2018 Presidential Elections | September 8th

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Jul 4, 2018.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I hope so too. Classy message from Benedito conceding the win, and also saying he will fully support him and any ideas. I think the other candidates also agreed to do the same.

Lots of people on Forum SCP going bananas. Only time will tell what will happen. I must admit I'm not a fan of how Varandas communicates. He's pretty quiet, but he did have a lot of support (including the players).

Of course, JJ also threw his support for Varandas - watch JJ come back next year.

2. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Hate that rule. It doesnt make any sense. You should have to be a socio for a year and after that all votes should count as one.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  4. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Problem is with a bit of financial backing you could easily sign up dummy voters in preparation for a vote in 12 months time.

It's a lose lose situation either way though, since I agree that lots of older people generally vote in a more conservative manner, or don't have the same long term (since long term doesn't matter as much) goals as the majority of voters.

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The rule you have to be a socio for at least a year is already in place. As for the seniority thing, its something thats been in place forever and at other clubs too. A way to reward you for being a paying socio for 20+ years uninterrupted.

Seems clear that the young voters were with benedito. Maybe if the other candidates dropped out there votes could have changed things - for example, Dias Ferreira and benedito agreed on many things and I thought he might throw his support behind benedito late on.

In the end, Benedito had the most amount of people voting for him - I think sooner or later he will be president. His concession speech was really humble, saying Varandas is his president and he won't be an opposing force. But we will see how things are a year from now.

As for Varandas, he does know what is going on in the club better than most because he was there just a couple of months ago. When he quit really quickly after the attack and announced he's running even before there was an election and bdc was still in power, that early candidacy won the election.

I just wonder if now that he is president, he will reveal more of what was really going on behind the scenes. He's also clearly a favourite of the players - hopefully that doesnt mean the players will think they can step on him when it comes to contract negotiations and stuff. I'm also a bit concerned with his apparent lack of charisma and oratory skills. Seems to swallow a lot of his words when he speaks and gives me a "deer in the headlights" vibe. Doesn't mean he can't effectively run a club however.

6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Do wait. Godinho Lopes is this dude's Financial Advisor?

Oh boy....

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I saw that on ForumSCP, not sure if thats true or not. I didn't see anything official.

8. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We are ********ed if true.

9. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I could almost bet my life that he'll return. Unless Porto craps the bed and he goes there.

10. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If true, He won't last long.

11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Doubt JJ will return. Finances are a mess right now, no chance we could afford him.

dipluso repped this.
  12. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't think the Finances are as nearly as bad as made out to be. Don't forget, there's still the Patricio, Gelson, Leao, Pondence cases to deal with and could potentially net a lot of money.

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I don't see how, the guy was expelled as a socio, unless its behind the scenes. But he wasn't at the ceremony today where he officially took over.
    Indeed. And if you look at our rivals they have more debt than we have. Its just they keep getting into CL and get more income than we do too. We need to change that.

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Debt isnt an issue if you have steady income. We dont. Odds are we wont make thr CL this year too and on top of that, really only Bruno Fernandes is worth a decent chunk of change. Maaaybe Raphinha and Jovane by thr end of the year too.

The rescinded players are too much of an incognito to rely on imo. Id love to hear Varandas give an update on that.

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He had a close relationship with all of them. Of course he's president now and they are no longer our players, plus there is a lot of other factors involved. But I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to reach a settlement with the clubs over a transfer fee.