2018 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 15, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Well, to quote the late Mel Allen, "How 'bout that?!".
    (particularly referring to his ass-slapping bump 'n grind moves with a stripper)

Interestingly, and I may be wrong, but it sure looks like Tommy Smith in the background near the bar on a couple of the clips... and maybe even Deklan Wynne in one of the clips?

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy and Stuart95 repped this.
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I enjoyed watching Toronto last night in the CONCACAF semi-final, looking forward to seeing them here in person in Colorado. They'll be a big test.

Stuart95 and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...league-final-after-1-1-draw-with-club-america

Andy126, rapidogordo, Soaker888 and 3 others repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's a bummer. I'd like to see their best in person. Oh well.

7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I would like to see a Rapids win even if it is due to a weakened Toronto team.

jimijam28, Andy126, jayd8888 and 6 others repped this.
  8. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Agree. While it would be nice to see the full complement of TFC stars strutting their stuff at DSGP on Saturday (and being a big test for the Pids), I'd still prefer 3 pts. and some momentum against a weakened TFC club... keeping in mind that 5-6 of OUR true starting caliber players are also either partially or fully out for this match (Aigner, Gashi, Hairston, Ford, Wilson, and perhaps Boli). It's not like it'll be a full-strength Rapids team taking on a weakened TFC team. We're substantially weakened as well. And some would argue that we're weakened even when we're full strength! ;-)

jimijam28, Andy126, MrPerfectNot and 5 others repped this.
  9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were a better team, I don't think Toronto would have the same attitude going into Saturday.

The reality still is that nobody else in the league takes the Rapids seriously because we're a meme team that chokes away points. We (deservedly tbh) are still perceived as bottom-table cannon fodder.

Toronto may not be trotting out their best lineup, but I doubt they're expecting to lose.

Andy126 repped this.
  10. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Eh - I wouldn't call their CCL games against the Rapids "blowouts". A 2-0 loss followed by a 0-0 tie at BMO field means TFC is aware the Rapids aren't complete pushovers.

That said, I hope they take us for granted and put in complete rookies. I'll take the 3 points however we can get them.

11. mjoe

mjoe New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Concerning Howard in the club, seems like he was anxious to get out of his chair and join in the fun. Just the opposite of his staying glued to his line and watching the game tying goal (and so many other goals lately) loop over his head.

12. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I've come to this conclusion on Howard. He's similar to Badji, in that he's excellent on quick reaction saves, but he freezes when he has time to think about it. I don't believe he was always that way, though he has always been a better react keeper then a mental one.

13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I dropped in on the stats around our likelihood to make the playoffs. it is very early in the season, so not a ton of relevance just yet. Having said that, The Rapids currently are solidly in the playoff hunt.

As most of us would peg making the playoffs as a solid season (as we build to greater success in the future), the numbers show we aren't too far off. Particularly given the number of our top players who just haven't been playing much.

For reference: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html

Note: this weekend's game against Toronto has a pretty big impact on the numbers. A win helps a ton while a loss brings us down quite a bit.

rod.

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Andy126 repped this.
  15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Rapids have the good fortune of playing TFC this weekend, who will be resting everybody for next Tuesday's CCL final.

16. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuses excuses....

and they haven't even played yet.

17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Andy126 repped this.
  18. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Oddly for how our season has 'felt' with our repeated late game point dumps, and seeing Toronto breaking new ground in the CCL -- we're 8th out of 12 teams in the West and they're 10th out of 11 teams in the East. Unless personnel that we have but haven't seen get added for this match it will basically be TFC's 'B' team vs. Colorado's 'B+' team?

19. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Dilly, dilly!

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And, crucially, the goals against T&T in world cup qualifying.

21. Shakes McQueen

Apr 29, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think most prognosticators and TFC fans understand why the team is off to a 1-2-0 start in the league, what with the CCL and the need to rest starters. Everyone knows the CCL is their sole focus at the moment.

Case in point: TFC sent a bunch of their starters home to Toronto, while the rest of the team went to Colorado. I hope we can still pick up points, but won't be shocked if we don't. Vanney isn't going to jeopardize the CCL final for three league points in early April.

Not excuses or anything - just the realities of the schedule.

jayd8888 repped this.
  22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wonder if this CCL format will be tweaked after this year. Having the finalists play four straight midweeks probably isn't making anyone very happy.

Soaker888 repped this.
  23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're giving us too much credit. We have a long history of losing games we're supposed to win on paper.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention losing games we're supposed to lose on paper too :D

Andy126, fortcollins, Sports Yak and 3 others repped this.
  25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Aigner - After not making the 18 for the Toronto match and the anecdote from JasonMa on what happened at practice last week I am wondering if his time in Commerce City is limited?

"Heard at the game from somebody who was at practice on Tuesday that Aigner didn't finish practice with the team, essentially being told that if he wasn't going to go 100% he didn't need to finish and Aigner then deciding not to finish."

Another piece of evidence is his reaction to Badji's third goal v the Union. He looked to be the only player near Badji who didn't go over to celebrate/congratulate. Rather he walked back to midfield with a dejected demeanor. It struck me as really being odd.

Seems like a similar situation to that of Shane O"Neill who purportedly was feeling entitled and thus didn't feel like he needed to earn his starting spot. Of course he ended up getting transferred out.