to look forward to in 2018. I'm a bit in the minority as I'm not convinced RSL needs to find a starting level forward to take over for Silva. I think he plays very well off of this group, and depth is the primary need here. But depth was a problem in this role in 2017, as Yura could never get on the same page as this squad. It will be very interesting to see if Allen can have a healthy season and make a meaningful contribution to RSL for the first time. I sort of wonder if he isn't given another look at right back in the coming season. Lennon for me is an interesting player but not a must sign. He gives great effort, opens up space for teammates, but the quality is still often lacking.

Needs:

• Re-sign Rimando, Beckerman
    • Move Yura
    • Backup keeper
    • Reserve forward (depending on Yura status, could find a starter)
    • Reserve right back (at least someone who projects at Beltran level down the road)
    • Reserve center back (upgrade from Horst)
    • Beckerman heir, if possible

Player of the Week Honors
    Week 4: Matt VanOekel
    Week 6: Albert Rusnák and Yura Movsisyan
    Week 7: Mike Petke
    Week 13: Sunny
    Week 16: Joao Plata
    Week 19: Albert Rusnák and Jefferson Savarino
    Week 20: Joao Plata and Danilo Acosta
    Week 23: Kyle Beckerman
    Week 25: Justen Glad, Albert Rusnák, Luis Silva and Mike Petke
    Week 28: Justen Glad and Albert Rusnák
    Week 29: Nick Rimando and Jefferson Savarino

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Totally on point here.

GK:
    Sparrow is #2 for now. Get the next #2 signed this year. Rimando will likely end up being the USMNT GK coach whenever he decides to retire from MLS, which will happen in the next year or two.

Backline:
    Completely correct that we need someone to push Beltran. Having Phillips for 2018 will keep the heat on Acosta.

We need a better-than-Horst 3rd option at CB, to keep Silva honest and help mentor Glad a bit more. Is there a 30+ career MLS CB hanging around (a la Chad Barrett is for forward) to have on hand?

Mids:
    Solid DM to whom Kyle can hand the reigns.
    I'd say a back-up for Rusnak, but we can't afford to have two of these type of players without them both being on the field at the same time. A creative CM is just something the team always needs to have 4-5 guys in their sights at all times.

Forward:
    With Barrett injured and out, we need another guy to push Silva, even if Yura is stuck on the team for 2018. With all the injury issues we've historically had up front, it's a good idea to always have 3 guys ready to go. Right now, we've got only Silva. I don't count Yura at all. A speedy guy like Manneh or Ricketts, or a smash-bro like Alan Gordon, would be helpful for late-game subs if we can get one for under $200k.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're set on GK assuming Rimando stays. I would assume the 3rd string would be whoever is starting for the Monarchs. I wouldn't spend money on a 3rd string guy.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My swing at this:
    Intro: Assuming Petke continues the same formation/tactical identity, the easiest way to break the team is into three parts: Backline (GK and back 4), box to box and Dmids (2 center mids), and Attack (AM, wings, and CF)

Backline: The starting backline of Acosta-Silva-Glad-Beltran contains a lot of talent. However, it still feels like 3/4ths of what Petke wants. Tony Beltran doesn't gel with what Petke really wants out of his outside backs. To be fair, Tony showed more talent in this area than I thought he had. Still, he wasn't a constant threat on the wing. Plays on his side typically were of the combination type instead of him being a threat to whip in an accurate cross or go to goal. Further, it's important to note that Tony got hurt at the end of the year and speculation is he won't be set to go on opening day. We really don't have an option right now, given the moves (and hopeful retirement of Wingert) to step in. That needs to be addressed asap. Oh, and Nicky comes back.
    Players on 2018 Roster: Acosta, Beltran, Glad, Horst, Phillips, Silva

Box to Box and D-Mids: The KB question mark here is massive. I'm leaning towards him coming back but it's still up in the air. Regardless, an addition needs to be made here. Taking a year older KB with the other three players is asking for opposing AM's to tear us apart. We don't need a "KB replacement". We need a top level central midfielder. If we learn nothing else from Rusnak/Javi, I hope that we learn that a different type of player isn't a bad thing.Players on 2018 Roster: Besler, Mulholland, Sunny

In the attack: So many questions here yet also not a whole lot of space. I'm curious how the Lennon situation will play out. If Liverpool is asking for any significant money then it doesn't make sense to buy him now. Just wait til July. What is scary here is the drop in quality after out top players. We have a top level AM, two very good wings (even if I think Plata is at his ceiling, he's still good), and a FW that works in the system. After that? A lot of question marks. Allen is injury prone. Hernandez showed glimpses of promise but a lot of disapearing acts. Bofo can be so good and so bad. And then ********ing Yura. We need depth here but not the kind that you just go get in the draft or on the waiver wire. The TAM infusion should be focused here mostly.
    Players on 2018 Roster: Allen, Hernandez, Plata, Rusnak, Saucedo, Savarino, Silva, Yura

Needs (in no particular order):
    - Bring back KB and Nicky on 1 year contracts
    - Right Back
    - Young CB to go with the 2nd string Horst line
    - Starting Center Mid
    - Wings
    - AM depth
    - Starting FW

Lizzie Bee, RSLer, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what thread to put this in. Honestly, I feel like we have 2 or 3 threads that are talking about the same thing and then every other ********ing thing under the sun so, whatever. With that said, given all but 5 MLS teams (wtf is with DCU?) have posted who is in and out of contract/options picked up, I thought it would be interesting to look at who RSL could add.

