2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Except it's not true. Leading scorer still on the roster for the final game, sure.

2. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    There are lol's and there are LOL's. That was LOL twice; when I first read it and then when I thought about it.

You know, it wouldn't be so funny if weren't probably true.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think Badji should be honored by the fans, at least, as Golden Boot winner. That would put the Rapids in very rare company, indeed, and be a "Most Rapids" end to a Most Rapids season.

I'm sure it has happened before, but I haven't (yet) been able to identify any other MLS team that has traded its leading scorer mid-year, with that player still leading the team at the end of the season. :unsure: Paging Jason . . .

Sports Yak repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm embarrassed by Hudson.

#HudsonOut

COMtnGuy and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does this only seem to ever apply to the Rapids, other teams can improve greatly in single window... Plus it also means most of the 13 they brought in were not the players they needed.

"I don't think people quite understand how big it is to really rebuild a team and change a team, and how long it takes and how tough it is, the restraints. It takes time and that's probably been one of the biggest things, the speed of changing things in terms of bringing in players that suit the way you want to play."

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado Rapids total points 2017-2018: 65
    LAFC total points 2018 (expansion team): 57

So somehow it takes the Rapids "a long time" to turn a team around but it takes LAFC one season to almost match our two season point total and finish 3rd in the West. I know the "explanation" for this has been that the Rapids were stuck with bad contracts while LAFC got to start with a clean slate but literally every player on this roster other than arguably Howard was signed or re-signed either with Smith advising the club on what players to sign or with Smith as GM. Any hole we were in was of their own doing.

9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Don't forget that ATL 2017 had 55 points and in 2018 had 69 points.

2017-2018 Rapids Coaches: Pablo Mastroeni, Steve Cook, Anthony Hudson

2017-2018 ATL Coach: Tata Martino
    2018 LAFC Coach: Bob Bradley

Rapids "Stars" 2017-2018: Howard. Gashi( big ? right there lately...). Aigner (lol).

ATL Stars: Almiron, Martinez, Villalba, Gressel, Barco, Nagbe
    LAFC Stars: Vela, Rossi, Moutinho, Nguyen, Diomande, Ciman (before being release to go home to Belgium)

Rapids biggest base salaries (https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/10/colorado-rapids-player-salaries-2018/):
    Howard - 2mil
    Gashi - 1.5mil
    Boli - 775k
    Tommy Smith - 600k
    Danny Wilson - 500k
    Jack Price - 400k

LAFC biggest base salaries (https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/10/lafc-player-salaries-2018/):
    Vela - 4.5mil
    Rossi - 1mil
    Diomande - 850k
    Feilhaber - 625k
    Nguyen - 500k

ATL biggest base salaries ( https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/10/atlanta-united-player-salaries-2018/ ):
    Alimron -1.9mil
    Barco - 1.4mil
    Martinez - 1.3mil
    Villalba - 660k
    Guzan - 640k
    Pirez - 650k
    Nagbe - 605k
    (Side note, Gressel who I think is one of the better wing backs in the league, is only getting paid 95k...maybe we can sign him to the Rapids since he's paid so cheaply LOL!!!!)

It's amazing what results you can get when you go out and spend money on good coaches and talented players.....You guys think Kroenke is gonna pry open the wallet a little for the Smith and Hudson Co? Ha! I crack myself up sometimes

COMtnGuy and Sports Yak repped this.
  10. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @TheWarmBurger for putting this together. My thoughts on a couple of parts of your post...

It's really getting old watching Rapids teams that can't put the ball in the net. Even in 2016 when we had a good record we were awful offensively, except when Jones,Gashi, and Doyle were on the field together, which was hardly ever. Not since the days of C&C have the Rapids passed the eye test.

As you and @JasonMa has pointed out, we're mid-table in terms of salary. The problem isn't that KSE won't spend, it's that the money that has been spent hasn't produced much. Given that we hired a new manager and bought a bunch of players, I expected that we'd be decent this season. But too many of those players delivered very little and we were back in the Wooden Spoon race for 2018.

I know it's not easy to put in a new team but other teams have done it.

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is outside of Howard, the guys we give big money too seldom meet the coaches standards for actually getting any game time let alone start. Guys who meet the coaches standards make USL talent look elite...