2018 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 23, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well most of their players could be considered young. I'm guessing you mean the 16-20 year olds and I agree that Cannon and Pomykal should see substantial minutes while Ferreira and Reynolds start to get token minutes at least. I'm not expecting the two new CB's to get many minutes.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    For me I'd like to see one of the younger midfielders grab playing time so Dallas can sell one of Gruezo, Ulloa, or Acosta. Hayes, Pomykal, Servenia, Lema, someone.

What I'd really love to see is Pomykal break out at #10 so Diaz either plays better or moves on.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Acosta and Gruezo hope so too but apparently no one is very interested in purchasing them at the moment. I hope that Oscar and the team learned a lot about how to handle so many different things going on at the same time and use it to their advantage this year. Make runs in CCL, US Open Cup and MLS. Use all the players. Don't play them because they're better if they're tired etc.

TCS35 repped this.
  5. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Rufiolo and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a new friendly (h/t to 3rd Degree):

7. Rufiolo

Rufiolo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The blue socks have potential! (although I like the white shorts even if it was an accident, I do not like all red) I hope they do more than just the plain red shirt with colored sleeves. It looks like a practice jersey (very similar to one they have had in the past).

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, my initial thought was "that looks like a practice jersey" too but I'll hold judgement until we see the real thing. I love Liverpool but I'm happy we (seemingly) ditched the all red look.

Funny, I had never heard that the white shorts were an accident but it sounds comically fitting for this club.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It appears, despite speculation last season, that Maxi will be around in 2018 and beyond. His lady came back to Texas (did she ever leave or was that also speculation?) and had their child. He's happy and ready to kick ass...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/so...er-rocky-offseasonmaxi-urruti-might-long-haul

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exciting!

Easton FC, El Chico Carmona and TxEx repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Pegasus, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz and or our own BigSoccer Hitman (3rd Degree/DMN) with a couple of nice articles on the scrimmage Saturday against the University of Tulsa. Quick read and to pique your interest is that only very young and hopeful players involved and they liked Pomykol, Servania and Amer Sasivarevic who's a left back triallist from Grand Canyon U and taught by one Schellas Hyndman there. Glad someone was able to go and right it up as I was on beer drinking duty and missed it.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2018/...t-preseason-session-yet-wednesday-comes-close

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Amer Sasivaveric is a Superdraft pick.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I didn't pay attention to those picked on the second day. I guess I thought they had zero chance.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No one is talking about it on here but we tied 1-1 with a 4th division team yesterday and it doesn't give me warm fuzzies about how this season will go.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too early to be worried about a score. I missed the match and since it was on youtube figured I could watch later. Somehow Chattanooga has tons of other games on their website but not this one. I guess FCD also didn't archive it. So ... how did FCD look, how did certain players look, did we control but not finish a few chances (It seems Colman picked up where he left off and missed two fairly easy ones and Tesho one). We have two more games this week that should go a long way in telling us how we may look this year.

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm never going to be terribly concerned about a preseason game score. We moved a lot of bodies in and out, Colman still can't find the goal, and Chattanooga played it like it was a cup final.

Kudos to Chattanooga. They knew what they were about. They had 5,000 people out for a preseason game, and the team responded. They played their starters, made only 3 subs, and played hard.

Dallas played like it was a preseason game. It was clear that we were better on size, athleticism, and skill at nearly every position on the field. But the player rotation didn't help the chemistry any, and Chattanooga was crowding the box. FCD didn't look particularly sharp, but I thought overall that the movement and energy of the team were good.

EricSunRa and Pegasus repped this.
  20. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They really showed that, as long as they continue kicking it around the backline with "patience" and are slow in transition, any bunkering team is enough to stop Mauro from doing much with the ball.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're forgetting we didn't have our Swiss CB. Good things happen when Dallas has Swiss player as long as they stay away from a certain food.

burning247 repped this.
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Pegasus repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny although a photo of Squidward would be even funnier.

24. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So besides for the team website, and 3rd Degree, which media outlets actually cover the team? How many of the big papers or TV channels? I stayed a night in Dallas last week and barely saw anything for preseason, upcoming season, ticket ads?

25. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    ...and you've spotted one of FCD's biggest pain points....

3rd works with Dallas Morning News to provide soccer coverage
    The Ticket has a Saturday radio show
    ESPN radio has a Sunday radio show

TV: for all intents and purposes none of the local affiliates put much time towards FCD simply because of the incredibly limited amount of time they have for a sports segment these days. That time tends to go towards Cowboys, Stars, Mavs and Rangers. Only on the most obvious of stories will a station dedicate some time towards the team.

and since I know where this conversation will go next, I will be proactive with the following:

This is 1000% the byproduct of the club's miserable marketing, which leads to half full stadiums and a place in the back of the DFW sports/entertainment room. I can tell you as a 30 year media decision maker and content creator (and host of one of the above mentioned radio shows) - the demand for FCD coverage pales in comparison to any of the other teams. It is NOT the media's job to create that demand. It is the product. The media is simply a reflection of the marketplace it serves. TV focuses on weather because people love the weather.

I promise you, when a sports/news director is convinced that ratings (aka: $$) could increase by covering FCD - they'll be there. Prom-Prom.

Scipio Gothicus, Pegasus and Rufiolo repped this.