2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

CoachJon, Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *heavy sigh*
    Well, now she can play against PSG and Man City later this summer...

4. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    It is actually Crnogorčević which makes things even harder. It has to be very difficult for an English speaking person to say it correctly, because you don't have the sound of "ć" in English just like we - Slavic language users - don't have the sound of "th". The beginning sounds also a little bit different, but it is even harder to explain. If the announcer decides to use the form posted by you, it will be fine by me. Slavic languages are difficult even for us

MiLLeNNiuM, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had the feeling that the version posted on Portland's website wasn't entirely correct, but I didn't know enough to actually give the correct spelling. And, as you mentioned, I was aware that some sounds couldn't even exist in English.

Oh, well, if even a Slavic-languages native-speaker has some doubts, I feel like I was allowed to have some too. :p

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does one correctly pronounce each of the accented c letters, as best an English speaker could do it? My grandmother was born Pičinić, from Mali Losinj, Hrvatska.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I knew you and I had something in common. Except my family comes from the other side of the Danube. But hey, "Bratstvo i Jedinstvo!"

MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So she will think she plays for the Portland Orns?

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  9. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    It is easier to show than to explain, but I will try. The "ć" sounds softer and the "č" sounds harder. To produce the "ć" sound your tongue should be placed right behind your front teeth and to produce "č" your tongue should be further back. "č" sounds exactly like ch in e.g. "charm" or "match". As to "ć", this is what I found on the Internet: "There’s no exact English equivalent, but the closest would be the sound of t in British English “tune” (pronounced ty) :D
    I'm Polish and we don't have "č" letter in our alphabeat, but the exact same sound we write as "cz" like for example in the last name of excellent former NWSL player "Buczkowski" :)

CoachJon, Gilmoy, cpthomas and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Semblance17, blissett and fire123 repped this.
  11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ohh, I like Chapman. She's a good left back. Good get for Houston.

Speaking of left backs, is there a better one around that Meghan Klingenberg of Portland? Why has Jill Ellis abandoned her?

And speaking of Portland Midge Purce was really impressive. Great speed and a better ball handler than a lot of people the National Team has tried out on the right side of the field.

And, again, speaking of Portland, what a game last Saturday between Portland and Seattle! A game like that makes watching all those 0-0 snoozers (Hi, Blissett.) worth while -- just to catch the exceptional game a few times every year. The addition of Allie Long in the midfield has made Seattle a contender -- even without Rapinoe.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Other bonuses from this trade for Houston: Chapman doesn't count against the roster size (dispersal player) or salary cap (CSA-subsidized player).

blissett repped this.
  13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Good trade for Houston (when was the last time we said that??)

1) Chapman is a competent player; but she wasn't going to start over Mathias or Hinkle in North Carolina
    2) She allows Mewis to play midfield
    3) As others said, she doesn't count against roster size and she is allocated

Shifting players around to their new spots (Keever to defense, Mewis to mid, Daly to forward), by my count Houston now has 5 defenders on the roster! (Brooks, van Wyk, Agnew, Chapman, Keever). Still frighteningly thin.

blissett and fire123 repped this.
  14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Knowing Houston this was the main reason (and not a bonus) of why they got her.

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi. :giggle:

Smallchief and Gilmoy repped this.
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ur assumption there is that the Dash don't cut someone else to stay at 20. They had enough Boston players to carry 23 yet widdled it down to 20 to save nickels and dimes.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sorry, I hate it. Nothing against Chapman who is a big upgrade at OB but is isn't the kind of move that translates into a big move up the table. Instead they will play a little better but still finish in the bottom two but not have that high draft pick that could help them next year. Also, as it's a weak draft Im not surprised a savvy team like NC would be moving 2nd rounders to get up to one of the few spots they might find a player that makes their roster.

If they were determined to give NC that #1 pick I would have been talking to Elise Kellond-Knight to see if she would come to Houston and join Simon. The Dash have the int slot and NC has her rights. Knight was planning to join Seattle but apparently NC/Reign couldn't work out a deal. If she'd come to Houston she arrive as their best midfielder and a natural partner for Simon. Then they leave Mewis at LB where she was doing a good job.

For me the Chapman move is exactly the kind of short term lateral move that keeps bad teams bad. She is a bandaid. The type of teams who would make this move r one's looking for a missing piece to put them over the top not one like the Dash with a ton of holes to fill.

Airox repped this.
  18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    hmm... unless she has really retrogressed, i think chapman is a very good trade for the dash.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Except we don’t know if they talked to her or not. Also at this point in the season no one is going to be making big moves.

20. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chapman is a good piece for Houston. They just gave up too much....

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Was it too much though? I've heard that the draft next year isn't going to be incredibly deep, and if we have three expansion teams as is a rumored possibility, (we're certainly getting at least one and almost certainly two,) then that would put Houston's first pick at #5 overall, and that's assuming they do in fact finish last - but they're already ahead of both Sky Blue and Washington in this season's ladder. I find it hard to believe a pick that ranges anywhere from #3 to #7 (avg. of #5) in a weak draft is worth much more than a veteran (and free) defender contributing now.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yeah I don't think they give up too much either. I think what I've seen mentioned by Chris H. is that the could have gotten her as the #6 pick in the dispersal draft and probably still have gotten Simon. But that ship have sail

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Whenever u do a deal for a #1 pick u really don't know until the draft how u made out. Yes it's projected as not a deep draft so ur better off holding ur top pick where there might be a player than that helps u right away. The time u want to collect a bunch of #2 picks is when it is a deep draft. This was the Houston FO getting played once again. As to Chapman herself, Houston is rebuilding and Chapman will be 30 before next season so it's a short term fix for a team looking long term. Now u can make the case that adding a veteran like Chapman to rebuilding team helps the younger players. I'll buy that but not at the cost of ur #1 pick that will almost certainly be top 5. Chapman would have been a nice add if they got her for a later round pick. Now what appealed to the Houston FO about Chapman who they already had and traded away? She is free. If she isn't allocated I doubt they do this deal. On a related topic I saw the MLS team salaries listed today. Guess who has the lowest team salary in MLS. If u guessed the Dynamo u win the prize. Would love to see a ranking of NWSL team salaries.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would have been disappointed if they had taken Chapman in the re-entry draft. They had already traded for Agnew to play OB, drafted Keever to play OB and went on to pick Okvist with their next re-entry pick. Don't see how u use another pick on the same spot. As to what the #1 may be worth, they got Hanson this year at #7. Beckie at #8 and Daly at #6 r other quality players Houston has mined from the middle of the first round.

25. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that next years draft is not deep is exactly why they paid too much. They got 2nd round picks which are only of use in deep drafts. They gave away a really early pick which is their only chance of adding a strong player in the upcoming draft.

Now Chapman is a good player and has already helped them. And I think she could help in the future too. I don't think this was a good trade, but it was at least reasonable. Much better than previous trades!

kernel_thai repped this.