2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    This would be best for all teams involved, but the trade won't be this epic:

Chicago---> Utah: Stephanie McCaffrey, Sam Johnson
    Chicago ---> Houston: Sofia Huerta, Alyssa Mautz, Taylor Comeau
    Houston ---> Chicago: Rachel Daly, 2nd Round Pick
    Houston ---> Utah: Christen Press, Savannah Jordan, International Slot (2019)
    Utah ---> Houston: Amy Rodriguez, Alex Arlitt, 1st Round Pick
    Utah ---> Chicago: Kelley O'Hara, Brooke Elby

Chicago Loses: McCaffrey, Sam Johnson, Sofia Huerta, Mautz, Comeau
    Chicago Gains: Rachel Daly, Kelley O'Hara, Brooke Elby, 2nd Round Pick

Houston Loses: Rachel Daly, Christen Press, Savannah Jordan, 2nd Round pick, International Slot (2019)
    Houston Gains: Huerta, Mautz, Comeau, Arlitt, A-Rod, 1st Round Pick

Utah Loses: Amy Rodriguez, Arlitt, Kelley O'Hara, Brooke Elby, 1st Round Pick
    Utah Gains: McCaffrey, Sam Johnson, Christen Press, Savannah Jordan, international slot

Chicago: Consolidates their extreme Quantity of depth (when healthy) for better Quality, by adding Daly and O'Hara, two dynamite players, who will join their other stars. DiBernardo, Colaprico, and Brian in the midfield will complete their team. Daly or O'Hara can be a winger for them, and be productive.

Houston: Upgrade young talent by adding another 1st round pick. Sofia Huerta and Amy Rodriguez join Ohai in Houston. Comeau helps them in the midfield, Mautz gives them some more speed, and Arlitt gives their defense some needed depth.

Utah: Trade A-Rod while she still has some trade value. Kelley O'Hara's trade value might be at its highest. Acquiring Christen Press is a wise decision. Savannah Jordan gives them another attacking option for their future. McCaffrey gives them additional depth either at striker or winger. Now their attack is complete. Sam Johnson helps give them some defense, after losing some defenders in this trade. Acquiring an international slot for 2019 could help them bring in an international midfielder with technical skill, or they could use it on an outside back.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Typical @WWC_Movement! :rolleyes:

An infinite speculation on a random hypothesis that won't ever happen.

kernel_thai repped this.
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK, why isn't this BIG trade announced yet since everyone seems to know who is going where??

4. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Looks like the league wants to make sure they don't have a repeat of what happened with the last 3 team Mega trade. Cross the "T's" dot the "I's" before making any announcement?

CoachJon repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't forget also: the previous three-team trade was only half-announced as early as it was because it was literally the morning of (and maybe even during? I don't recall 100%) the college draft, and they needed to say why picks were traded. They didn't even have all the pieces set at that point. Press issue aside, the previous major trade wasn't handled cleanly anyway.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #506 MRAD12, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Well, here's the trade:

http://chicagoredstars.com/chicago-acquires-brooke-elby-and-six-nwsl-college-draft-picks/

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/#tra...utah-huerta-comeau-to-houston-elby-to-chicago

https://equalizersoccer.com/2018/06/18/nwsl-mega-deal-sends-christen-press-rights-to-utah/

Red Stars acquired the rights to Press back from Houston for Huerta and Comeau and traded her to Utah with Johnson for Elby and future draft picks.

Kernel_thai, you can't say that Arnim didn't make things right with Houston and Press. Actually The Red Stars are the ones holding the bag on this one, IMO, having to wait till future drafts to figure out what they got.

The Red Stars lost three starters in two defenders and a USWNT player in this trade.

Sofia Huerta may now get to play the position where Jill Ellis needs her to play to get a USWNT allocation tag.

blissett repped this.
  7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Chicago won this trade with the million first round picks they got, plus 2nd round.

This is like how the Dallas Cowboys built their team in the early 90's, from the Herschel Walker trade.

This is like how the Kansas Chiefs built their roster a few years back, by acquiring picks.

This is like how the Carolina Courage (Western New York Flash) built up their team a few years back.

Chicago is building for the future.
    They used Press as the bait.

In the end, the only really good player the Red Stars lost in this tornado deal is Huerta.
    The rest of the players are solid, but are not All-Stars, and are very replaceable.

Chicago acquired as many as 6 draft picks in this trade, from the 2019-2021 drafts.
    Nearly all of them are 1st round picks.

8. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe in the long run Chicago is the winner -- but in 2018 Chicago looks like a big loser.

Houston gets Huerta which gives it a scary offense -- assuming Huerta plays right side forward alongside Daly with Ohai on the left. I've opined before that Huerta was misused at Chicago and maybe she'll flourish under new management.

Utah gets Press which will help its lackluster offense.

Chicago gets Elby, who is good but plays a position where Chicago already has good players.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I also read your comment in ES boards. You said similar thing.

First of all I don't see how Huerta was misused. The Red Stars had many players on the injury list all season and Kerr didn't come in till way after the season started.
    You mentioned on ES that she needed to get away from Dames. Look I am not standing up for Rory or some of his tactics, but, he had to play Sofia where he needed her with all the players out. Rory Dames drafted Sofia Huerta and started her right away, she may have not gotten this opportunity with any other coach. Huerta earned her success and was very successful in Chicago by being the second in Red Stars history in goals and assists, but it was Rory who put her in a position to succeed. NOW once Ellis started calling her into USWNT she needed to play outside defender where Ellis wants her to play, that would have been hard in Chicago, Rory needed her to play mid or forward. IMO, Sofia is thinking about her USWNT future. I don't blame her, but Rory gets paid by the Red Stars owner, not the USSF, so his first loyalty is to the Red Stars. I as a season ticket holder want the Head Coach to be loyal to my team first, everything and everyone else comes second.

I get erked at people who throw out blanket statements like, she was misused.
    How was she misused Smallchief, please explain?

CoachJon repped this.
  10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The only great player Chicago lost in this whole fiasco was Huerta, who wanted out. Usually a team has less leverage in any trade talks when everyone knows a player wants out. The Red Stars got more back in this trade than they usually would in this type of scenario. They were smart to make it a 3 team trade, in ensuring this, instead of a standard 2-way trade.

Chicago has solidified they will be bringing in key pieces year in and year out from now through 2021, by keeping the team strong for the future. They will always have an influx of talent coming in, as long as they do their homework of the top collegiate players. The draft picks also give them trade pieces. They can trade for other players or international slots virtually whenever they want from now through 2021.

Chicago has Assets.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Chicago also knows the power of draft picks:

They drafted Jen Hoy
    They drafted Julie Ertz
    They drafted Vanessa DiBernardo
    They drafted Arin Gilliland
    They drafted Danielle Colaprico
    They drafted Sofia Huerta
    They drafted Katie Naughton

But they haven't drafted a real solid player in the draft since Naughton (2016 draft).
    You can't have too big of a gap in years in between drafts in acquiring talent.
    This was a very smart move by the Red Stars.

CoachJon repped this.
  12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's easy to forget that Chicago also has their own 1st round picks through 2021.
    Now they have 8 first round picks through 2021.
    They also have a slew of 2nd round picks through then as well.

2019 #1 overall (from Utah)
    2019 1st Round (from Utah)
    2019 1st Round (Chicago's own pick)

2020 1st Round (from Houston)
    2020 1st Round (from Utah)
    2020 1st Round (Chicago's own pick)

2021 1st Round (from Utah)
    2021 1st Round (Chicago's own pick)

Here is a prediction on who the Red Stars will draft:

2019 - Taylor Racioppi (MF) (Duke) (#1 overall draft pick)
    2019 - Tegan McGrady (D) (Stanford)
    2019 - Maddie Elliston (D) (Penn State)
    2019 - Devon Kerr (GK) (Ohio State) (taken in the 3rd round in 2019)

2020 - Tierna Davidson (D) (Stanford) (they trade up to get Davidson at #2 pick)
    2020 - Deyna Catellanos (F) (Florida State)
    2020 - Ally Watt (F) (Texas A&M)

2021 - Ashley Sanchez (F/MF) (UCLA)
    2021 - Taryn Torres (MF) (Virginia)
    2021 - Civana Kuhlmann (F) (Stanford) (Red Stars select Kuhlmann in 2nd round)

*Jessie Fleming will be #1 overall pick in 2020, sliding Tierna Davidson down to #2

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Chicago - 2021 Roster:

F - Sam Kerr, Ramona Bachmann, Deyna Castellanos, Civana Kuhlmann, Ally Watt
    MF - Ashley Sanchez, Taylor Racioppi, Taryn Torres, Vanessa DiBernardo, Morgan Brian, Danielle Colaprico, Jule Ertz, Michele Vasconcelos
    D - Tegan McGrady, Arin Gilliland, Maddie Elliston, Tierna Davidson, Katie Naughton, Casey Short, Brooke Elby
    GK - Devon Kerr, Emily Boyd

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #514 Smallchief, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    My premise is that Chicago underperformed on offense in 2016 and 2017 and the reason was Dames' coaching, especially as it applied to his use of Huerta.

