2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stanton is not in the same category as Gilliland or Huerta. These are two up and coming USWNT players. Jen Hoy would be a much more fair trade.

blissett repped this.
  2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm confused. Is Sky Blur giving up Killion or Stanton to come to Chicago with Kerr? If it's Killion, I withdraw my previous prediction that Chicago would give up Mautz as the lagniappe. It's going to have to be a Chicago starter -- Colaprico or DiBernardo, probably. Or Naughton maybe.

Gilliland or Huerta would be a big price for Chicago to pay. Worth it? I have my doubts.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stanton is what the corrected version is. Not Killion.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are Kerr and Stanton close? They are both on Perth Glory at this time as well.

5. I say Colaprico since it's close to home for her. DiBernardo is a local girl, she's going nowhere.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Andressinha's agent was very aggressive. A lot of Brazilians seem always looking for the next bigger contract. The fact that the Dash were already paying a 22 yo player max money tells me they had trouble signing her the last time. Now Portland has some added perks and a lot of the big money in Europe is a myth. What u do get is more months so it works out to more money. But someone like Kerr can always get that big deal if she wants it. Hopefully she doesn't for a while.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mystery player isn't Colaprico, DiBernardo, Gilliland, or Short. It's likely one of Huerta, Hoy, or Naughton.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dames has said Press was ready to leave Chicago, and she asked to leave. It was a mutual decision, according to him. I have to think though that she didn't want to go to Houston.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Huerta's stock in the women's soccer world will be going much higher soon.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it may be Jen Hoy:

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, i dare to say that this sounds much better for Chicago that if they had to give Colaprico, Huerta or Gilliland. Can we say that Red Stars had a very good deal?

In the end, I guess that triangles between Houston and Sky Blue mostly feel irrelevant to the whole affair: the basic deal is that Red Stars gave away Press to get Kerr, and, despite the high value of Press, I guess the deal is still in Chicago's favour, especially if you consider that Press asked to go, so she surely wasn't motivated to play another season in Chicago.

Also: Press is 29, Kerr is 24: yes, this doesn't mean that she will remain for long in Chicago, I am not talking about investment; I am just saying that she's probably in her best years, at the peak of her career, while Press is approaching her 30s; she's experienced and still super-fit, but I'd anyway choose the younger player, who's hungrier for success and still in the ascending part of her career.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So the details of the trade is now confirmed.

My thoughts re. each team involved

Houston - Got rid of two very good players who did not play their best for what ever reason in Houston. They get Christen Press and if they can sign one or two good central midfielders in addition to Ohai and Daly, she might work out well for them. Also it would be nice if the Houston front office will wake up and promote the team properly with Press not on the roster.

Chicago - On paper the look like the winner here as they manage to keep the core of their team and replace a 29 year old great scorer with a 24 year old prolific scorer. My worry for Chigaco still remains the same which is the team needed to refresh and getting rid of Press alone does not change it as their midfield remains largely the same.

SBFC - Like Boston before them SBFC have traded their most valuable asset in exchange for an aging star, a young player who have so far not lived up to her promise and a very good bench player. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall and knew that Kerr star power had outgrown the club and it was time to cash in or they would have lost her for much less. That said, I can see some promise in the players they have received. Lloyd will once again be playing in her back yard and one hope her appearance will be higher than it was for Houston. Lloyd is the type of player that one can see playing up till 40+ on the club scene so I don't think age will be a problem. Janine Beckie have looked decent for Canada so one should not use her form in Houston to judge her value. Hopefully the change of scenery unlocks that potential. Hoy is a very decent option to have coming off the bench.

All in all, for a trade this magnitude I think all parties keep out ok all things considered.

Ismitje, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree, but I keep thinking that Red Stars had the better deal out of the three, as anyway you rightfully acknowledged.

Edit: also, it looks like they had a quite brilliant draft, so they moved well on that front also; exchanges of picks in the draft were a little part of the "big deal", but I guess CRS made quite good use of them also.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #166 blissett, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    I give it to you, @MRAD12: you guessed Jen Hoy right, way before it was disclosed! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Or maybe it was just the force of wishful thinking? :laugh:

MRAD12 repped this.
  17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    The story for Chicago remains the same every year. I can't remember a draft in which they did not draft well. Problem is we all know how this plays out. The team will start the season great but struggle towards the end of the season which will culminate in either missing the playoffs or losing in the first round.
    Chicago has the same problem as Seattle, the team has become too stale. So far these two teams have made similar tactical trades this off season by bringing in a new starting forward. Seattle went the extra step of replacing their coach. However there's still much work that is left to be done in refreshing the teams as the midfield and defense looks to same. Reshuffling the deck chairs by bringing in peripheral players won't make a difference IMO.

MRAD12 and blissett repped this.
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe after this season IF they fall on their face again, a coaching change may be what is needed. A coach can get stale as well.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe a little of both.

blissett repped this.
  20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    He is the longest serving coach at a single team in NWSL.

blissett repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Addendums
    - Lloyd asked for trade to SB to be closer to home. Paul said she wanted to work with Lloyd but granted request.
    - Kerr is signed to Chicago
    Other
    - odd why they needed 3 teams.
    ...P1 - If SB wanted Lloyd & Beckie then either Kerr wouldn't go to Houston or Houston preferred Press
    ...P2 - If Chicago was willing to trade Press for Kerr why didn't SB sign for it. Do they think they r better off with Lloyd than Press or did Press say no to SB?

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not sure I would call the Red Stars "stale"... If they were getting stale, then their would be slowly regressing in performance, but as Blaze noted**, they're remarkably consistent over the past 4 years. It's not like Seattle and KC where they had two great years and then have been lackluster since - Chicago always looks like a playoff team. Heck, their PPG has been on the up ever since the league started - 1.364 in 2013, 1.458 in 2014, 1.650 in 2015 and 2016, and if they hadn't thrown the last gave of 2017** they could have been at 1.667 or even 1.750 (ended up with 1.625, which is just a hair under 1.650). Since the playoffs are very sensitive to who's better on the day, there's that little element of luck in the first round that the regular season doesn't have, so in my eyes Chicago is still on the up and doesn't need a big change aside from getting a little help in winning that first round game.

**And actually, if they hadn't thrown the last 2017 game, then they would've ended 2017 on a five-game unbeaten streak with three or four wins. In that sense, they kinda broke their "pattern" since the slump was more midseason than late-season

blissett repped this.
  23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The three key players either wanted their trade or at least OK'd them, otherwise the trades would not have happened.

24. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lloyd had wanted to be in NJ, she would have been here already. In the previous league, Lloyd started in Chicago, and when that did not work out, she landed with SB (my memory is she was injured for most of that season). She then jumped ship the third season of the league. Rutgers can't even get her to show up for a Rutgers Hall of Fame induction. Maybe Lloyd did not want to do that (infrequent) Houston commute anymore?

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the fact that she's now married probably changes things.

SiberianThunderT repped this.