2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really fair to Mix, in my view. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Dom. FC repped this.
  2. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can I just rep this 100 times? I tried and it just gives you 1 rep. :)

fortcollins, Maarten van 242 and Andy126 repped this.
  3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I'm not sure you can get Mix and Freddy both on the pitch at the same time in a 9 - 0 - 1 formation?

Agree. For some reason Mrs. Dom. FC (not her real name) agrees x2, I think he reminds her of how our son played.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  4. Droogie

Droogie Member

Sep 26, 2014
    I think it is going to take three or four windows to get everything we want and everything in place,” Rapids general manager Padraig Smith said days before the window opened. “That’s normal with as many changes as we’ve made. We’re really looking to change the culture and the way we play. I think it’s going to be important that we continue to put the right pieces in place.”

Then why do so many other teams seem to be able to show a quick turnaround year over year? They need 3-4 transfer windows??? There are VERY few leagues around the world where you get this luxury without relegation. How does something like 14 roster changes not get you what you need to show clear progress.

Chicago in 2016 went 7-17-10 and then turned it around to 16-11-7 and made the playoffs. In 2013 DC United went from 3-24-7 to 17-9-8 in 2014. Sure these clubs haven't had sustained success, but a major turnaround can happen in just a season. We shouldn't accept change like a glacier at this point. The Rapids need a forest fire.

At the tail-end of the extended loosing streak a Rapids Ticket rep managed to catch me on the phone about two weeks ago. Over the course of almost ten minutes I matter-of-factly broke down a number of notable issues that are always talked about in this forum. I can see Dick's from my house and told him that it is absurd that they can hardly get me up there for a game unless I'm picking up a deeply discounted last-minute ticket of of Flash Seats. I was polite the whole time and at the end of it he said he totally understand my frustration and where I'm coming from. He didn't even try telling me about any offers or promotions. He ended with just give him call if I needed anything. It felt good to let someone in a Rapids capacity know how I felt about things. I felt bad for him because the mess isn't his fault and he has a pretty tough job with how things are going right now.

22SteveD, kucsdat, COMtnGuy and 4 others repped this.
  5. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not to mention that it only took a couple transfer windows to turn a team that was second in the league in points and semifinal playoff participants into Wooden Spoon contenders.

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know, that's because gravity helped us go down the table......

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    World cup winding down so I played catch up last night, and watched the last three games on speed-through on the DVR. The funniest part was the Monteall game, we clearly give the ball away so quickly from a goal kick that the cameras don't catch it. Balboa and what's-his-name are hoping to get an extended replay, but they never get it. Not even at half time. They are so funny, always trying to find an upside, pretending games are still important. And Balboa still does all his "you gotta" stuff. I'd love to do a skit of those two commenting on the sinking of the titanic. Optimism and boring calm on a sinking ship, plus Balboa's "you gotta's"

Unfortunately my system deleted the win and tie back in June, so I watched the last 3 losses (mostly the goals). My take away? Howard's distribution is questionable. The guy who went back to England is largely un-noticed. And Price's capacity for stupid yellows is a problem.

There is a game this weekend? I'll start a thread.

fortcollins, JasonMa and Dom. FC repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman is jumping on the "international schedule" bandwagon on Twitter due to the announcement of the 2022 WC dates, with predictable responses from the pro/rel crowd and those of us who live in colder climates. He should have been at our CCL match before suggesting that.

9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Love summer MLS games.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty much the all-important question. It's either:

A) This group of players is terrible, and the coach can only do so much.

or

B) The coach is terrible, and it doesn't really matter who is on the roster.

At this point you could really argue either way. Smith's words and actions seem to indicate he is leaning towards B. However, all of that says nothing about Smith's own judgement, which may ultimately be a root cause of A and/or B.

22SteveD, kucsdat, COMtnGuy and 5 others repped this.
  11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #861 Quinn 33, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    It took only one actually. Winter 16/17.

We never signed striker despite obviously needing one, Jones left and they never bothered to look for a replacement, Pablo insisted on signing a third-rate defensive talent in da Fonte, and we traded away two core players in exchange for a couple of overpriced mercenaries.

Looking back, that was probably the worst transfer window this club has ever had, and it'd be really tough to top it.

12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been hit in the head too many times.

fortcollins repped this.
  13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I assume this affects water at DGSP? Lots of people pack water bottles and fill them up at drinking fountains in the stadium:

and

D.Post

Finally:

14. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

That list leaves off that Nicholson is an international (unless he got his green card sometime after the trade).

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #866 JasonMa, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    so 1 open International spot

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    On paper, the Barnes signing is a waste. Good news is that it’s only for 6 months.

Can’t wait to hear the PR on this signing from the Rapids

JasonMa repped this.
  19. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    why is it a bad signing? I've seen plenty of previous so called bad reputation players come to my English team (Wigan) who have gone on to do really well. Lets just wait and see a couple of games

20. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    The Barnes/Rapids marriage appears to be a match made in heaven. A player with rapidly diminishing value who is desperate for a career life-line is signed by a club with rapidly diminishing value that is desperate for any assemblance of improvement.

How exciting.

Sal Paradise, unkiemark, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does Barnes' signing seem familiar....

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2018/07/rapids-sign-barnes.html

2017: M Stefan Aigner - 5 starts, 9 appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist
    2016: M Sebastien Le Toux - 8 starts, 11 appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist
    2015: D Sean St. Ledger - 12 starts, 12 appearances, 0 goals, 2 assists
    2014: D Zat Knight - 3 starts, 4 appearances
    2013: F Gabriel Torres - 5 starts, 7 appearances, 3 goals, 1 assist
    2012: F Edu - 3 starts, 9 appearances

Totoro, fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This is why:
    • He hasn't been scoring goals in recent years. And had only three appearances for Leon.

• He's 29 years old, so he's most likely not going to improve compared to where he's been recent seasons.

• Most people that post here regularly are cynical, jaded, etc., about anything the Rapids front office does.

23. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To which I'll add:
    • Smith couldn't find a diamond in a jewelry store.
    • Hudson couldn't coach a cat out of a bag with a bucket of catnip.

Andy126 repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well believe it or not, San Jose has found a way to have a worse coaching situation. From what I can tell happened tonight.

Coach makes sub in the 40th minute
    Team comes out of halftime and lines up
    Coach subs off the player he subbed on in the 40th minute before 2nd half kickoff
    Player stares down Coach as he comes off and gets into heated discussion on sideline with Coach
    Coach and team second sub was due to player being injured
    When asked why an injured player came out of the locker room to warm up and line up for 2nd half Coach says he asked player to do that to give sub more time to warm up
    No comment from the player yet tonight

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Zlatan didn't travel to Foxboro due to "turf and long travel." Will he come to Colorado?