Despite having many best 11 or second best 11 on the team (Press, Gilliland, Short, Huerta, Colaprico, DiBernardo, etc.) Chicago scored only 24 goals in 2016 and 33 in 2017. In number of goals scored they tied for 6th in the NWSL in 2016; and were 6th in 2017.

Conclusion: Chicago's offensive output was sub-par for a playoff quality team.

I blame that on Dames' one-track offensive strategy -- which summed up was "everybody's job is to get the ball to Press and let her shoot." Press is a good forward but not that good. Dames' needed a second scoring threat -- and Huerta should have been that threat -- a second forward whose job was to play alongside Press as an equal, not as a mid-fielder whose job was to feed the ball to Press.

Examples: In 2017, Press took 84 shots (second in the league) for an unimpressive total of 7 goals from the field (plus 4 PKs), Huerta got 6 goals from the field with 44 shots, an impressive total of goals for someone who played mostly in the midfield.

There were a lot of complaints that Press and Huerta didn't play together well. I think that was because Dames inhibited Huerta. Her role was to be a provider, not a shooter, and she is best as a shooter.

Then there was, in my opinion, Dames inexcusable public blaming of Huerta for two goals scored by the opposing team earlier this year. If I were Huerta, I'd paraphrase that country song, "Heaven is Chicago in my rear view mirror."

Maybe, Dames' offensive philosophy will work this year with Kerr and Nagasoto, because Kerr is so very very good and Nagasoto is no slouch either. But it didn't work with Press and Huerta-- and he should have realized that it wasn't working.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can't blame Whisler for this one. It isn't his fault that Brian Ching is totally incompetent. Dames once again made the Dash FO look like a country bumpkins on their first trip to the city.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The tale of this trade won't be determined for a few years because most of what Chicago got was picks so it's hard to pick winners and losers. I don't see this as a sign of Chicago's demise. When Brian joins in and assuming Short and DiBernardo remain healthy, they r probably as strong as they have been all year. Utah also added the one thing they were lacking, a forward who can get and make her own shot. As to the Dash, they upgraded two positions with players I can see fitting nicely in the system Pauw wants to play. So I think all 3 teams benefited.

As to my Dash, they were simply bamboozled again. Yes they got two players I like but as always paid way too much for them. In January Press was worth Lloyd and Beckie, two good NT players. Now 6 months later u need Press plus a 2020 1st round pick to get Huerta, who may or may not make the NT and Comeau who was a reserve on the Red Stars. Considering who the Dash got in relation to the original trade, it should have been Chicago adding a 1st round pick to even the trade. Ching should be glad he didn't accidentally give up Ohai or Daly before skulking out of the room.

blissett repped this.
  17. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017

18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's amazing how Chicago used Christen Press TWICE to get their best assets of their future championship Dynasty.

They traded Press to get Sam Kerr
    They traded/parlayed Press to get nearly their entire package of future stars.

Wonder if they can find a way to go for the Hat Trick, and use Press again?
    Maybe the next expansion team coming in will go for it?

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    hmm....

at least somebody has faith - faith that the league will still be rolling in 2021.

Ismitje repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You're short-changing Taylor Comeau. I am most sad to see her go. She was a bring the lunch box to work player who always gives it all and is a very good defender. The Dash are getting a USWNT player and a first rate defender not a reserve as you put it. You're not getting a #1 Draft pick as well.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, considering that we're currently at 9 teams, and the two teams with question marks will be offset by what seems to be at least two strong expansions for 2019, combined with the fact that the league is starting to get its toe into ESPN, why would there be any worry about 2021 at this point?

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who are the two teams with question marks?

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seattle (stadium issue) and Sky Blue (no immediate pressing issue, but everyone always questions them anyway because they're so small)

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If it's true that Huerta wanted out of Chicago because Dames wouldn't play her at right back then I don't see Pauw making that same mistake. I like Comeau and Ohai will be very glad to see her in Orange because she always played her tough but she wasn't starting over Short when healthy and she isn't starting over Chapman.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will be in Orlando next week and I will be at the Wednesday night game between Pride and Dash. Hope to see both Huerta and Comeau in the line-up for the Dash. I hope to get an opportunity to say thanks to both.