2018 Presidential Elections | September 8th

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Jul 4, 2018.

1. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    oh wow. unreal!!

BDC just needs to go away. Take the time to reflect on things and if you think you're up for it, submit your candidacy in 4 years and let people decide. Until then, just leave SCP in peace. God knows we need it.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The suspension may actually benefit him. If things don't go well the next couple of years he could use that to his advantage.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Rui Jorge Rego (46 year old lawyer) also announced his intention to run today... I'll just wait until August 8th to see who officially is a candidate or not.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    BDC replaced himself with another person to circumvent the suspension. Erik Kurgy (never heard of him)

5. Davido40SCP

Davido40SCP Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont know about yall but this article is very telling about the finances of Sporting. Something tells me we will not see spending like we saw under BdC again...BdC relying heavily on credit and being ballsy with investments..unfortunately it looks like we will be going down the path of mediocrity again...this makes the antics of BdC more frustrating

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-lig...-situacao-financeira-do-sporting-9696860.html

dipluso repped this.
  6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yes I saw that. A lot of the money was anticipated, like a couple of years worth of TV rights deal money with NOS.

Today is the deadline to submit official candidacy for president. Now there is a 2 day period where the MAG and Disciplinary Board will review each candidate to see if they qualify.

Most notably the 'Plan B' candidacy for BdC where another person (Erik Kurgy) was selected to run as president in order to circumvent his 1 year suspension by the club. Carlos Vieira (BdC's former #2) announced he would not run after his 1 year suspension by the club.

So far the 8 candidates that submitted their bids are:

Frederico Varandas
    Joao Benedito
    Jose Maria Ricciardi
    Dias Ferreira
    Pedro Madeira Rodrigues
    Rui Jorge Rego
    Fernando Tavares Pereira
    Erik Kurgy

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    BdC's final attempt to get his candidacy failed, his bid was rejected.

OndaVerde repped this.
  8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    A court allegedly ruled in BdC's favour and annulled the assembly that removed him as president. BdC is at Alvalade today with court decision in hand to reclaim his presidency of SCP.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL

Oh man. R.I.P. Sporting. It's over.

10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently the police determined the documents were false and kicked him out of the building LMAO

SCP21 repped this.
  11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We're never going to have peace.

The guy is in constant denial. Anytime he doesn't get his way, its a conspiracy.

I've seen some people say he should just be allowed to run in the election and if he loses, then he will quiet down. But lets be real, even in that scenario he would just contest the decision, say that the result was rigged, etc...

12. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It won't be BDC either. Whomever wins the election, others will always be there criticizing.

I honestly think he has some mental issues. I'm saying this in all sincerity. He needs to get checked out.

dipluso repped this.
  13. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    100% he needs to sit down with a psychiatrist.

Isn't he a lawyer? Theres no chance anyone is hiring him now. How is the guy not broke yet?

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Why don't the Interim Board go to court and get a restraining order or something? If he tries to enter the club again, arrest him.

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    If anyone is interested, the first debate on Sporting TV is on right now with the 7 candidates.

nelly29 repped this.
  16. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Did BDC bust in during the middle of the debate wearing a Mexican wrestling mask and start drop kicking the other candidates?
    I would laugh but after all that has happened I give this about a 25% chance of really occurring :D

dipluso, heavy1981, SCP21 and 2 others repped this.
  17. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    lmao. I wish I knew how to use photoshop.

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    No but he did post on his facebook about them. :D

Watched the debate, man its a circus with so many candidates. Clearly there are a few that have no business being there. Rui Jorge Rego, Tavares Pereira, Dias Ferreira. Varandas was a disappointment, Ricciardi spent most time attacking Varandas. Clearly Ricciardi sees Varandas as his biggest threat. Benedito had some good things to say but I'm concerned he's too green.

19. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What made Varandas a disappointment?

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He was asked about his ideas for football but spent the whole time attacking Benedito's platform and didn't actually say anything about his own.

Also Ricciardi at one point said that Godinho Lopes was behind Varandas candidacy and he didn't deny it...

21. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yikes thats massive if true

OndaVerde repped this.
  22. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    To be fair, most of the candidates didn't say much about their platform either. It was more about bashing each other. Still, from the way I saw the debate unfold, Ricciardi, Varandas and Benedito - one of them will be SCP president (unless BdC kick drops everyone and takes over).

23. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Dias Ferreira will be up there and very close. Wouldn't be surprised if he actually wins.

After hearing Varandas speak, i'm more and more convinced he's not the guy.

Personally, Dias Ferreira would be my pick. Knows the business, knows the culture, knows the BS. Has always defended SCP in public.

Where were all these guys 5 years ago when Godinho left this club broke and on the verge of bankruptcy ?

24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Most of them threw their support behind BdC. Ricciardi, Dias Ferreira, etc... supported him up until about the time things started going downhill with BdC.

As for Dias Ferreira, have to disagree with you buddy (based on what I've seen). In the debate he showed to have a short fuse and quickly starts arguments with everyone. Not someone we need right now personally.

I think the leading candidates right now are Ricciardi, Varandas and Benedito. The others might either drop out, throw their support behind one of these 3 or stick it out but get marginal results.

Ricciardi - Definitely the most experienced in terms of running a company. Gets attacked for his banking past but has connections with potential investors. One thing I found important: he assumed he wasn't an "expert" in football but said that isn't his job; that we shouldn't make the mistakes in the past of hiring presidents that think they are coaches. His job will be to hire (and fire) the people that are the experts. If I had to compare him to somebody, I'd probably say he's more like a Florentino Perez.

Varandas - Initially the leading candidate, I think he has lost some traction to Ricciardi due to rumours that certain ex-presidents are supporting him (Godinho Lopes). But I think he will still end up fighting it out with Ricciardi to the end.

Benedito - I really like his ideas - he wants to bring in a team of ex-winners to take charge of football, and instill a winning culture with them. Uses Bayern Munich as an example of what he wants to bring, and feels also that this will unify the supporters to see some of their old idols running the club. My problem with him is he's only 39, and seems a bit too green (i.e. he doesn't attack anybody, and in Portugal you sort of need to be a little cynical unfortunately to get anywhere).

heavy1981 repped this.
  25. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Honestly love thay Ricciardi admitted he doesnt know soccer and its not his job to know soccer. I think we need someone like that now.

Is he getting attacked for a history of sketchy banking practicrs or literally just because he was a banker?