2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured with a CONCACAF CL match vs. TFC coming up on the 20th I'd be proactive and get a jump on creating a season catch-all thread.

**** Let's try not to venture out of the 2017-18 Offseason Catch-All Thread unless it's directly related to the official opening of the seaosn - i.e. Champions League match *

2. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids just sent me 4 tickets to the CL match Tuesday as a reminder I AM opted out of my 2018 STM.

3. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the CCL match gonna be streamed somewhere? Haven't they been on Facebook or something in the past?

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Same here. I’m tempted to go.

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    With the forecast in the teens and snow on the ground for Tuesday, what’s the chance of a postponement?

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's early yet for a forecast, but the weather channel app says 1 for Tuesday night! Tues high 11, low 1. Wow.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odds the game gets moved to Wednesday?

8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Since only a couple hundred would show on Tuesday night i would say pretty high.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'IT CAN GET DANGEROUS': Toronto FC, Colorado facing frigid conditions in Champions League play
    http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...ng-frigid-conditions-in-champions-league-play

COMtnGuy and Centennial repped this.
  10. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hey, soccer is an all weather sport. No sniveling. You know, unless you go to the game and your nose starts running. Then you can snivel.

Personally I'm looking forward to watching it on Univision near the fireplace with a hot toddy by my side. My only request is that when you chant "Go" and "Rapids", make sure it's in rhythm.

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yes, but . . . there is a point at which it is downright dangerous for both players and fans. It's ridiculous that CONCACAF doesn't have a weather protocol. Looking at the forecast it should be postponed a minimum of 24 hours.

Really, CONCACAF needs to have been thinking of the potential weather issue for both legs of this match-up as soon asit was announced.

Hopefully something can be worked out in the next 20 hours or so.

Is it on Univision? I've been looking to see where it might be televised.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current hourly forecast has it at 15 degrees at kickoff with a wind chill down to 6, a chance of a few snow showers leading up to kickoff.

13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My comment was totally tongue in cheek. I thought the start time was a joke when it was announced and we had no idea what the weather would be. Would have been great this afternoon. Can't imagine there wouldn't be frostbite Tuesday night.

Rapids list the game on Univision Deportes.com. I'm hoping to watch it there, hooked to the TV. Streaming sports events are pretty good these days.

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I figured. But I am activated by the issue.

Agreed.

So to accommodate a streaming broadcast the match is scheduled to start 8 pm local time on a weeknight in the winter in Colorado?

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. The dates and TV contracts were set before the draw. Remember most of the rest of the teams outside the MLS sides are in season, so they play CCL during the week. Had we been drawn against a Mexican side they would have had games on the weekend.

That said, CONCACAF is so poorly run that they couldn't figure out a way to move the CCL games to the weekends after Colorado was drawn against TFC. Not that they could have know we'd have a gorgeous weekend followed by a deep freeze this week but there's a lot more flexibility had they scheduled the games for back-to-back Saturdays.

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Other than in Scandinavia and Russia, is there any other place where soccer is popular with weather extremes like here in Colorado??

Also would they play a champions league game under theses extremes?

I grew up in Western Europe and extreme weather consisted of 25 degrees Fahrenheit. There was a winter break.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  19. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The K League (South Korea) season typically begins around March and runs to late November each year. Dotto the Chinese Super League. Also, there are leagues in Latvia and Estonia that follpw the March to November schedule. I'm sure there are Eric Wynalda clones in all those countries complaining about the fact that they're not on the "international calendar".

JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, they're educated enough to know there's no such thing, but they still claim they could win the World Cup if they played Fall-Spring.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Hudson in the press conference moments ago - Joe Mason has been signed and just waiting for the visa, etc. Enzo Martinez also signed. Still looking for another player.

COMtnGuy, zapem_10 and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez I expect to go to Charlotte as he's an international.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Not much most here couldn't have already guessed from the press conference.

• Hudson and Howard sound like they are planning on playing tomorrow night. Howard said most of the players have experienced the conditions they are expecting. Hudson made it sound as if there is a chance there will be a change (reading between his words and expression - not stated directly).

• Hudson - Doesn't want to compromise the preparation for the first MLS match in tomorrow's match. Wants to get a result tomorrow but with an eye on the future as well. Also sounds like the Rapids will play in the 3-5-2. He's coy.

• Howard called Toronto FC the most talented team in MLS history. Said they've been together for three seasons now.

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Hasn't he been in the US a long time - his wiki page states he grew up in Rock Hill SC? Perhaps he has a green card or duel citizenship.

Hudson sounded very impressed with his skills and passion.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of a writeup I found for the 2012 FSL season (he was originally drafted by FSL back then) he took an international spot. He could have gotten his green card since then of course.