2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will it end this year?

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    In tears, as usual? But seriously, with both Atlanta and TFC losing badly yesterday, I'm going to say the prognosticators really don't know anything.

What I do know is that both Davis and Adams will all have to step it up this year. They are the veterans of the central midfield. Additions like Kaku and Rzatkowski will certainly be key as well. But the backline should be better, BWP looks like he's still up to the task, our wingers are very good, and even Rivas looks useful as a late game, hard-charging sub up top.

But no predictions. Assuming the team doesn't up and sell Adams in the summer [knock on wood], this is a playoff caliber team, and considering how little the regular season matters, I'd have to say they've got a good 4-5 months to gel.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible for me to tell until I see how Parker fits with them. On paper it’s good, but CB pairings don’t always work out for whatever reason. Need to see a few games first.

IF he’s the real deal though and IF we stay relatively healthy...well I don’t want to say it cause I don’t want to jinx it, but I feel really really RIDICULOUSLY good.

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Indeed, there are a lot of "ifs," but that's the way it is with lots of teams. It looks like Atlanta is mainly going to try outscoring opponents and hope Guzan can hold down the fort. For NYRB, they have addressed their two main areas of need, improving central defense, adding a quality playmaker. Honestly, my biggest concern is that certain key vets stay healthy and in form. With the early load of CCL games, the MLS season may once again get off to a rough start. The extra games should be good to sort out chemistry for the starters and gave some of the subs like Etienne a chance to shine.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries will be our main concern.

Also VERY excited about Etienne this year.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think it all depends on the CCL. If we do well there it might knock onto MLS. I always believed we needed to win the CCL or USOC before we get the confidence to win the league. We have better depth than we use to, we just need to stay healthy and rotate. I hope Etienne or Rivas or even Bono can prove to be capable understudies for BWP, we have to manage his workload.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What will our starting line up look tomorrow

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It was a chilly night at the Arena, but was very much warmed by the team's performance. The starting line-up was pretty solid, and showed flashes of pizazz, including Ben Mines flashing run at the far post to put the good guys up 1-0. It's hard to believe that probably half the starters would be expected to mostly play on Red Bulls II this season, they looked really good against a veteran MLS side.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Saw the highlights and the kids looked great. We will have a whole new outfield team on Tuesday with no travel and a chance to move on to the CCL semis.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is a fast start for a notoriously slow starting team.

Marsch may have hit something by adding you g players who don't care about history. Long season but most positive start in a long time. This is CCLand .MlS combined.

Also the Felipe trade seems to me on be bad based on early returns Looks like we do have loads of midfield depth

11. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really the team we’ll see most of the season but great to get the youngsters minutes. Impressed by them.
    Portland is in for a long year but props to TA for the numbers they brought last night.

12. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Even without his goal, I thought Mines was fantastic. No fear on the dribble. Had never heard of him prior. Love the early confidence from this team.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Few people have, its hard to believe he hasn't been in the YNT picture, but despite his stellar play on RBII and in the Academy he seems largely unknown.

14. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Somewhat related to season thread, sorry if sightly off topic, but this is the first season since RBA opened that I haven't been a season ticket holder. I'm away almost every weekend, so didn't make financial sense for me as literally there are only 2 matches I know I can go to (Wednesdays). My plans changed this past weekend last minute so I checked ticketmaster on my way to the match and they had $18 and $20 tickets available. I figured I'd go to the ticket windows at stadium and save myself the ticketmaster blood money fees. But there, I was told they only have $35 ones left. Checked my phone, and still plenty of $20 sections available. Bought online +$5 fee.

Such a scam! I'll just buy from secondary markets in future.

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It may be the lanky white kid aspect but all I saw (based on limited highlights) was Eddie Haven MK 2.

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Sorry to hear, it seems common now across all sports.

17. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    miggly - give stubhub a try next time, sometimes its as low as 10-15 for a seat.

18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Bulls lose away to RSL, 1-0.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Heard it was a weird game. Hey guys, I only got Fire TV, so if the game isn't on Fox or ESPN, how do I watch it?

20. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    MSG Go app works for any Spectrum cable customers. Figured that out for last 15 mins of match. Weather looked miserable. Stupid PK to give up 4 minutes in on a poor free kick.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That is brilliant because I still use my mom's optimum to get my apps.

22. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    another great showing by a B+ Red Bulls team. Most enjoyable win with a Zlatanesque goal by BWP. Check the highlight reel. Parker/Long solid. Muyl with a stunner. Valot a little quiet but, his midfield buddies took control. I may trek from Suffolk county to a game or two. Oh, and Robles...ageless.

miggly repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Parker and Long are becoming the CB combo of shrewd soccer operations benchmark. One brought in via trade of a quality player made expendable through smart acquisitions and young player development and the other the product of good scouting, player development and the Development side, managed well through introduction and development by the head coach.

24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Love the Long-Parker duo, both cover a lot of ground and control the middle on headers, with Long a little better technically, but Parker more of a no-nonsense defender, both have their virtues. The team had a rough start, with Lade and the central midfield especially struggling early. I'll give Minnesota credit, they are lightning quick, especially on the counter, keeping the ball on the ground and moving with speed. They should be a lot more successful this season. NY were a bit lucky not to give up at least one goal, the one shot off the crossbar, exhibit A. The D doesn't give up as many easy chances, but when they do break it tends be a big one, but Robles has so far handled those well. Once the midfield got some better shape, and started pressing, they controlled the game, and everybody took their chances well. Muyl looked a lot sharper last night, if he keeps this up it will be much harder for someone like Etienne to supplant him.

I'm still wondering why Kaku wasn't even on the roster, let alone on the field against the Loons.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MSG2 called it an injury precaution.

Woodrow repped this.