2018 Roster Changes - In Season

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 28, 2018.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Manotas has scored 9 goals in 16 games. That is a clip that just about every team and their fans should be happy with for a non-DP.

2. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Wenger still injured? I would hope he is ahead of Lundqvist at the RB position.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Yeah one subtle thing in terms of recent form is when he got hurt. He goes out and Lundkvist cannot play that side and we're basically back looking like no one can play defense. I mean, at this point I'd like to see them start Lundkvist at least one game at his correct position to know whether we should just do a mutual tear up now, send him back, and see if the league will let us spend the money again.

I will say with a muscle pull that's a risky thing, when to come back.

One player they seem to have forgotten about is Garcia. He filled in at CB and I thought looked good for 2 games, then poof, disappeared. Somewhat along the lines you're talking, to me, who cares who has what contract, what the coach thought would work, put the people playing decent out there. I think Garcia is a joke wide but he and Fuenmayor were ok together.

I mean, one thing that doesn't seem to get through their thick skulls is if we figure out less expensive players are reliable enough, you then test the trade market on Senderos, Leonardo, Beasley, Machado. Which then might get you more money to tweak the team further. "Going back to the well" reflex is an anvil behind this team.

FWIW Senderos and Beasley ain't going nowhere even if they will doom this defense. As ruthless as they are being at forward right now, they will Wile E. Coyote right off the cliff relying on name brand backs. It took weeks to try Fuenmayor.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Be curious if people think that Quioto's green card suggests a degree of commitment to MLS/ Houston. Puttering around on a visa feels like "keeping my options open." Elis for example. But why get permanent residency if next thing you're off to Mexico or Europe. You have to maintain a degree of residence, and it's a stepping stone to outright citizenship.

It's an interesting comparison because with the headlines when the season started you'd see Elis as the focal Dynamo guy and Quioto as the malcontent. But you could argue that's backwards in terms of long term ambition.

5. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernando Adi is available for trade.... just saying

6. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a super solid DM and a Machado replacement mainly.

*rey* repped this.
  7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He's already gone, that's why last night was his last match with Portland.

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yup, I would add we also need a GK, a LB, a RB, a CAM, a #9, a RM, a LM, some energy guys off the bench, a jersey sponsor, some scouts, a GM, a TD, a DP, better customer service, and cheaper concessions. Did I forget anything?

NDS10, naranjableeder, MLSNHTOWN and 6 others repped this.
  9. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to login just to rep this!!!

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An owner with a pulse, money, a willingness to invest said money and the brains to know how or how to hire the right person to invest for them.

You also forgot everything about the Academy.

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thank you sir

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #137 juvechelsea, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    A color commentator who doesn't play favorites, and thinks more things the other team does are fouls or cards, and resists the urge to point out our misbehavior for the review board and/or acts like anything we do that could vaguely be a foul or card must in fact be one.

I mean, is the league getting our feed for review? Or to watch for VAR? With Eddie complaining that Martinez red should have been a card, when I thought it was maybe barely a foul? Or him downplaying fouls on us? I don't want a homer but I want someone who sounds like they are watching the same game, and who if you reviewed it after you wouldn't be questioning what you saw, and who sounds like he is rooting for us. I may vent on here but when the game is going if we don't get a call, that's b___s_____. You'd think our own announcers would be roughly in that ballpark to get hired. Milo was objective but you never doubted who he was pulling for.

[FWIW: objective means you can admit that "player x is struggling." Or "star player y looks tired." Or "this team looks like the coach has lost them." Say what you see. I might want to hear "the organization expects for player z to......" but too much and you sound like Cannetti is calling the game.]

They were never "homers" but they used to both be organization men who seemed to echo team mantra on certain players. But Glenn Davis to me during the Wilderness Years evolved into something more tolerable, a fan of the team but questioning. Eddie still feels like an academy coach who's cranky at our players for perceived mistakes, and in line with organization-think. A perfectionist blaming us first. To me I want someone more in the trenches with the team.

It's all kind of rich considering how he used to play.....

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Side point: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Notice we blame Jordan now more than Cannetti?

*rey* repped this.
  14. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats the status of Pena and when he will be sitting on the bench for most of the season, because WB isn't ready to bring him in even though this week is the first week we've had more than a couple days off....

Get him in and get him blooded!

