2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Just a scary thought but Imagine if RBA becomes a fortress? In 2 CCL and 2 MLS games this year we are 4-0 and have scored 12 goals and conceded 1.

2. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some sense, RBA is a fortress. I believe we have the best Home record in MLS since it opened. I would instead ask imagine if our home crowds were better, how much harder it would be on opposing teams to come here.
    Another game with backups contributing. I’m excited actually for the second half of the season when our starters will actually play together. And don’t forget these early games are are really helping with the goal differential stat. Could be an important tiebreaker down the line.

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Good point. I remember during their first SSS season, the team gave up very few points at home, and generally outscored opponents by a couple of goals. But that was also when the Olave-Holgerson pairing pretty much stopped opponents from getting anything into the box, similar to what is happening now. Parker and Long pretty much cut out long balls and high crosses, which is the majority of what MLS teams use to create scoring opportunities.

What I dream about is 25K people thundering out, "RED!" in unison during the national anthem. It would surely shake opponents to their cores. The Arena is so well contained that sound is amplified, with a capacity crowd of ardent supporters, it would be deafening for opponents.

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    After last night's performance, I am going to enjoy watching Tyler Adams in a Red Bull uniform for as long as it lasts. It might be summer, or it may be the rest of the season, but he's going to be snatched up very soon. It's a World Cup year, so the Euro clubs tend to be a little more reticent about moves until after the tournament. OTOH, with the USA not in the WC, he may be one of the early pick-ups, perhaps even to one of the other RB clubs, Leipzig or Salzburg.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's extremely frustrating that we can't hold on to the top talent guys for longer. But that's across all sports now. Long gone are the days when many players played their entire career in 1 uniform (or even 2!).

Miazga had a very good game as well. Would have loved to have seen him next to Long...or Ream for that matter. Oh well.

I still very VERY much enjoy watching our other academy and USL guys thrive. Nothing makes me happier than seeing guys like Lade, Long, Muyl, Davis, Duncan, Etienne, Valot, Bezecourt, etc. get better with every passing year. With the way MLS is set up these guys are so vital to our success it's stupid. Even apart from that there's nothing better than going to the stadium and cheering for one of the local guys when they make a play. It's a great feeling.

wrench repped this.
  6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agreed. While it may have taken the team a bit of adjustment time to account for how to press without Adams in the lineup, they did figured it out eventually. I would expect the team to reshape and adjust with his departure, but it seems inevitable that it will happen.

7. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Ugh. Duncan tore his ACL against Orlando. Not sure why he tried to play on when we still had one sub.
    https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/post/2018/04/03/injury-update-kyle-duncan

Such a shame, his confidence on the ball has been great to see. With Murillo World Cup bound we'll need someone else to step up. I imagine Lade becomes the RB backup now?

I've had two ACL tears myself so it always makes me wince when I hear about a pro suffering one. Get well soon Kyle!

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Damn sad news, he was really progressing.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Has anyone noticed how competitive our B side was against RSL and OC? To me this is a result of having a Top 3 academy and D2 side. There were a last gasp goal and a questionable pen away from tying 2 first teams. This bodes well for our USOC run and hopefully the tail end of the season as injuries mount.

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Not too many injuries, please:eek:

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, that was better, but far from perfect. BWP was a real thorn in the side to the Impact D, but he didn't get enough support from his teammates for too much of the game. Kaku had an emphatic first goal ever for the club. And the defense showed some real sloppiness. The central midfield needs to do a better job screening in front of the D, Vargas kept dropping into a hole between Parker/Long and Davis/Adams. Also, Adams has to learn to read the play better, anticipating where the outlet pass is going to be made, and not just stand and ball watch. Parker is proving to be an inconsistent passer, so being available in better positions will help provide an easier outlet. Robles was outstanding on some critical saves, but gave up a free-kick goal. This game should have been easily a 4-0 rout, but it could easily have turned into a 3-2 or 3-3 nail-biter.

I still see a lot of promise in this team, but they've got to clean things up, play a little tighter, and learn how to control the flow of the game better.

kokoplus10 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The jerseys and names change but this is the same old RBNY. Shaky and will fall apart at the most crucial and inopportune time.

Sorry I still bitter about the CCL.

Woodrow repped this.
  13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Baby steps. It's probably going to look like the same old, same old until right before it actually happens.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Red Sox fan I can tell you with that this is 110% true.

15. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where were all the fans Saturday? Sunny, beautiful weather... not a work day...

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah well I am a Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers fan. The Rangers did it at a time when I could enjoy it, the Mets I was still a pup. I don't think the Knicks will do it in my life time nor the Jets. I also don't think RBNY will do it because once again something stupid will happen like not be able to score from 20 shots on goal or some nonsense.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The attendance was 15,017, which is 29% lower than last year's average of 21,175. Even with good weather, it's still April.

18. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand that...
    1) That did not look like 15k on the TV to me (looked less than that)
    2) There must be 100,000+ soccer fans in the NJ/Manhattan area. For some it's a simple PATH ride from the city. For most it's a simple car ride with no bridge tolls (talking about NJ residents). How can we NOT have close to a sold out stadium??
    Especially on a beautiful day?

Are tickets too expensive? We've been around for 22 years! How much longer does a team need to exist to develop a loyal fan base??

Even on a cold Weds night NYCFC was able to announce a 18,500+ in attendance...

I just expect better from this NY (predominantly NJ) fan base...

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fair enough, I'm just not going to get too wound up one way or the other. It's hard not to want NYRB to humiliate Toronto or City, but ultimately they have to win a lot of games, and it's almost never been about just one team or another. My gut tells me this team still has a ways to go, but there is a lot of talent on this team, so no reason they can't have another great season, even if they don't win it all.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny enough that is NOT one of the littany of reasons. Off the top of my head:

It’s too hard to get to.
    It’s too hard to leave.
    Sports market over saturated.
    Bathroom lines too long.
    Concession lines too long.
    Concessions are terrible.
    Entry to stadium too long.
    Concourses too crowded.
    No world class stars.
    No marketing.
    MLS sucks.
    Eurosnobs.
    They don’t win anything.
    I’d rather watch from the comfort of my home on my ultra HD TV.

And of course...a long time ago they told the taco truck to go away. And it never came back.

Woodrow repped this.
  21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Maybe just because it's a rainy day today, but I take solace in the metrics of how many young, domestic players the Red Bulls employ, especially when compared to a team like Chicago. Old, foreign players get hurt, unhappy, and cost a lot. And some of them won't shut up about going to the World Cup.

ASN MLS Minutes Matrix: Week 7

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah but we los tto Chicago because again we create 20-25 shots but can't get enough of them to go in.

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    One thing experience teaches you is it's not about the number of shots, it's about controlling the game. If you do that well enough, the chances will come. But my point is the Red Bulls play like a young team, always pushing upfield as quickly as possible, looking to attack and create chances. Even with their pressing style, they can play the ball with more deliberation and care. Teams are still able to turn chances around and run it the other way. Far from dictating tempo, this team at times stretches itself out and creates openings for opponents to exploit.

24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The LA match is going to be an interesting test for this team's defense. I hope Parker & Long are up for it, because Ibrahimovic is that rarest of big guys, great with the ball at his feet. They'll have to stay focused and move their feet. It should be fun.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering one of the Yankees or Mets is normally at home, I wonder if today is the first day the Yankees, Mets, and Red Bulls (including when they were the MetroStars) all play on the west coast.