2018 Playoffs

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 31, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 GunnerJacket, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    I'll do matchday threads as warranted but thought we might have a spot to discuss other post-season stuff here as needed. Knock-out round games begin tonight.

10/31
    NYCFC v PHI
    FCD v POR

11/1
    DCU v CBS
    LAFC v RSL

Atlanta will play their first match on the road this weekend vs. the highest seed to advance. Mathematically that can't be Philadelphia, so Atlanta will face either NYC, DCU or C'bus. I think it goes without saying we'd all rather not face DCU if possible, so I guess that makes us NYC fans tonight. Hooray for global corporate franchise football.

So who do you think wins each round? Do you have preferences if Atlanta can't pull it out?

For me my preferences go:
    Atlanta
    Anyone but LA or the NY teams
    Columbus
    Portland

For the first round I see all the home teams winning, save possibly Dallas since Portland rested their A team last weekend.

2. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Call me crazy but I think I'd prefer DC instead of NYC. At least DCU has a grown up sized pitch.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    This. We need to avoid the baseball field. I think playing DC will be fine because they’ve spent so much energy just to make the playoffs, plus they will be on short rest. However I prefer to play Columbus because I think they are the worst team of the bunch

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    And it would be nice to get a measure of revenge

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, City Football Group: New York Branch it is. Hopefully my initial thought proves correct.

6. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I hope Tata learns to CONCACAF in the baseball stadium. Bunker, stay compact and unleash quick counterattacks (read, no Barco) to eek out a 1-0 or 1-1 result. Get an away goal and be happy.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo.....never get involved in a land war in Asia, never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line, and never go into PKs against Zack Steffen.

GunnerJacket and Gunner repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Indeed. Hopefully they upend or severely work Team Energy Drink.

I hope a lot of neutrals were able to take in the games last night because those were fun! Both a bit chippy, especially the LA v RSL match, but they were up and down matches in front of raucous atmospheres so they made for good advertisements for the league. A shame they weren't the ones played on Halloween since they were guaranteed the better crowds.

RSL match surprised me. Knew the road side would be fresh but I didn't think they had the offensive fire power to nip the win, but when you get and OG and Kreilich (sp?) knocks in a once-in-a-career volley things are going your way, I guess.

yossarian repped this.
  9. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF Miggy comes back from injury, we should beat this iteration of NYCFC handily over two games.

If he does not come back, or if he's still gimpy, it'll be much more likely that we lose.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So Crew FC hangs a 1-0 loss on Team Energy Drink! Interesting. If they can swing a goal in New Jersey that will force RB to score 3, which could be a tall order. Columbus: RB apparently equates to DC:ATL.

Biggest news of the day though comes from Portland where Seattle lost 2 key players AND theirs is the series forced to play on short rest due to venue limitations. So the Rave Green have until Thursday to figure out how to come back against their arch rivals without key playmaker Christian Roldan and defender Chad Marshall. Those injuries may cost Seattle their playoff lives, if not Thursday then down the line.