2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed we've all been pretty hard on Houston but there are some other teams with serious concerns. As you said who will score for RSL(still think trading Groom was a bad move)How many similar mids can Washington have? Who will actually be healthy for Portland/Chicago? How many unproven forwards does Sky Blue need? And how many starting level center backs can Seattle hoard before loosing them in the expansion draft next year without any return?

I could go on but....I can't think of anything for NC.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using Portland again as an example, they have two draft picks not on the announced roster (and their third draft pick, Bella Geist, would have been their 3rd GK), with Elizabeth Ball being on the roster after being a Non-Roster Invitee. Portland also has two slots open on its non-Dispersal Draft allowed 20 player roster. Of the two draft picks, Sandra Yu performed well in camp, but is back a Notre Dame finishing up her masters degree, so it is possible they will sign her. Gabby Seiler had knee surgery on January 19 and was not in camp, so it is possible she will get a shot later. So, one can't rule them out yet. On the other hand, the Thorns are looking for an experienced striker, who would take up a slot.

My point is, it seems premature to look at the current rosters as anything like "final," at least for some teams.

3. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think Press can play the AM role in Vlatkos preferred 4-5-1. And I think she's an upgrade over Long. Maybe not as able to play multiple positions though. I don't think Seattle has to have Press but I think offensive firepower would be impressive with her addition. I do hope Seattle keeps Andrews though. I'm fine with them moving any of our CBs though.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and Blaze20 repped this.
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Correct. Press is an upgrade over any attacker in our midfield so of course you'll get her.

blissett repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Then Im obviously underestimating Press value so I should get more. Since she is sliding into a midfield role Ill take Oyster and Utsugi and really upgrade the Dash.

New Dash as gifted by Myrtle & Blaze

.................Jordan
    Ohai.........Simon........Prince
    .........Hanson.......Utsugi
    Agnew - Oyster - Brooks - Daly
    ..................Campbell

Now uve cheered me up

7. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think Utsigi will be moved but I will let you dream

blissett and Blaze20 repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #433 kernel_thai, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    I don't either but I was offering Press for Bauer & Andrews and u guys talked me out of it because Press is too damn good to be traded for so little :). I think the same thing I thought before the Seattle rumors yesterday. The two teams who really need a goal scorer and meet the Press minimum standards r Portland & Utah. Im not sure where either of those teams get goals from. The only way I see Seattle involved is as a third team in the deal because the other two don't have the right pieces. For example, lets say the Dash wanted Oyster. Utah has a ton of Valtko's old players. What if Utah traded A-Rod (who is DL45 so they'd have to wait) for Oyster and then Utah moved Oyster and a midfielder for Press.

9. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    blissett repped this.
  11. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
  12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Hmm, we’ll see

blissett repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi educated NWSL fans: I'm curious what formation/lineup you all think Harvey will use for the Royals.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    For the entire time Harvey was at Seattle she used the 4-3-3/4-5-1. One of my main criticisms I had with her was how inflexible she was with changing formations even if her personal did not suit it. For example playing Yanez on the wing (left or right) should be a no no.

Now I don't know what she will do in Utah but I don't expect her to all of a sudden switch to a 4-4-2 or something different.

15 to 32 repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, and this is, I guess, the final nail on the coffin for every possible theory about Press ever landing in Portland.

Although Crnogorcevic played different positions, from midfield to wing, I guess she's fundamentally a FW. Probably, at this point of the season, she realised that 1.FFC Frankfurt won't manage to grab a Champion's League qualification-worthy spot in Frauen-Bundesliga this year either and she seized the day to jump on NWSL train.

Calci0 repped this.
  17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Isn't there a requirement for the correct number of vowels in the NWSL bylaws???

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Eheh, you'll have to take practice with this one! :laugh:

It can help to know that many Slavic languages make use of "sonorants", i.e. mostly liquid or nasal consonants that can act as vowels in opportune conditions. In this case the first "r" in Crnogorcevic acts as a "sort of" vowel and your voice can lean on it. :)

Edit: of course, Ana-Maria Crnogorcevic is indees Swiss, but of Slavic descent.

MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Note: Most of the NWSL announcers have trouble with Horan.

CoachJon, Airox and blissett repped this.
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Interesting article by Jamie Goldberg on Mana Shim about her loss of her dad and bipolar disorder.

https://t.co/anohXf6haW

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never told us how her last name should be pronounced phonetically.
    Now I'm curious.

blissett repped this.
  22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I say call her "Corny."

blissett repped this.
  23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir-na-GORE-cha-vitch

That's from the Thorns website.

CoachJon and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    cpthomas beat me on that, because I was set up about finding an actual phonetic font, but yesterday in the late evening I was too tired to do that. You know, what's difficult for me is that, since I am not an English native-speaker, I always find it difficult to correctly spell in English names that sometimes include phonemes that don't even exist in English. So I try to refer to the IPA symbols, but then I have to find the correct fonts for it. :x3:

About Crnogorcevic herself, I won't question the Thorns website, and I don't know Slavic languages enough to be sure about the exact spelling (especially since the player trasferred in Switzerland, and maybe her surname is spelled differently there), but sometimes I heard European announcers spell also the first "C" in her name as a "ch" (as in "Ch(e)r-na-GORE-cha-vitch), but it could be very well that those announcers didn't know what they were saying, since I heard the name spelled as cpthomas said at least the same number of times. ;) Also, it is possible that the "sonorant" sound of the "r" is made heard through some sort of "half-vowel", a kind of "mute" sound besides the "r".
    But I repeat that I don't know enough about Slavic languages to actually give correct information. :notworthy:

CoachJon and cpthomas repped this.
  25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Erudition abounds here.

CoachJon, BalanceUT, cpthomas and 2 others repped this.