A few notes before diving into the lists:
    * If you're looking at players dumped by other MLS teams you're not likely to get starting quality. If you do, it's going to be expensive.
    * A players option not being picked up or out of contract by no means indicates that their 2017 club is done with them.

ATL
    OUT OF CONTRACT (2):
    Boswell, Reynish
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (7): Bloom, Heath, K. Jones, Loyd, Mears, Otoo, Tambakis

CHI
    OUT OF CONTRACT (2):
    Meira, Schweinsteiger (in negotiations)
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (7): Calistri, Dekovic, Doody, Fernandez, Goossens, Harrington, Sanchez (in negotiations)

CRP
    OUT OF CONTRACT (1):
    Bobby Burling
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (6): Berner, Castillo, Williams, Gatt, Saeid, Gordon

CLB (tbd)

DCU (not posted)

FCD
    OUT OF CONTRACT (1):
    Seitz
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (10): Cermeño, Cortes, Grana, Gonzalez, Guillen, Harris, Hume, Morales, Craft, Figueroa

HOU (tbd)

LAG
    OUT OF CONTRACT (2):
    Cole, Husidic
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (13): Diop, Kempin, Rowe, Diallo, Smith, van Anholt, Garcia, Husidic, Jones, Mendiola, Ja. Villarreal, Jo. Villarreal, McBean, McInerney

MIN
    OUT OF CONTRACT (1):
    McLain
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (7): Anor, Jome, Davis, de Villardi, Greenspan, Taylor, Venegas

MTL
    OUT OF CONTRACT (5):
    Bernardello, Camara, Duvall (offer extended), Kronberg, Oyongo (offer extended)
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (2): Francis, Romero

NER
    OUT OF CONTRACT (5):
    Teal Bunbury, Andrew Farrell, Brad Knighton, Daigo Kobayashi, Gershon Koffie
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (7): Benjamin Angoua, Xavier Kouassi, Donnie Smith,Josh Smith, Je-Vaughn Watson, London Woodberry, and Brian Wright

NYCFC
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (11):
    Allen, Brillant, Camargo, Gomez, Johansen, Lopez, Mena, Okoli, Struna, Stertzer, White

NYRB
    OUT OF CONTRACT (1):
    Perrinelle
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (10): Zizzo, Baah, Grella, Duka, Metzger, Basuljevic, Bezecourt (in discussions), Lewis, Veron (in discussions), Allen

ORL
    OUT OF CONTRACT (3):
    Alston, D. Garcia, Kaka
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (8): Barnes, Barry, Carrasco, Donovan, Hines, Nocerino, Powers, Saunders

PHI
    OUT OF CONTRACT (2):
    Fabinho, Pontius
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (9): Alberg, Davies, Edu, Herbers, Ilsinho, A. Jones, Onyewu, Tribbett, Wijnaldum
    RETIRED (1): Brian Carroll

POR
    OUT OF CONTRACT (1):
    Ben Zemanski
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (3): Okugo, Tuiloma (INT'L), Mattocks (in discussions)

SJ
    OUT OF CONTRACT (3):
    Bingham, Sarkodie, Imperiale
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (7): Bernardez, Colvey, Cato, Mfeka, Pelosi, Silva, Hoesen

SEA (tbd)

SKC
    OUT OF CONTRACT (2):
    Porter, Palmer-Brown
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (4): Iwasa, Mustivar, Oliveira, Pasher

TFC (tbd)

VAN
    OUT OF CONTRACT (3):
    Jacobson (in talks), Harvey (in talks), Montero (in talks)
    CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (12): Ousted, Edgar (in talks), Seiler, Williams, Bolanos (in talks), Bustos (in talks), Igiebor (in talks), Laba (in talks), McKendry, Rosales, Teibert (in talks), Greig

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @kirsoccer - looks like we did pretty good vis-a-vis your list.

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, I think it's hard to find anything to complain about heading into the season. It appears that all of the needs have been met (including the assumed release of Yura). Now the team just needs to bring it together on the field.

8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, Craig Waibel reads BigSoccer.