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only cause, for me anywho, it is easier to get rid of Matt than Chris.

16. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Because Quioto has never shown himself to be 90 minute match fit (unlike Elis) keeps his value much lower than what it could be.

No one wants to play good money for a player who has never shown the basic required stamina for a 90 minute game.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Quioto and Elis are cut from the same cloth and view this year as their last in Houston and will try to force some overseas move.

Quioto going back to late last year has been somewhat inconsistent - some games he’s great, others he’s angry, or mysteriously sick in the playoffs. I don’t see him as lazy but maybe not that easy to manage.

After this year I’d expect a lot of guys to look for the exit door on the Dynamo if they have true options in other leagues

*rey* repped this.
  19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    They need to move forward on what we euphemistically would describe as "what they need to do with the HC/GM," and then you sort out Elis and Quioto accordingly. If you have a brain you fire the coach and GM now (or at least no later than USOC) as opposed to later so you can clear them out and hire someone else fast. You can then proceed on the offseason full bore with new GM and HC in place, instead of waiting to December or January to finish that part, and only then being ready to shop.

We instead seem to be heading down the 2016 road where the coach got to finish the season, and then a USSF worthy saga followed of deliberation on the new hires, taking months. And all that has to get sorted before anything serious is done with the team on the field. If Jordan is gone I don't want him touching the team again.

To me when that (delay) happens it's hard to do an enthusiastic offseason because there may be no GM, if there is one they don't have a coach to acquire for, and everything gets stuck behind hiring staff.

And then they need to sit down with the HC and determine fit to style. I say this in part because it comes across like Elis and Quioto do something very specific in a 433 -- and not much else -- and if that's not the new direction clear them out for a fee. Our 433 seems played out, they get the gimmick and know how to stop it. If we go back to a 442 or something else, then how do these pieces even fit. Quioto and Elis don't seem to like playing defense, I don't know if they can be traditional mids, or back to goal forwards.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera and Jordan had their contracts extended thru 2020 back in March. Brener does not seem like the kind of guy who will fire someone then pay them not to work - which means barring a real bad 2019 I think both of them are here for a while

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #146 juvechelsea, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    In terms of ppg stats the current team is worse than every season but 2016, and unlike that season the trend line has not bent back positive as the season progressed.

It would be so like this franchise to throw away 7 figures on tickets -- ie, people not renewing and staying away -- to save 6 figures on an employee salary buyout. They make enough to fade a buyout in 1 or 2 home games. And that's using their obnoxious pay-your-way logic as opposed to "I want to own a competitive team." Or "I admit my mistakes," ie, Torres.

LA is above us in the standings and has parted their ways already.

And I'll be blunt: last year I quit watching the Texans live when they made no effort to secure a reasonable Watson replacement. I knew what Savage meant and felt like Watson's wins underlined the difference between trying and not. I felt like there were FA options they refused. Underlining what I said about pinching pennies and costing pounds, I will stop watching the Dynamo live if I get the idea they are just marking time for a season or two to save a buck. My definition of not trying would include selling the forwards, not securing worthwhile replacements, and leaving leadership in place. That team would literally finish last.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I mean I am looking at MLS' guesses on who LAG might hire, which arguably overlook Berhalter. Kinnear, Schelotto, Sarachan, Henry, Porter. And then like, you're saying, sit tight for a year or two, the buy out is too much for accounting. We spend that buyout on individual player loan or transfer fees.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Among the things making me cranky is today was the roster freeze deadline. No trades, no firings, and the transfer players for the summer are a forward that's a back to goal guy who doesn't fit the system, and a complete bust left back.

I get the public display of how we're going to the final. But on paper we haven't won a regular game since early July.

Where is the accountability?

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here is today’s news from the Dynamo:

1) no final roster changes - I had to chuckle at Lester Gretsch’s tweet below, like there was something newsworthy about a virtually eliminated team making a roster move.

Although this would be an opportunity to try and dump a guy to a contender, but the Dynamo have few players they would trade who other teams want

http://mobile.twitter.com/LesterDeportes/status/1040615419361542144

2) apparently they will have Chick-Fil-A at BBVA Compass Stadium now:

http://www.bbvacompassstadium.com/n...a-joins-bbva-compass-stadium-concessions-menu

nbrooks503 repped this.
  25. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States