2018 RSL News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    #501 rslfanboy, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    I think Olave got the wrong end of the stick because the league hadn't really seen anything like him before, and they tended to give him reds where most others would have seen yellow.

Waston, and maybe Blas Perez too, are in the Olave realm as well. Waston can go to hell.

Also, Pablo's yellow per game is slightly higher than Kyle's. The usual suspects are up there, Chara with an impressive ratio.

Aside: who was this Ivan McKinley fellow?

RSLer repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're past 1 July, which is the Contract Guarantee Date for MLS as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. And thus, if Pool Boy and Yura (now there's a dynamic duo if there ever was one) were to be moved off the books, it would have been done. Perhaps we're waiting to simultaneously announce an acquisition when the new transfer window opens on 10 July, but I want the news sooner than later if you please.

I don't expect a move for Yura of course. But Pool Boy? You bet. We'd almost certainly have to waive either one:

"Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. A club may waive a Semi-Guaranteed Player at any time during the regular season until 48 hours prior to the Contract Guarantee Date. A club may waive a Guaranteed or Semi-Guaranteed Player after the Contract Guarantee Date only with League approval. Clubs may not waive a player between the Roster Freeze Date and MLS Cup.

Semi-Guaranteed Players waived on or after the Contract Guarantee Date of any League Year and Guaranteed Players waived anytime, and who clear waivers (i.e., not picked up by another club), will continue to have their Salary Budget Charge count against the Club Salary Budget. The club waiving the player will not receive a replacement player."

Yura is a Guaranteed Player I believe, but Pool Boy better not be.

3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  4. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Our home and Away results are currently perfectly mirrored.
    7-1-1 at home
    1-7-1 away

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  5. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Re: Pool boy. This article mentions that there is interest in Spain but he's out of their price range. We apparently gave him a huge raise to entice him to leave Spain, so it sounds like he's not willing to take a pay cut to leave.

So it looks like we have 2.5 more years of short-term loans until his contract expires? Yura's is still signed through next season too.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** Craig Waibel

RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm guessing that that just might be the reason "negotiations" haven't started between Craig and the team to renew his contract.

"So Buddy, find a way to ditch lets say, I don't know, about $3 million in salary you pinned me down with and we can start negotiating. Until then I'll let you know when I feel like talking about a contract renewal."

Signed, Dear Leader

If I was Dell Loy i would be for finding a replacement. I think the league is beginning to outpace some of the home grown coaching and office talent rather quickly. It is a much more sophisticated league today than when RSL joined in 2005 and has only accelerated in pace of sophistication every year since. Almost exponentially.

Who could foresee a time when teams building $70-80+ million dollar training centers and academies would become ho-hum?

MLS seems to be jumping from MLS 3.0 to MLS 6.0 and I don't think Craig, not for lack of effort, is the guy you need. I could be wrong. I was certainly high on Yura's return, not $2 mil a year for 10 years or whatever he got excited but still.

There has to be someone with the experience and talents that RSL is looking for from across the pond, or South of the border that would jump at a chance to guide a team with the ambition of RSL and Dear Leader into the future.

July 10 can't come soon enough for me.

Todorojo repped this.
  8. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Speaking of the transfer window, an underrated bad move from the FO was to completely fill our roster in preseason. We were the only team in MLS that had 30/30 spots filled when the season started. So we can't sign anyone unless we move somebody off the roster first.

So I'm not expecting much from the transfer window. We can't move anyone that nobody else wants. Maybe we can loan Ortuno or transfer Luis Silva, but I doubt we'd create enough space for a big impact signing. The exception is probably Rusnak, who we could sell now, but then we'd just have to fill the gaping hole that he'd leave.

I think the squad we have now is basically our squad for the year. I'd expect maybe 1-2 moves.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we can open a spot, like you said, there isn't going to be much cap room. How could there be?

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m on the cusp of again referring to Petke as Petkov, as the moniker has been earned the past 2 games.

11. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CrazyJ628 and rslfanboy repped this.
  12. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? I mean, it's hard to even classify him as a soccer player right now.

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle on what we need at the transfer window:

"Nobody’s done a better job of getting answers from within than RSL, who started five Homegrown Players and brought in a sixth off the bench on Saturday night in their 2-0 win over Dallas. When you build high-level producers like that, you don’t have to go crazy when the transfer window opens.

So right now they don’t need a ton, especially since they also get roster answers via their USL team (Nick Besler, in particular, has filled in well at two spots). The overall structure and culture of the franchise means they’re in a good spot to sit tight here unless a can’t-miss prospect falls into their laps."

PumaJohnny repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Yeah..... NO!

#9.

DrownedElf, RSLer and TheBiff repped this.
  15. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'd be looking for a Goalkeeper as well.
    Hopefully at least a backup for the rest of the year is possible with how tied up the roster is

PumaJohnny repped this.
  16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Re-reading this rule, (thank you @Ismitje) puts the Yura deal right up there with the permanent international roster trades we made under Ellinger/Pastorino. This deal is really holding the club back.

Also, Yura's agent kicked ass here. So sad to know that our organization was such an easy mark. Yura would have been stupid not to sign after the paper was handed to him. UUgggghhhhhhh.....

RSLer repped this.
  17. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... did we beat that German team or... ?

18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yes. Well morally we did. 1-1 draw with Eintracht Fartfurst scoring late in stoppage time.

Relatively entertaining game. The scrubs did pretty good and really got under their skin. Rather chippy game with RSL having much of the better play. The Germans did have their opportunities but only capitalized on the final one.

Totally worth the 10 bucks.

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, as a male model and Instagram Influencer. What is an Instagram Influencer? Someone who doesn't have a real job and CONSTANTLY posts photos on Instagram. Our times version of "Look at me, mommy!"

20. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo repped this.
  22. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Well here's a bit of good news for the Rapids. The proven best medicine for struggling teams this year has been this: playing RSL. We've been doling out our fair share of confidence boosters this year, it'll be interesting to see if Colorado can snatch some as well.

BalanceUT repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Putna (who hadn't even played much in goal for the Monarchs) is signed to the first team to back up Rimando. Incomplete stats on the USL homepage say Sparrow played 7 games for the Monarchs this season, Jake Leeker 7, and Putna 2. He played four games last year for them.

Also, as part of this David Horst has been moved to the season-long injury list, thus opening up a roster spot. Guess this means Pool Boy is still ours.

How long is Sparrow out, anyway? Certainly we needed somebody. Here's where a blog or podcast from people who really follow the ins and outs of the RSL organization would be useful, because I am terribly positioned to compare Leeker and Putna, and anything I read on most outlets will just focus on how great this is for our system. And while the latter is certainly true, I'd love some additional insight.

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just you watch Putna is like the North Korea third goal keeper, he also is an amazing striker

Ismitje repped this.