Allez RSL, BalanceUT, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been any word about Yura? Seems weird to be nearing the start of the season and it nothing has happened as far as we can tell.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far he has not even reported to preseason for anything...

11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke was on the Extra Time podcast this week and Weibe asked him how he’s going to rotate the striker position between Yura, Alfredo, and Silva. Petke’s response never mentioned Yura. He spoke about how well Silva did last year and it’s his spot to lose. He also spoke about how much scouting went into Alfredo and how much they know about him. Never touched on Yura at all or what needs to be improved on in his situation.

Allez RSL and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saved his job imo.
    Show Spoiler
    just kidding

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting prediction from fivethirtyeight.com. They predict RSL to be:
    • 4th in the West (behind Seattle, Portland, and SKC)
    • 8th in the League
    • collecting 47 points during the season with a +1 goal differential
    • 57% of making the playoffs with a 17% chance of a first-round bye
    • 2% chance of winning the Supporters Shield
    • 3% chance of winning the MLS Cup

RSLer, 15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  14. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very solid and realistic prediction, we have to integrate some new pieces that don't have a ton of experience and the west is very much the wildcard conference this year. We haven't been to the playoffs for a few years, we had some success to close out 2017, now the team needs to take the next step and secure a playoff spot and get that experience. I think 2018 is a solid playoff team with a potential first round win and second round elimination, 2019 should be a year where they contend for hardware, 2020 should be a year they win hardware of some kind. With the west being an unknown we could finish anywhere from first to 6th I would think.

PumaJohnny and Allez RSL repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

RSLer, PumaJohnny, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your assumption that we keep this group together is... well an assumption.
    Look, I love Albert Rusnak, but if he has a year like last year the numbers other clubs throw our way are only going to go up. Getting something out of him while he's on contract instead of praying and hoping he'll sign a new contract with us when that one is up is the way to go.

Same thing with Savarino, Plata, Glad, Acosta, etc.

The difference in this group vs the 2010 era one is that we have players early in their careers, not midway/end. That means a different set of variables from the go. Most notably the pressure from other clubs around the world to buy our top players.

BalanceUT repped this.
  17. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    #17 kirsoccer, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    I would take exception with one portion of this, I think RSL only has to integrate one new piece - Henley (due to Beltran injury). I think this will be the only real change at the start of the season from the stretch part of the season last year. The team then has the luxury to infuse new talent - at their leisure - to try to improve the squad, and improve depth. Down the stretch this same squad (aside from Henley) produced roughly 2 PPG. Do I think you can extrapolate that to 68 points over this season? Absolutely not. My best guess would be somewhere in the 48-52 range, but I wouldn't be surprised if they outperformed that. As for the playoffs, I think the squad may be a bit young to see a lot of success this year, but only time will tell.

RSLer, DrownedElf, Ivensor and 4 others repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'd be pretty happy if we ended up being a quality feeder team that scraped into the playoffs because we lose talent during the summer.

Wait. No I wouldn't.

The Franchise, RSLer, DrownedElf and 2 others repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m bumping this thread following the awful performance at LAG tonight. The reason is that imo the lack of quality up front is our biggest problem, as opposed to the common belief that the back line or mid field is the problem. Teams consistently pressure us high. Why? We pose no true threat on the counter. When we do counter we depend on a $54K/year forward to do the job, which is absurd. My thesis: the lack of quality on the attack is the root cause of RSL’s problems. I could break that down further by pointing out that we have $3.1M tied up in non-contributing attackers. Which, further broken down points to either the GM or the scouting department, or both. Anyway, I’m consuming my 4th cocktail and decided I should do this.

goobx1 repped this.
  20. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    While I would agree that RSL's lack of enough quality in the attack is a problem, but I'm curious as to why "this game" was the one that made you post. RSL played the 1st half the way they wanted, and created one fantastic and 2 very good chances, all on the counter. LAG was not particularly dangerous in the first half.

The 2nd half WAS problematic, all over the field, yet RSL was a blown call away from a man advantage and a howler away from a possible result.

If anything after this game, RSL should be looking for Rimando's replacement sooner rather than later. I also would have preferred a more mobile center mid along with Sunny. Oh, and for Sava to stop giving the ball away and making poor final 1/3 choices.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reasons I chose that game to post the thought were, in order:
    1) See the last sentence of my post, and
    2) The thought’s been growing for a while and the frustration of the game was the straw that broke the camel’s back. The LAG defense is pretty mediocre. Yes, we did a couple of things, but were mostly not dangerous at all. MLS teams can basically almost ignore our attack, which frees them up to play very high.

We were again left hoping for a red card or pk advantage. We lament that a call was blown and didn’t get a man advantage. Why? Because we don’t have much of a chance of scoring without such favorable events.

Everyone is ragging on Rimando, but I think he just fell victim to the special circumstance of having to jump against a 6’5 world class scorer. After that play he lost his composure a bit.