2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    How is it watching the Switchbacks? Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of Denver to take advantage, I have the same prob. with the AAA baseball team down there or else I'd take in plenty of games. (Shorter drive to the Dick if I want to see minor league soccer.)

Dom. FC repped this.
  3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro, I'm a Rapids STM, so I typically only make 3-4 Switchbacks games per year after conflicts with Rapids games/other commitments. The games are fun with a good crowd; they usually have good giveaways as well. The Switchbacks play defensive with a lot of long balls but are entertaining (sound familiar). One of my complaints is the pitch of the stands, they give you a shallow look at the pitch (the Dick is much better for that).

I can appreciate the drive ... especially when the RenFest is going. However, Parker Road/83 takes you right to Powers and Weidner Field/Sky Sox Stadium are a block off of Powers.

I'd give it a try and see what you think.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Okay, it was a brief sample, but after his 50ish minutes last night I have to reevaluate my thoughts on the singing of Barnes. He looked highly motivated and brought something some spunk to the attack. Hope he keeps it up and continues to prove my initial reaction massively incorrect.

m vann, Andy126, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agreed. Seems like a lot of us are eating crow after the first 50 minutes. Remains to be seen if he can hold it up, but the first 50 minutes already showed more than I expected.

Sports Yak repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I know I am opening myself up to the possibility of ridicule, but Barnes impact on the match last night reminded me a bit of JJ's first match in burgundy. Note that I am saying "a bit." Barnes isn't physical like JJ, but he did cover ground and his energy was palpable. And he has ideas when the ball is at his feet that are wise. You know how we've all been jonesing for a counter-attack? He was providing it last night.

Fire away.

Oh, and wasn't "Snow Clasico 2" a blast? One of my favorite Rapids' matches ever.

kucsdat, rapidogordo and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You are not the first to draw the comparison. Again, it is very early, but he was all over the field like JJ used to do.

8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    On another note, it’s sad the Denver Post doesn’t cover the games (at least for the paper edition). Last night’s game had three paragraphs from an AP story. Last week’s away game had zero coverage; only the score was listed in tiny font with all the other MLS games. I know the Post doesn’t cover much other than the big four sports, but still...

9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a Wed/Sun subscription to the Post, hoping to see some Rapids coverage. I've not seen anything other than wire service match summaries. The Co Spgs Gazette actually covers the Switchbacks - generally an article each the day of and day after a match, plus occasional features. Was hoping for similar from the Post but am very disappointed.

Sports Yak repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Just thought I'd share an experience from the weekend.

I'll confess that I vowed not to sink any more time/money into this club until things improve and bad decisions are corrected (which may never happen). However, I also feel guilty for blocking my two kids (ages 5 and 2) from experiencing live soccer matches in a larger stadium setting simply because of my gripes with this inept club.

So, on Saturday, I rationalized the decision to take the boys to The Dick for the Houston match only if I could buy someone else's already-purchased and already-counted tickets (i.e., FlashSeats) at a VERY low price. I just thought this trade-off would be worth it to let them see the match live and let the 5-year-old watch his three favorite players this year... Price, Gashi, and Boli.

Here's the results of this decision:

1. Within 3 minutes of going onto FlashSeats mid-afternoon on Saturday, I bought a pair of primo seats in Sect. 127 behind Rapids bench... for... wait for it.... wait for it... $2.00 each. Yep, that's how far we've come under Hudson/Smith. Some of the highest quality seats at DSGP going onto the market for a lower price than a small cotton candy. This is on par with the legendary fireworks show game on July 4th not being sold out.

2. Upon arrival at The Dick, and downing a couple beverages while kicking the ball around, I saw the posted starting line-up. To my chagrin, albeit, not surprised chagrin, while Jack Price was starting (worthy choice), I saw that Gashi and Boli were still relegated to the bench. Frustration for both me and my 5-yr-old.

3. The frustration hit a crescendo in the 52nd minute when Anthony Hudson called on USL-caliber, superstar forward, Jack McBean, to replace the injured Giles Barnes... chosen ahead of both Gashi and Boli.
    [Sidenote: I think Anthony Hudson's forthcoming "Why I Lust for Jack McBean!!!" book release (in the mystery genre) will be a much hotter sell than his three other books: "Me and my Ego: Why I blacklisted Stefan Aigner", "Rusing a New Boss and Fanbase When Sunderland Calls", and the lackluster, "Club Football Coaching For Dummies... By a Dummy".

4. Although Gashi was subbed in at the 69th minute and Boli came in at the 87th minute (BAM! $2 Million for about 25 total minutes of play), we missed most of the match after that 80th minute because our 2-year-old said, "F*ck. This!" by then and we had to depart early.

5. It ended 0-0. No goals and virtually no match enjoyment. Pathetic football. But, hey, at least the kids could watch Hudson's sh*tshow on full display for its own entertainment value (in strong competition with the Cartoon Network).

COMtnGuy, kucsdat, fortcollins and 6 others repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you were behind the bench I hope you took the opportunity to let Hudson know what you (and we all) thought of the McBean sub. :D

kucsdat, fortcollins, Sports Yak and 2 others repped this.
  14. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Ha! Yea. Trust me, because I had two young, impressionable minds at my side, and because I am not familiar with the concept of calm, tactful heckling, I ended up in the emergency room for a severed tongue after biting through it so many times during the match. The majority of the self-severing occurred in the 52nd minute when Hudson signaled down the sideline for McBean to get his jersey on for subbing.

Totoro, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I hope so.

16. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Have there been any injury updates on Barnes?

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    From footage on Fox he was in Russia at some point, so travel to CO from CA shouldn't be a deal breaker + turf w/ living roots.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Salt Lake v Colorado Rapids
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Baldomero Toledo
    AR1: Felisha Mariscal
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Marcos Deoliveira
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi

19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke may be suspended from coaching RSL in this match as a result of his post-match comments following the Minnesota-RSL game. (FWIW, Petke was right about the officiating in that match.)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1019569677218050050 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got this in my e-mail:

[​IMG]

Rapids play Tulsa F.C. in Memphis on 9.01 (area code of Memphis).

We'll see if they are up to the challenge of a USL team.

I placed my season ticket deposit when USL Memphis first announced, so will be there in full gear and throat.

jayd8888 repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    JasonMa repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fortcollins, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came across this checking out some soccer stuff. Guess I need to watch the game highlights but hats off to Petke getting his money's worth.

1018605216164384773 is not a valid tweet id

Sports Yak and Rod1916 repped this.