2018 Playoff Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by EvanJ, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.

The 2 stadia I know best both have announced crowds that are higher than the actual number of butts in seats or bodies through turnstiles. One big aspect of this is that they seem to count season ticket holders as having attended, even if they don't. And since that happens more at NYRB than at Arsenal, the overcounting is more pronounced here.

I guess some bean counters don't see any problem with this, as long as the revenue is counted. But to me it makes the attendances seem false. And I wonder how much those other foreign stadia you cite might do something simlar (Flamengo, Tigres). My gut says that Seattle & Atlanta seem to have a higher % of sellable seats occupied than most MLS teams. Not to mention Portland.

And no doubt that Atlanta is going to be about as close to full house on Sunday as one can get.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You know, I have pooh-poohed attendance numbers in the past, but perhaps one more reason to question the numbers is that they become a way for the front office to gloss over a poor performance in the area that matters most, butts in the seats. Since moving from the Meadowlands, this club has won consistently on the field, while implementing attractive, attacking soccer, adding three Supporter's Shields along the way. They have also employed one of the games all-time great players, as well as fielding several exciting, young home grown Americans.

If the front office can't market that successfully, I don't know what can be said in defense.

NorthBank repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Today's match will be loud and raucous. I don't know about the accounting details of attendance numbers, but Atlanta United is trying to break a record today, which would mean a packed house.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Also, I've wondered for years now if Red Bull will want to or be able to continue this experiment in MLS with a half-empty RBA.

To my way of thinking, there's only one good thing about this... people like me can buy relatively cheap tickets, often at last minute. I will surely miss that, if they every fix their attendance stats.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to y'all. You have racked up some damn impressive attendances. Don't know what today's is, but it looks pretty darn full.

But one odd thing is how the stadium designers didn't seem to plan perfectly for a soccer pitch. The TV camera can't see the near right corner. It reminds me of the old Giants Stadium which was never designed for soccer. And it seems that the main camera position is not on the halfway line... it seems skewed several yards to the left? Maybe those 2 issues are related somehow.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm just sick to my stomach right now. It is hard to stay invested in this team, when year after year, match-up after match-up, in the big games, this team just doesn't show up. Every time, it's the other club that wants the game more. In the last year alone, it's been Toronto, Tijuana, and now Atlanta. I just don't know where the club goes from here, because once again it seems like they have gone timid at just the wrong time.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armas and most of the team came up completely empty on this one. No doubt about it.

Burn the whole thing down and restart. Get rid of literally everyone. Staff players everyone.

Leave Brisas. That’s about it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    FWIW, I don't think they broke the attendance record.

And I doubt Mercedes-Benz was built with soccer TV sight lines involved, the building was built for the Falcons after all. Had Arthur any idea that A United would be the success story for his legacy he might have built the MBS differently.

Great place to watch a match live though, especially for a game when the open the upper deck to pack it with 70k. Put it on the bucket list.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently we fell short. The MLS record is 70,526. That was set on Nov 11 when we played NYCFC. Today's attendance was reported as 70,016. Not sure why 500 people would rather us beat NYCFC rather than the Red Bulls, but I do know that max capacity is 71,000.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Like I said last year blow it up and re-build. I am really looking at coaching. Jessie got too cute against Tijuana and Armas for the second straight road playoff game doesn't use the gengenpress like we normally do. These kinds of games at this point in the season are about doing what you do best and keeping it simple but upping the intensity.

Now watch them win 2-0 at home with 80 shots off the post and crossbar. Btw, why did we win the Supporters Shield just to get the worse day and time for our game?

11. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Been away in England past few weeks and flew back late last night to see the score on tarmac at Newark. Ugh. I finally get to go to a match on Thursday and we really have little to no chance. What a downer.

12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No offense guys, but blowing the team doesn't really cover it. Blowing it up doesn't get rid of the stank.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

Blow it up and then use bleach to clean up the mess.

14. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    note: if Atlanta scores 1 goal, NYRB need to score 5!

So you know Atlanta is just going to sit back and counter and hope for one lucky ball

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Goddammit!! This was the worst performance of the year! What a time to have it! 4 goals to win it? We better hope ATL forget how to play. I am just so ********ing angry!!

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Didn't you guys just win the Supporters Shield in record fashion? In reality this series is the MLS Cup and you want to blow your team up... go figure. Hell, we were embarrassed on the final day of the season when the Shield was in our grasp, but there is no talk of tearing down and rebuilding.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  17. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame most of this on Armas. Overthinking and trying to reinvent the wheel coaching. Just play the RB way. If they beat when you play your style, then shake their hand and congratulate them. But don’t hand them the series by trying a new strategy for goodness sake. What a totally blown opportunity. Hope he gets fired.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 NorthBank, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    We tried the same Leg 1 strategy against Columbus and escaped their place with only a 0-1 deficit. Then we turned it on in Leg 2 at home.

Apparently that gave us confidence to try the same strategy with Atlanta. BUT they are a MUCH MUCH stronger team and they burned us badly.

Going into this tie, we really needed to keep their scoring down and to score at least one goal away. We failed... on BOTH fronts.

As soon as I saw that we'd abandoned our high-press I was concerned. Brad's goal gave me decent hope... for about 1 minute until they disallowed it. And then in the aftermath, I still had a little hope. But their 2nd goal killed that. And their 3rd goal buried us.

In Leg 2, they can afford to sit deep and compact, and even spot us 2 goals before they start to have any sort of concern.

People have cited Barca's amazing comeback in Leg 2 against PSG in 2017 after losing 0-4 in Leg 1. OK, maybe that could give us a tiny hope. But history says NYRB are more like PSG than like Barca... often getting close, but never having what it takes to clinch the deal, make the final, win the cup. OTOH, Atlanta may be more like Barca.

We shall see. If the club wants to make good on its big "Our Time" campaign, then Thursday is the acid test... the last chance.

19. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'm rooting for an early Guzan red card/PK goal to make things interesting.

NorthBank repped this.
  20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't think we will sit back to tight. One away goal gets us into the Cup.

21. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Just feels like Atlanta's gotten the benefit of the reffing, and I'm a neutral fan.

Sorta. I like the Quakes, and that Wondo goal recall at Avaya was a travesty. And I'd like to see MLS Cup finals played on grass. The action of the ball in both games Sunday was something of an eyesore.

Did Larentowicz handle the ball a second time in the box, late game, right before Atlanta got their third? (First time wasn't a penalty.)

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed one case where it seemed to hit his body more than his arm. But maybe I'm talking about the first one? I don't recall seeing a second one, but by that time I was pretty distracted by my frustration in how we had thrown away the tie.

But VAR is strongly in place so I gotta figure if there's anything really clear, they'll call it back. Like they did for BWP's goal. :(

23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I don't feel like it's been consistent.

Guess that's refereeing in general.

24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Does Atlanta know how to bunker?