2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think this can happen.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Lol.

If there’s one immovable object in Seattle it’s Rapinoe. I think it’ll be a defender and a midfielder. With Levin going to Europe the Dash are even more desperate.

Apparently Allie Long have ties to the Houston area so if she’s part of this trade I expect someone else like Bauer or Oyster (hopefully not). I also won’t be surprised if Spencer was traded as well.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

blissett repped this.
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    This is of course dumb. As I said before Houston made a stupid trade and are now try to save face by swinging for the fence. It might not end well for them.
    This reminds me of the Virgil van Dijk saga in the EPL. A club holding onto an unhappy player when they have a reason offer is not a good think. Southampton took that gamble and it derailed their entire season. It’s best to put an end to this mess and focus 100% on the upcoming season.

blissett repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was actually kidding. Should have put a smily-face or something.

My point though is Houston wants a USWNT player for ticket sale purposes.
    That is why IMO, they may have been a willing partner in that trade with Chicago. They are concerned about ticket sales. Oyster or whoever else you said is not going to do it for Houston. It may not be about winning, it may be about getting butts in the seats.They want a USWNT player and that's final. In my opinion.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My biggest problem is if u look at the roster, the three teams who don't need Press (IMO) r NC, Orlando & Seattle. I can't see why a sharp guy like Vlatko would do this deal for equal value when he has a ton of attackers already.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I doubt Vlatko or anyone is going to blow up their team for Press, hence why this trade haven’t happened yet. At some point the Houston FO will realized you can build a winning team that people want to see play without any uswnt player. As it stands currently the only player that put butts in the seat is Morgan so they may as well just let that dream go. It’s like they are stuck on version 1.0 of how to run a women’s team while everyone has moved on

cpthomas and CoachJon repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    2018 Houston Dash Roster:

Rostered Players (19 of 20 spots filled)

Goalkeepers (3): Jane Campbell (FED-USA), Bianca Henninger, Sammy Jo Prudhomme (DD)

Defenders (5): Lindsay Agnew, Amber Brooks, Rachel Daly (INTL-England), Lotta Okvist (INTL-Sweden, DD), Janine Van Wyk (INTL-South Africa)

Midfielders (6): Claire Falknor, Michaela Hahn, Kristie Mewis, Linda Motlhalo (INTL-South Africa), Meleana Shim, Allison Wetherington

Forwards (5): Savannah Jordan, Thembi Kgatlana (INTL-South Africa), Kealia Ohai, Nichelle Prince (FED-Canada), Kyah Simon (INTL-Australia)

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So they have no defenders and cut Roccaro? Wow

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Should we restrain you yet :)

blissett repped this.
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U just have to sit back and take in the splendor of it. They played a 5 back in their match against Portland and now have a total of 5 defenders on the entire roster. Of those 5, 2 r forwards in disguise and the third is Mewis impersonating a CB.

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I counted only 7 draft picks on rosters -
    Frannie Crouse - NC
    Emily Boyd - CHI
    Amandine Pierre-Louis - SKY
    Michaela Abam - SKY
    Savannah McCaskill - SKY
    Mallory Eubanks - WAS
    Andi Sullivan - WAS​
    ORL, POR, - zero
    I don't know if there will be a spot for Celia Jimenez Delgado - SEA ( reporting late)​

That sucks. Expansion can't happen soon enough.

13. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame it on my old age. :eek:

14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think Press is a little overrated here.
    I wouldn't trade any significant young player to get her.

15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed; I would do that trade.
    I wouldn't give up Andrews though.
    I think she can be a special player for the Reign down the road.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I wonder how much of the new rules of no longer allowing free amateur call up is affecting the roster size of teams?
    Why spend full salary on a rookie that is unlikely to play when you can call them up and pay as needed?

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From this list, I count 18 of 20 spots filled (rather than 21 of 20 filled), with three additional spots filled by Boston dispersal draft players who don't count against the 20. That leaves room for 2 more players.

In fact, I notice the same kind of thing for Seattle. I haven't checked the others.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're jumping the gun on this. The numbers of players listed above who count towards the 20 limit are wrong, because they include the Boston dispersal draft players. A bunch of teams are under 20. For example, Portland is at 18. I think I read that a team can't count a player until her contract is signed. For teams that just have made their decisions, the contracts may not be signed yet, since the contracts go through the NWSL office. I'm guessing we'll see more teams adding players to their rosters either later this week, in the slightly longer future, or at the end of the college school year. Those possibly would include draft picks.

Ismitje and blissett repped this.
  19. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think you're giving the Houston FO far too much credit. They'll never figure this out.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm a Notre Dame fan and a few years back the thought was that Rocarro would make the 2019 World Cup. She was being called up to the USWNT Youth teams left and right a few years ago. Waldrum, when he was coaching her at ND was grooming her for success. She was one of his favorites from what I heard. Wow, has she fallen!

21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, that really sucks. By my approximate count, 28 out of 40 players drafted last year played during the course of the season. This year only 7 on the rosters? A bad year to be a rookie.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought at one point she was engaged to Nick Besler who plays for RSL. Maybe she will land there?

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I don’t think we talked a lot about some of the rosters but ine think that jumped at me was that while everyone is focused on who will defend for Houston, the opposite should be asked about Utah. Who’s going to score? A rod is on the DL and so far I see Stengel who couldn’t crack it last year and an international forward. Other than that Harvey must be hoping her midfielders and defenders contribute because objectively I don’t see where they get the scoring from.

They are are team that could use press but I don’t see them trading either O’Hara or Sauerbrunn and they don’t have enough non uswnt players to make that trade work. It’s times like these that I wish the NWSL allowed financial transactions.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That's just semantics. They r saying the same thing u r in a different way tho I have to admit things like 21 of 20 r really awkward.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think it's about blowing up a roster tho it may be about the question does Press upgrade me enough to give up what I accomplished in preseason? If the deal ended up being Bauer( or Oyster) and Andrews, Seattle doesn't lose much at least short term. Andrews isn't starting and Im sure Vlatko will sleep just as well with Barnes-Averbuch as any other CB combination. For me it's about looking at the attackers he has and asking does Press really change much? If his starting front six is

Rapinoe - Taylor - Kawasumi
    ................Long
    ........Utsugi.......Fishlock

I dont change a thing.

blissett repped this.