2018 RSL News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Feb 28, 2018.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2nd Mouse repped this.
  2. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DesNews: Picking up the pieces won't be easy, after getting thrashed by LAFC. This image might go better in the "Caption This" thread:
    [​IMG]

Thrashed is a rough word, but hard to argue that it's the wrong one here.

That's a sad face on Petke too. Pictures like this led to the "Sad Keanu" meme:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To his credit, he owned all of it.

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s a tear away from the Parisians watching the Wermacht marching down the Champs Elysee in 1940.

I think “thrashed” isn’t strong enough to describe what I saw. It made me imagine what a USOC game might look like where Grantsville Town is playing Atlanta FC and AFC has their starting strikers on the pitch.

PumaJohnny and BalanceUT repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a large part of this that gets ignored is that Acosta didn't just win the spot - he took it after Phillips got injured. Once Phillips regained his health, the club was in a groove and the chances of change were much lower than they typically would be. He finished out the season in a spot that maybe he wasn't 100% the choice of but more of a "don't mess with it right now" situation.

From there Danny got some attention nationally (because our LB pool is so damn shallow that almost anyone that plays the spot is considered a potential option) and some people jump on the chance to push the kid along. In some ways, the call up likely hurt Danny. He misses the first part of preseason while a healthy Phillips reminded Petke why the spot was his in the first place. Sure, Danny was playing at a higher level, but he came into Petke's preseason having to show right away that he was superior to Philips.

I still believe Acosta is the better player for the spot, but it's not such a huge gap that I can fault Petke for starting Phillips instead. Though, after last games performance, you would think chances are as good as when Phillips got hurt for Acosta to make a move on the spot.

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You put it all into the correct perspective. From the article it appears that Petke feels Acosta didn’t dedicate himself during the off-season, and also seems to have earned himself a trip to the doghouse because of attitude.

I’m not sure the last game points to trying out Acosta instead of Phillips. Yes Phillips was in a bit over his head, but I can’t imagine Acosta would have been better. As a matter of fact the entire defensive side except Rimando looked to be in over their heads.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh for sure, the entire team played awful in the LAFC game. But that doesn't mean all get a pass. I point out Phillips especially because he got beat on the same run/play over and over again.

7. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and El-ahrairah repped this.
  10. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RoyalNonesuch, Todorojo, JZK316 and 5 others repped this.
  11. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RoyalNonesuch, Allez RSL and trackrunner repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty fun:

[​IMG]

13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oouuaahh!!! Conchons Americains!!!! Va te faire voir chez les Romains si j'y suis!!! Bachi-bouzouks!! Troglodytes!! Vercingetorix de carnaval!! Marins d'eau-douce!!! Je vais te donner deux claques de cow-boy sur tes bobines de phoques!!!

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole stream of questions down to get to choosing between FCD and NER was AWESOME!

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like half of the thing is about them, and its wonderful.
    I would say our name gets made fun of more like weekly now

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I find myself wondering how I would respond if Dear Leader went all Kansas City on us and changed the name of the club.
    I am so used to RSL now, that I don't think about it much. I do have a hard time defending it when others make fun of it. The best defense I've got is that Checketts had grand aspirations to have a close relationship with Madrid that just didn't pan out.

So how would I feel? Relief? Excitement? Disappointed because all my RSL stuff is now obsolete? Jaded, because it's obviously a marketing and merchandising ploy? I just don't know.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with how much money DLH has pumped into the RSL brand, a name change would have to keep the same acronym and color scheme. So... you would do a rename literally just to change the name. That seems like a massive waste.

18. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree it's extremely unlikely. Just wondering how I'd feel about it if it ever happened.

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he picked a name that actually won a name competition *cough* Utah Highlanders *cough*, I would be good with that.

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlanders was always a dumb name, IMO. RSL Would not have been my first choice, but I'd choose it over Highlanders every time.

RSLer, TheBiff, goobx1 and 2 others repped this.
  21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might have been dumb, but given all the grief that Real Salt Lake gets, it's probably better.

And besides, Real Salt Lake sounds like one of those European poseur names like DC United, FC Dallas, Sporting KC, NYCFC, Atlanta FC, Minnesota United FC, Houston Dynamo, etc., that screams "wannabe". At least with Highlanders, fans could come to games with blue and white painted faces, wearing kilts and swinging foam claymores around their heads and not look like total idiots.

22. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    He says ironically...

Lizzie Bee, rslfanboy, RSLer and 7 others repped this.
  23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you can't wear a kilt currently? Nothing is stopping you.

I don't see how something is poseur if its a pretty universal naming system for clubs throughout the world. I think most people upset about it are the ones that think we need to give them names like other American teams. It's always going to be a personal preference for people. I grew up with FC/City/United so MLS 1.0 names always felt weird to me. That and a fair amount were pretty cheesy anyway.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I regret this

Allez RSL, Todorojo and goobx1 repped this.