2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    JasonMa repped this.
  2. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kip Colvey starting for the Switchbacks (Left back) vs Tulsa tonight

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard talk about this move for about a week and a half. First time I saw the full price. Its a lot to pay but Acosta is a great addition to this team. This is an all-in move though. If the Rapids juju gets him and he fizzles out its going to be overpaying. If he keeps playing like he has at the MLS and international level though, he's somebody you build the midfield around.

Overall I like the move, but its not a total slam dunk. And this is clearly a 2019 and future move. I don't believe we have a striker lined up but I don't think we care. 2018 is a write-off at this point and we'll have to muddle through with Barnes, Boli, McBean, and Gashi.

One concern is that Transfermarkt has Acosta's contract expiring at the end of the season (and he signed a new contract at the end of 2015, so a 3-year deal would be about right). So this move better include signing a new contract.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AlbertCamus, COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Tell me more about Acosta. Where does he play in MLS? I should know more about him, but I remain ignorant of other MLS teams and have mostly seen him with the national team where he's out of position.

It should not be hard to replace a guy like Badji but the fact remains he's been the only striker the last couple years with enough combo of speed, strength and tenacity to score now and again going one-on-four as Rapids strikers must. Despite his beanpole build he's a better hold up man than McPet as well.

m vann repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explains Badji’s absence last night. I know....I know....he’s “still” in Senegal.

Anyways......I love Acosta. I love his game and versatility. However, the RFO better make sure with giving up Badji this is not a half a season rental. I assume Acosta’s contract is near completion. He’s drawn and expressed interest in heading to Europe. He’s been in Oscar’s doghouse lately and one has to wonder is that’s the reason. But....then again it would be stupid of FCD trade him as opposed to transfer him abroad where FCD could cash-in. I don’t know what to think. One hand says Hell Yeah! While the other hand says whoa whoa what’s Acosta’s immediate plans and is that worth giving up Badji?

Sports Yak, Andy126 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe the Rapids are okay with signing him and selling him?

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta’s kind of played all over the place for FCD but mostly in that hybrid holding / defensive midfield spot. Many people see his future at RB. I’m not so sure of that. I think he’s limited as a 1-v-1 defender and playing that position limits his offensive quality. Internationally, he plays a similar game to his former FCD youth teammate Weston McKinnie with a slightly more attacking punch to his game. Acosta can spray the ball around the pitch with decent effect but I think he’s better partnered and playing off a #10 where he breaks up plays and becomes a link.

jayd8888, Andy126 and Totoro repped this.
  9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given its the Rapids, we will overpay and the rumors will turn out correct that all he wants is a free transfer to Europe at seasons end. Then the RFO will act very surprised that this could happen.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    He has not impressed me as a fullback with the Nats for what that's worth.

How much ground does he cover defensively as a center mid? After seeing what Jones did when healthy, or Alonso did with Seattle, or even Charra w/Portland, in this league a d-mid who covers a lot of ground can make quite a difference.

I worry though that he's in Dallas's dog house for a reason, and he'll be the latest in a long line of burned out prospects the Rapids pick up trying to see if they can get something out of a first round talent, to borrow an analogy from other sports.

11. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is the news that I wanted to speak on. Smh, poor Acosta man. Colorado is def the wrong team for him.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has me worried too but the few times I’ve seen FCD this season he’s been fine and played decently. I haven’t seen any indication of a “flame out”. I think the doghouse is because he’s been disgruntled being shifted all over the park added with a little sour taste of FCD reportedly not selling him abroad over the winter.

sambakid17 and Totoro repped this.
  13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I mentioned in the MLS N&A thread on player movement, what a horrible place (especiallly how they're playing this year) to come to try to rebuild your career. I guess at least he'll be motivated.

14. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    This is what worries me.. a trade to the Rapids is going to make him any happier? I don't like any of this. A team that needs scorers loses its only one. A team with too many midfielders adds another. A team that can't play anyone in position brings in a player who may not have been happy his previous team played him out of position. If Dallas has locker room problems, what do the Rapids have?

22SteveD, Sal Paradise and sambakid17 repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preaching to the crowd. i hear you. I am in the same boat. I like Acosta the player - very much so. But is he what we need? One would have to assume since we are giving up a striker, a "productive" one, there has to be one on the way. If not, the entire RFO needs to be fired on the spot. That would be f****** ludicrous. What's head sctratching to me is that bandji is completing his Green Card status. Again, i would assume, if a striker is signed then he's from aboard and we are right back in the hole for international slots even with Joe mason shown the exit door. . It's essentially giving FCD two players when/if Badji is traded.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone assuming a striker is coming? 2018 is gone, there's no reason to rush out and get a striker. Muddle along with Boli, Barnes.. McBean and Gashi and sign a striker for 2019 when its right.

m vann and Sports Yak repped this.
  17. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Not that I think we're getting anyone, nor do I think anything the organization says has any value, but the Rapids have used the excuse about having problems signing players since the spring/winter transfer window is mid season for most of the world before...

I have no factual data to back this up so I could be completely wrong, but it seems like summer signings do better overall in MLS; give them half a season to adjust, then be ready to go next season. Of course with the Rapids, that usually goes the other way: half a season for the player to realize they screwed up royally, and can't give a damn the next.

18. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting trade. Not so sure about the international spot, draft pick, and other considerations - if true. I gather the Rapids think Badji has peaked and Acosta still has some upside.

It is telling where we are as fans sulking about losing a striker who's not even in the league's top 20 goal scorers. He's also had some of the most head scratching moments in recent memory. Still, a fan favorite who seemed to gain some confidence this season.

Andy126, m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Sounds like it's a done deal:
    1021229195341508608 is not a valid tweet id

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press conference at noon tomorrow (after training).

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I have no opinion one way or another on this trade/move. My observations of Acosta are very limited at both the national team and FCD so I don't know what he potentially could bring to the Rapids.

Where did you get this impression? I thought the issue in the locker room was Aigner. When I watch the team on the pitch, they may not always play smart, but they also don't give up which to me looks like at lest they care.

I understand that Hudson's tactics and selections may not engender confidence in the masses that post here, but that's different from losing the locker room.

Andy126, m vann, Rod1916 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    So if Acosta is going to play a holding mid role does what does that mean for Price? Would they play as a pair of holding mids? If not where does he best fit with the Rapids?

Since neither Barnes nor Acosta take up international slots could there be more moves either now or in January for a #9.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will lose that second international slot we thought we were opening up with Badji getting his green card though, since we're trading to to Dallas with him. So we have 1 open spot (Mason's).

jayd8888 repped this.