2018 Preseason / discussion thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Because he's under 21 he doesn't count for anything, he's exempt.

Atleast that's how it used to be.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  2. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    so we'll have green until he turns 40, got it.

Blueallthru repped this.
  3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm a little sketchy on this part, but I believe that Bulka would drop our quota by one. Basically meaning we would need one fewer foreign player.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He’s a third keeper, who cares.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would love for this to be the biggest problem we face this season :D

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this quote in the no chance Willian would have stayed at Chelsea is Conte was still coach article. Willian:

"We have a lot of players with quality up front, players like Eden [Hazard] and Pedro. Players like that want to play football, no?"

Is that a low key dig at Giroud/Morata or is it more likely that he's just closer with those two.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think "creative" players think of themselves as different from strikers. Strikers are meant to score goals in any system - forwards/wingers can have very different priorities depending on the tactical setup.

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Given the number of years that Pedro/Willian/Hazard have been together in the squad it's not a dig that he omitted players who have only recently arrived.

He also likely has more of a rapport with those playing in similar positions (wouldn't be surprised if they break off into small groups for specific training and Pedro/Hazard/Willian get grouped together on the reg).

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt and I agree for the most part but after how he handled the Conte situation and saying it was his daughter that put the trophies over Conte I'm looking at him a little different.

Wrath repped this.
  10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    He was joking about his daughter doing that - English press took that out of context.

11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Surprised that Willy would come off as this openly entitled.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Why use the word “entitled”?

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh I feel like that's just as bad if you ask me. There's no need to include his daughter in his own jackassery. Simply say hey it was a moment of immaturity after enduring a difficult season with a manager that I had a falling out with. Hell don't say anything. Just don't bring a child into it.

Blueallthru repped this.
  14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Again, in the context, he was very obviously joking. He wasn’t bringing a child into anything.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing tho, joke or not, he just did. We won't be talking about this is if he didn't.

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Willian seems to think he didn't deserve to be dropped by Conte. Going by most of his performances last season, I thought Conte did right. Yeah, he is acting entitled.

truefan420 and Yahtzee repped this.
  17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :rolleyes: He made a joke in his language that’s being misconstrued. Players are human beings, not machines. You’d think he was using his daughter as a cover - he’s not.

It’s clearly not that simple. I like Conte a lot, but what ultimately sunk him was his inability to deal with some of the bigger players. We got rid of Costa because of Conte, and his performances were fine. Also, Willian was arguably our best player in our biggest games last season (vs Barca). He’s not entitled, he just had a disagreement with his manager. I used to work for someone who was a shit boss that I hated and complained about - that didn’t make me “entitled”.

18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    still waiting for a groan button:rolleyes:

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Use your words.

20. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You are clearly rewriting history here when you say Costa left because of Conte. The guy had been pining for Atletico even before Conte came. When China came with a mega offer and he kicked up a fuss, that is when things got bad between them. Costa left because of Costa. Conte made a mistake with his text but whatever, I don't mind it because of the way Costa handled himself.

Willian's probably only good game was against Barca (only slightly exaggerating). He was constantly slowing down the game and losing possession in a majority of games last year. Maybe Conte was wrong in taking him off in the one game he decided to step up but he obviously had no vendetta in that. He had a plan to win (which in retrospect turned out to be flawed). He had maybe a point in that one game but he should have respected his boss who gave him countless other leeways. Instead he acted like a drama queen. He was not better than either Pedro or Hazard in the entire season and should not have been ahead of them. I know some of you love him but I can't wait for him to leave the club. His production numbers are simply not good enough for a top tier team.

Yahtzee repped this.
  21. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #121 StamfordBridgeLions, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Well Conte was great and he totally revolutionised the game in England by playing wing backs and everybody else followed suit. But managers like Conte and Jose have a tendency to play for results and they manage by bullying the players a little (especially Jose). All players are entitled, just look at how much money they earn every week. I think Roman has always wanted us to be a more creative side in the way we play. We now have the Sarri and Zola experiment which will hopefully work out better than Villa-Boas did and his _______*. It’s always a fun soap-opera supporting a club that changes its managers as frequently as we do :)

* insert the Villa-Boas catchphrase here

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. Costa is a difficult player, but I think at this point it’s very clear he left because of Conte. All the reporting indicates this - I’m not sure why this is even controversial. That Conte caused Costa’s departure doesn’t make Costa an angel.
    2. Willian is our second best wide player - I’m not sure this is very controversial. I appreciate you don’t like his game, but he’s still a massive asset other clubs would be happy to purchase. Pissing him off is unnecessary.
    3. I really don’t understand the assumption that if a player is complaining he’s wrong. Pogba is currently 8mplying he’s unhappy with Mourinho- I think he has a good reason!

23. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. Not all players will get along with the manager and Costa being a prick really doesn't paint Conte in a bad light. Costa didn't get along with Jose either during his final days (bib incident?). Maybe the player is just an a**hole who wanted to run back to Spain
    2. Yeah, I disagree. I don't consider him our 2nd best winger at least not from his performances last year. Will agree to disagree.

He pissed off 2 players but the others still seemed to be behind him unlike Jose's last days. We even won a cup final following Conte's instructions.

Jose v Pogba is another thing altogether. Jose has constantly berated him in public even after he won the world cup. Pogba is just giving him some of the same right now.

24. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That game and 1 or 2 around the time he was absolutely electric which gave the world the false view that he somehow came close to reproducing form like that on a regular basis. Such a frustrating player.