2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Personally, I am interested in seeing Vines with the first team. I am assuming that he is the heir apparent to Castillo at left back/wing back.

Stuart95 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet the Padraig Smith is saying we have a lot of what we need to be successful? (Can't remember the exact quote). We don't really have anybody that any other MLS team would want except for Acosta and maybe Castillo, who's nearing the end of his career.

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So when our glass is 2/11th full why are so many seeing it as 9/11ths empty? Soccer fans are so pessimistic...

fortcollins, Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, with 2 quality players, we're 2/3 of the way there, as this (safe for work) video proves!

rapidogordo repped this.
  5. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I do miss the game threads although I understand why we don't do them anymore. However, if we had one this week, this could be the one time we gloat, "Hey losers" and "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah," (using the correct pacing and inflection).

I fully expect San Jose to win (I'll go with 1-0). The Boateng goal was just like me in golf--17 lousy shots and one that falls 10 feet close to the hole. "Hey, good shot!" "No, the hole just happened to be cut out near where my ball landed."

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you this mush. He was pawsitively energetic, in dogged pursuit of the ball most of the match, furociously hounding Minnesota's attacking players, pretty much a holy terrier out there. He fits the Rapids' pug life image. He retrieved a few errant passes, proved to be decent at heeling the ball, and showed he could whippet diagonally into the box. There's some bite to his play, he's not a whiner, and sure could fill a bench role and be used in a pinscher. There were some ruff moments, but he helped the underdog Rapids fetch three pointers. He's a young pup now, and borders on success, but could be a leader of the pack if he's unleashed. Whelp, he mutt as well be so we can see howl play in the remaining matches of this melancollie season. Think of it as a lab experiment.

All in all, good first steps . . .
    [​IMG]

nowar99, SccrDon, GreatGonzo and 6 others repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So you're saying that dog will hunt?

fortcollins repped this.
  9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose will clinch the spoon with a loss or draw to the Rapids or Orlando City draw or win tomorrow.

So, essentially, San Jose is the spoon winner for 2018. Congrats to them! We couldn't even suck above average.

COMtnGuy and fortcollins repped this.
  10. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus ruining the Rapids' hopes of a "worst to first" strategy for ticket sales for next season.

Curses, foiled again.

COMtnGuy, Bridgeman and Sports Yak repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still have "Making the MLS Top 20 Teams" as a possibility, though.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  12. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the "steered clear of relegation once again" badge (maybe they could put a different colored star on the Jersey for that)?

What does San Jose get to put on their jerseys for the Wooden Spoon?

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So Sunday's game is one of those Altitude 2 deals?

14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this on the sleeve?[​IMG]

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What channel is that on Comcast again?

16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oh my god, I found it. Its 1127. Sports Overflow Colorado. I bet less people are watching this on TV in Colorado than are in the stadium in San Jose.

17. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    :whistling:

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    "Hey everybody. Just keep the faith. Don't you know that the Rapids way just needs a couple more seasons and a couple more transfer windows to work? Who cares that LAFC and ATL both found success instantly. Who cares that even though this season didn't go their way, Minnesota still played exciting football more often than not. We're not those teams. That's not the Rapids way. The Rapids way needs time to build and grow!

Remember, the Rapids way is all about playing exciting, attacking football. We're just a few key players away, and after a couple of transfer windows we're going to be a perennial winner. Plus our coach, he's got a great vision. Didn't you hear the San Jose announcers at the game? "They've got a good one in Hudson. He just needs some time."

We've got some good young players to grow and build on, with the likes of Acosta and Boateng. Boli has got some good skill too, and Howard just showed us all why he is a hall of fame goalkeeper. We're in a good place as a team, and before you know it the Rapids way will be in full throttle and we will start dominating teams on the field, playing beautiful, exciting, attacking football.

So, when will the Rapids find success? It'll be here tomorrow. And when you ask me tomorrow, it'll be here tomorrow."

^I'm pretty sure that will be an excerpt from Padraig Smiths next interview / press conference^

19. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we beat Dallas and Portland beat Vancouver, and the differential swing is >=2, as well as Seattle drawing or winning against San Jose, then Dallas would be knocked down to #5 and have to travel for the first playoff game.

Considering the history, it would be a good end to a crappy season if we fouled up Dallas' playoff chances.

20. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Paranoid Coyote, post: 37213406, member: 116063"
    Considering the history, it would be a good end to a crappy season if we fouled up Dallas' playoff chances.[/QUOTE]

On that theme, it's a shame English soccer player Christopher Crapper was born a century too early. He would have been the perfect next Rapids head coach . . .

Sports Yak repped this.
  21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Useless 2018 season trivia time. Without looking, can you name the only Rapids player to score more than one road goal this season?

Show Spoiler
    Nicki Jackson, with 3.

Totoro and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember it's all about practice time, game's don't count for this coaching staff.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can figure with some of the choices (Smith as DPotY, Price as MVP) is that they wanted a different player for each award. Since Castillo won the "player's player" award (I assume that's essentially the player's choice for MVP) somebody else had to win the other awards.

ogre1976 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agreed on this, I can't figure out another way.

At least they didn't give Howard something based only on his salary. Would be hard to argue had he won the players vote, but anything else would fee even more off.

COMtnGuy repped this.