2018 RSL News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Feb 28, 2018.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods - Feel free to move this somewhere else, as needed.

A couple of juicy morsels in the news today:

RSL is ranked 6th in the MLS Preseason Power Rankings. From the rankings: "The voting panel could not find consensus on RSL's prospects, with votes ranging from No. 3 to No. 14. But the general opinion is that Mike Petke's group is going to be much better overall in 2018." It's so early to tell, but do you agree with the rankings? If not, do you see us as #3, #14, or somewhere in between?

CBS Atlanta puts us at #7 and uses Star Wars metaphors. It's hard to argue with anyone who wants to compare your team to both Liam Neeson and a double-bladed lightsaber. ;)

RSLer, BalanceUT, Todorojo and 1 other person repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the Atlanta piece is fun, it's filled with (at least for RSL) really poor research. It states we lost Taylor Booth (never had him outside the academy) and that we might add Duenas (that has all been killed off pretty well). It also lacks mention of our two best players (Rusnak and Savarino) while focusing our youth side on Lennon and Glad.

But most frustrating of all, it calls us ********ing Darth Maul when everyone knows we're much more like Rey. Young, inexperienced, but wielding insane talent. These are the star wars references you are looking for.

RSLer, PumaJohnny, stucknutah and 6 others repped this.
  3. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agreed on the Star Wars reference being a little off. I could have even bought that we are Jin as we are impatiently waiting for the forcefield to open so we can get back to fighting...

The article is dated Jan 30, back when Duenas was still a possibility. I had to check the date after reading the article as it seemed to have outdated information.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the ******** ranked RSL as 14th in the MLS Power Rankings?

Allez RSL and Todorojo repped this.
  5. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    As long as we're not porgs or that alien milk cow creature from Luke's island, it's all good.

The Franchise and PumaJohnny repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    porg's are cute af, don't you dare speak badly of them
    but the milk, yeah, that was some gross ass shit

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone with very little knowledge?

It would seem weird to rank us so low since we were pretty hot at the end of the season. We didn't lose anyone of importance, and added more players that in theory should make us a better team. 6th might seem kind of low, but also might be realistic if some of the young players have a 2nd year slump, and the new players don't pan out. I don't think it will turn out that way, but it's definitely possible.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm weird, but that bit cracked me up. One of the highlights of the film for me.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was funny as well. I read a lot of posts after TFA that questioned how Luke lived on the island. We got our answer. Cool.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care who rated us what. I want to win points every match and win the cup.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

rslfanboy, RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and 3 others repped this.
  12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? We are talking about Star Wars when the season is almost upon us? Star Wars talk is for the dead of January, not three days before the first game of the season.

And anyway, the only character that RSL compares to is Darth Vader just because.

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Darth Vader was always the guy in 2nd place? :ROFLMAO:

Todorojo and Taragui repped this.
  14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, when he threw Palpatine over the side, he became Number 1 thru the time tested way of bumping off the guy in front of you, if only for a brief moment, but I see your point.

Anyway, I always thought that it was strange that Palpatine couldn't just use the force to save himself from going over the side, but that would have probably ruined the idea that good triumphs in the end and made the story end on a low note with the Evil Empire crushing the rebellion. But, on a brighter note, that would have meant no more sequels and no Jar Jar Binks, so it wouldn't be all bad.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Na, at the point he threw him over he redeemed himself and became a Jedi again, 2nd behind Luke.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  16. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The only two "force floaters" are Leia and Mary Poppins.

17. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst is not as kind, listing us at #11 as a "Tier IV: Dark Horse", saying a lot of our success will depend on Glad and Ortuno staying healthy.

[​IMG]

Of interest, these are the following listings:
    • Tier 1: Come at the King - Toronto
    • Tier 2: Top Contenders - Seattle, NYCFC, and Atlanta
    • Tier 3: Playoff Race (and Maybe More) - Dallas, Portland, Columbus, SKC, Orlando
    • Other Tier 4 - NYRB

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who wants to be the guy that tells him that Jar Jar Binks is from the prequels and the ending of episode 6 would have had no impact on those being made

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a fair analysis of the team. There are a lot of things we're assuming will continue to be good that honestly could very well not be. I believe in Rusnak and Savarino, but the levels they played at last year were incredibly high and a slight drop wouldn't be out of the question.

It is interesting to me that Doyle put Phillips at LB while also putting Henley at RB, Kreilach in the middle, and Ortuno up top. Feels like a weird mix of projected lineup in a few months and expected lineup now.

20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh, but having the series end on a downer would have maybe discouraged Lucas from going down that road again. You already know what happens at the end of the series, ergo, why waste the money doing prequels? To try to understand Darth Vader's motivations?

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PumaJohnny repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're talking George Lucas here, man. He was making those prequels even if Darth Vader turned out to be an asshole who killed a bunch of little kids.... oh, he did do that?

23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. No one knows what goes on in the head of George Lucas, we can only imagine given the content of the films (Jar Jar Binks, midiclorians, Ewoks, Hayden Christensen/Natalie Portman love story, etc.) that has come from the mind of George Lucas.

25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States