2018 Presidential Elections | September 8th

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Jul 4, 2018.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He was one of the heads of BES (Banco Espirito Santo) for a time - eventually when BES went bankrupt, he was one of those blamed for the bankruptcy (now they are known as Novo Banco).

SCP21 repped this.
  2. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great points. I agree with Varandas. The more I heard him speak, the more I think he's clueless. If Godinho is truly behind him, I really think this will be his downfall. Sportingistas haven't forgotten how he left SCP and its state.

I agree with your points on Dias Ferreira. He can be a bit hot headed. I don't think he'd make a bad president. Need some sandpaper as long as he could control his emotions. A lot of IF's though, so I understand your concerns.

Maybe Ricciardi would make a great president. Something about him rubs me the wrong way, but that's just my opinion.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Ricciardi gives me mafia boss vibes. But hey, so does LFV and PDC.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    A Bola did a poll along with Intercampus. Polling 615 club members, the results seem to point to a clear advantage for Varandas and Benedito - personally I'm a bit skeptical, Ricciardi I think has much more votes:

1 .º Frederico Varandas, 35.4 %

2.º João Benedito, 28.4 %

3.º José Maria Ricciardi, 5.3 %

4.º Dias Ferreira, 2.8 %

5.º Pedro Madeira Rodrigues, 1.3 %

6.º Fernando Tavares Pereira, 0.9 %

7.º Rui Jorge Rego, 0.3 %

[​IMG]

5. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    John Terry as a way to support a presidential bid? What a joke. Hate the guy as it is but is there a player more over the hill?

JoseEmidio, SCP21 and SCP_16 repped this.
  6. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He was still excellent last year, but he was on 100k per week at Aston Villa and isn’t worth the outlay

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Well it won't matter.

Pedro Madeira Rodrigues announced he is throwing his support behind Jose Maria Ricciardi's bid to be president.

This comes after a second polling (picture below) puts Benedito and Varandas in a virtual tie, way ahead of the rest of the competition.

It's rumoured that other fringe candidates like Tavares Pereira and Rui Rego will throw their support behind one of the other candidates, possibly Ricciardi. I wouldn't be surprised if on Saturday's election there are only 3 or 4 candidates (Benedito, Varandas, Ricciardi, possibly Dias Ferreira).

Varandas recently had some problems with one of his board members having to resign after some controversial audio was leaked on the internet. It may affect his vote.

Benedito seems to be the one to gain the most strength - he's young but the former futsal captain seems to have some good ideas, basing his model off of Bayern Munich's style of leadership (hence the recent visit to Bayern's facilities).

[​IMG]

8. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Any updates on Godinho being behind Varandas campaign? He was my preffered candidate at the beginning, but he's starting to seem shadier and shadier every day.

Didn't expect PMR to finish dead last in the poll tbh.

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    PMR shot himself in the foot when he started saying he would replace the coach right away.

Nothing more about that Godinho rumour. It was something that was said to attack him during one of the debates by Ricciardi. The thing with Varandas is he hasn't really presented any ideas.

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    His obsession with Bayern is a little odd tbh. Their success isnt down to some great management strategy, its cause they have more money than every team in Germany combined. I mean, they consistently buy players directly from their biggest rival..

JoseEmidio and AlexJones19 repped this.
  12. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Bayern has a reputation of having a well run club, never spending more than what they receive, etc... yet they are considered a top 3 club with Barca and Real.

I think also the similarities stems from the fact Benedito's team is made up of ex-athletes and winners like Bayern.

JoseEmidio and SCP21 repped this.
  13. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    PMR is a looser. He will never be president of SCP!!!

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I feel like Benedito has got this in the bag. Varandas really capitalized on the whole BdC fiasco but now that the dust is settling he looks less prepared every day. Benedito is for sure a risky option, but he seems level headed (which will be refreshing) and willing to learn.

Also, interesting news coming out. BdC's one saving grace was supposed to be that he fixed the finances. Turns out he did a pretty shit job of that too. Worst. President. Ever.

dipluso repped this.
  15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The big day has finally arrived. The 43rd president of SCP will be voted on today. I admit this day felt like it would never come. Hopefully this signals a new era of peace at the club, and also a winning mentality.

At this time almost 10,000 socios have voted, and it's expected that it will be a record number of participants. Even Bas Dost cast his vote!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

natenate101 repped this.
  16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Voting has terminated. Jaime Marta Soares, outgoing president of the general assembly, announced a total of 22,500 people cast their vote, smashing the previous record set in 2017 of over 18,000 who voted in majority for BdC to be re-elected.

17. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Carrico came back to lisbon to vote as well. What a beauty.

AlexJones19 and natenate101 repped this.
  18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    There was hope this result would be known by now, but as usual results will be known later...

19. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    I'm just excited about getting back to soccer.... Hate all this political BS stuff that revolves aroud soccer....

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Share your feelings, hopefully after tonight things can settle down a bit.

nelly29 repped this.
  21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Votes are being recounted. Seems to be because the differences at the top are very small.

It was Varandas and Benedito for most of the night, but now Ricciardi is rumoured to have surged in 3rd place and could be making things more complicated.

22. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Gotta feeling whoever loses is gonna make a huge fuss about it... probably gonna keep hearing about it for awhile

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    CMTV saying Frederico Varandas is the 43rd president of Sporting Clube de Portugal.

EDIT: Benedito already conceding and congratulating. Varandas with 43.6% of the vote.

24. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Good luck to him, hes got a ton of work ahead of him. Would be great if he could last more than a couple years. I hope none rumors about sketchy people behind him are true.

Hopefully Ricciardi doesnt get bitter about the loss and pull support too. That would be a pretty big loss.

25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Benedito had roughly 1000 more people that voted for him, however Varandas had more votes (sócios with more years have a higher number of votes).

https://imgur.com/a/k9hWeQJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]