2018 Revolution Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Feb 26, 2018.

?

How many points for the Revs in 2018?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2018.
  1. <30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 31-35

7.7%
  3. 36-40

15.4%
  4. 41-45

41.0%
  5. 46-50

28.2%
  6. 51-55

5.1%
  7. 56-60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 60+

2.6%
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's your chance to guess-timate where you think this team will wind up for the 2018 season. Always fun to look back at this thread as the season progresses.

Voting is set to close on Saturday.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll take a shot.
    13 wins, 8 draws, 13 losses. 47 points.

If we're lucky, maybe 6th place, and if we do make the playoffs, one and done.

3. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a tough time coming up with 10 wins for this team. We didn't improve from last year's team. The players we "lost" were replaced with similar players; while the rest of the league looks like they are trying to keep up with Atlanta and Toronto.

So my prediction: 10 wins, 14 losses, 10 draws - 40 points.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope the Revs are like the Bruins and Celtics; where the coach has a young team playing over their heads. I doubt it, but there's always hope before the season starts!

NateP repped this.
  4. davidRN

davidRN Member

Oct 19, 2012
    N Central Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went with 46 -50 points, not because the team is any different, but a "New Coach Rebound" effect. I have been reading this forum more often than in past seasons, waiting for ANY news on Lee.

5. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I am optimistic. They addressed their biggest need (left back) although not defensive midfield or right back (or not enough anyway) but I think Friedel will get a lot more out of the players than Heaps did. Playing Aguedelo up top, Rowe and Diego centrally, etc.

51 pts which gets them an away play off game (NYRB, maybe) which they win on a late goal from a previously out of favor Lee Nguyen.

They move on to face Toronto, which does not go well

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    49 Points. Slight improvement over last year.

7. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Optimistic.

What does that feel like?

:whistling:

;)

8. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    same general wish-cast/prediction as last year -

1 win and 1 tie better than last year. 12W-12L-10T

46 points.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KOOLAID!!! Voted 60+ (ok thats tongue planted firmly in cheek). Predicting a cup win, most likely USOC not MLS Cup. But I think the revs will surprise people this year.

10. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Five Thirty Eight is not as optimistic as I, predicting 43 points and only a 39% chance on making the playoffs. Only ahead of Orlando and DC in the East

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Orlando will shoot up in their predictions real soon. I believe their model is based on games played from past seasons. The fact that Orlando massively upgraded their squad isn't reflected in their predictions.

12. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the voters, me included, expect the Revs to do about the same as last year.

Is that acceptable though? If Brad Friedel does only as well as Jay Heaps, do we give him a pass because it's his first year or should we expect more? Especially since some would argue that the team has the personnel to do better and just needed a coaching change. I would include myself in that group.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'd be quite disappointed if they don't do at least somewhat better this year, but, regardless, Friedel deserves some time to implement his plans - and that could take several seasons, though I don't expect that he's planning to to tear it down to rebuild it.

This season a few new parts are being plugged into a fairly set roster/lineup. It would be natural to expect that the roster and playing style will evolve over the next couple of years, as players that the coach favors/doesn't favor get swapped around and he attempts to build to his vision.

All that said, he'd have to shoot someone to not get at least 3 years at the helm. This is an organization that believes in stability.

14. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I don't think this is correct because LAFC is in the middle of the pack and LA Galaxy are toward the top despite their dumpster fire of a season last year.

I do agree that Orlando seems underrated given the moves they made

15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good catch. They use Transfermarkt values in between-league comparisons. I wonder if they do that with offseason arrivals as well.

16. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I went with 46-50. Last four years were: 45, 42, 50, 55. But I do believe one Jermaine Jones had some impact on those two 50 point seasons.

So...we get a slight bump, but not much.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised at the optimism here. I think they will be taking one step back in order to take two steps forward. They will start slow, especially if the situation with Lee drags out.

RevFan and A Casual Fan repped this.
  18. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 12 games against our fellow bottom feeders; 6 home and 6 away. We will not win all of these games; especially the road games. Conversely, we won't lose every game against the better teams. But now you know why I had a tough time coming up with 10 wins.

19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    You know, I'm not much of an optimist when it comes to the Revs, but I am also not too concerned with Lee's situation. I think Brad has been around that stuff enough to make sure it doesn't impact the team (I almost said infect, but I think impact is more appropriate.) I for one don't see losing Lee as a big deal. Yes, it might hurt, but I don't see it hurting that much. The team will need to figure out at what point does the pain of having him here outweigh the pain of not getting much for him in return.

20. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming they'll end up similar to last year. Back line still scares me, as does the keeper. Add to that the uncertainty with Nguyen and I'm not to optimistic. The big question mark is how Brad does as coach. Maybe that will bump us up a few points? Overall talent isn't noticeably improved, so that's the best I can hope for.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll go with 14-12-8 - an even 50.

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went 41-45. I see the Revs contending for the playoffs, but falling short. So, typical Revs. In terms of playoffs, I think Toronto, NYCFC, NYRB, Atlanta, Colulmbus, are sure. For the 6th, I just don't see us beating out Orlando....
    Burnsville, here we come.

23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rev's are still trapped inside of the Kraft veal cage. I say they punch above their weight for a bit -due to Friedel's apparent intensity, but that will get them only so far. They will get more draws than last year as he'll manage to stanch the bleeding by getting more defensive but scoring will still be a problem. I say they barely make the playoffs and bow out in the first round. We'll slink away again in October/November feeling frustrated that they just won't go out and get the pedigree we need for an improving league. #krapathy #bottomlinerules

24. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very close to my thinking as well, though I was slightly more pessimistic:
    10 wins, 7 draws, 17 losses - 37 points

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    47 for me ... defense will be a sieve in quite a few games. Injuries will happen, and we won't have the depth to handle it.