2018 Penn State Nittany Lions Soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bhoys, Jan 9, 2018.

1. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Fitballer, CaptainD and ratmalph repped this.
  2. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  3. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  5. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The first-year in the books Nittany Lions bhoys receive their lettermen jackets.

[​IMG]

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What a throw-back. How many schools still give these out?

I can't decide if these are very retro-cool or a dated relic that makes the school seem like it's stuck in another age.

(PS - stuck in another age was NOT a Sandusky reference!)

7. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Romeo offered me the one he received at Pitt. And I proudly wear it when I go to watch the local games.:)

8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Not sure how long this tradition has been going on at Penn State, but it has continued, or perhaps was started or started up again, as far back as 1989, as reported in this article from the PSU student paper: http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_39ac82a2-3e08-5498-be7f-1585dc10119a.html

I know the the Naval Academy to this day continues its long time tradition of giving varsity "N STAR" sweaters to all USNA varsity athletes, with a STAR added for each win over Army West Point.

upload_2018-2-14_15-39-50.png

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Cook wasting no time establishing that Sigma relationship!

11. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Fitballer and CaptainD repped this.
  12. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State team on top of Mount Nittany: [​IMG]

OverseasView repped this.
  13. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  14. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thanks for sharing - this article might be best spun to a thread of its own.

My thoughts:
    1. Creighton - agree, 1 of the best college stadiums
    2. Jeffrey - I wouldn't include it in my top 10, facilities are sparse (porto-potty, IIRC), people flow not conducive, seems like far stands separated. Note. I haven't been to Jeffrey in a few years. Grass is nice.
    3. Wake Forest - agree, wide-spread program support, good sight-lines, unique fan experience on the other side of the fence.
    4. Akron - Agree.
    5. South Carolina - Haven't been there
    6. Kentucky - Haven't been there
    7. Texas A&M - discounted for not having a men and women's program. Haven't been there.
    8. Utah - discounted for not having a men and women's program. Nice stadium, went there for USA v Costa Rica, Labor Day 2003 (IIRC)
    9. UMBC - WTF. Totally disagree. Sure it's a nice field and so close that you can almost make wall passes, but crappy tiny bleachers, no real facilities, overshadowed by the new BB arena.
    Honorable Mention:
    • Grand Canyon - Haven't been there
    • West Virginia - ok. No disagreement. Though parking is a bit strange on the other side of the track. Yes, I'm quite lazy.
    • South Florida. Nice stadium, good student support on the grass on the other 3 corners.
    • Providence - Haven't been to the new stadium, but I liked the old one. I would typically stand on the top of the press box for a sweet view.
    • Georgetown. N'aaah. Field can get sparse late in the year. Hill to die on. For those who haven't been, The parking garage is 4 flights down (thank you elevator), then it's a huge hill up to the student center - Yates Field house, then it's more hill because the field is on top of Yates. I've lobbied for student organization to pay for golf club service up the hill - I'd gladly pay $5 for the ride from the garage! Porto-potties, refreshments dire. Helicopters stop play whenever Georgetown need to confer - almost like Brian Wiese arranges the MedStar helicopters. :)
    • Northwestern - Haven't been there.
    • Indiana - Agree. Nice facility, atmosphere playing surface.

Others that I would add (in no specific order):
    • UCSB - never been there, but it looks like fun on TV
    • UVA - good atmosphere, facility, surface, a little bit of walk to the parking area
    • MD - atmosphere, non-bench side, good angles and closeness to pitch.
    • Louisville - nifty new facility
    • UConn - I despise Ray Reid, but good fans, tight field, Bathrooms are hike into the next building
    • Monmouth - Interesting field area on the big lawn, crappy bleachers; off the beaten path.
    • Mount St Mary's - Nice little facility with picturesque view of the statue on the hill on the drive in (from the back gate)
    • Loyola - MD - A full size stadium with full service facilities, parking attendees are obtuse - not worth going to the facility.
    • East Tennessee State - Nice, small facility with good viewing areas.

I'm sure that I've missed a few schools...

OverseasView repped this.
  16. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Naval Academy is pretty nice view...shank one and its in the water...a la McCovey Cove.

Notre Dame was nice facility a few years back when we visited for a game.

Anything with artificial turf isn’t on my list.

Delaware’s stadium has been greatly improved after a recent donation. Nice grass field and nice atmosphere.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I agree - I like Navy view, but if you don't have a pass, it's a very long walk to the free parking garage. They have a long pole with a net on the end to scoop up loose balls in the river.
    Haven't been to ND.
    Delaware is better. I like the free admission - porto-potties :(

18. familyfirst

familyfirst Member

Newcastle United
    Norway
    Aug 7, 2017
    1) Cental Connecticut has a nice new facility. (Have not been)
    2) West Point as well. (was There year's ago)
    3) Belson Stadium at St. John's is another. (Have not been there)
    4) SMU also.

Some thoughts...

19. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I’ve been to Louisville. Great stadium. Good bourbon and BBQ within Uber distance

20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Wake, UVA, UK, Pitt

Jeffrey is OK are they doing renovations?

Not crazy about Akron stadium but atmosphere is great.

IU - C'mon I mean they filmed Breaking Away there.
    Northwestern - the lake!
    UNC will be fantastic after renovation
    Xavier - is built into side of hill which is cool
    Pitt - has great view of downtown Pittsburgh
    NC state is kind of cool

OverseasView and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  21. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The rye grass at Jeffery is great, and the bleachers start very close to the field ... I don't care for the parks where the stands are farther back given the track around the field.

Here is the story from a Penn State news item on a 20 year plan published back in March 2017 addressing the planned renovations to Jeffery Field, and other Penn State athletic facilities. The Jeffery Field renovations were listed as one of "five priority projects during the initial five years ... ":

" ... The exhaustive study is a road map for one of the nation’s most comprehensive and successful athletic programs to provide best-in-class facilities that optimize student-athlete academic and athletic performance and are functional, sustainable and anticipate future growth and change.

Penn State offers 31 varsity sports (16 men’s/15 women’s) and has approximately 800 student-athletes and a staff of approximately 300. Nittany Lion student-athletes have an NCAA Graduation Success Rate of 89 percent and have won 76 national championships and 102 Big Ten Conference titles all-time.

Among some of the highlights, the Facilities Master Plan identifies five priority projects during the initial five years — falling in the next five-year capital plan — the first four of which are new construction:

1. Center of Excellence
    2. Indoor practice facility
    3. Ten-lane, 50-meter Natatorium
    4. Ten-court Indoor Tennis Facility
    5. Renovation and upgrades to Jeffrey Field (men’s and women’s soccer facility) ... (note: this plan indicated that the renovations above are supposed to start sometime in 2018, but as far as I know, there are no renovations underway yet at Jeffery Field)

Jeffrey Field

Jeffrey Field, the home of the Nittany Lion men’s and women’s soccer programs, is scheduled for substantial renovations during the first five years of the master plan. The upgrades include new game day home and visiting team locker facilities, chairback seats for fans with covered seating on the west side of the facility, concessions and restrooms, a video board, media facilities and new lighting around the complex. Jeffrey Field’s seating capacity will be approximately 4,000 upon completion of the upgrades ..."

From: https://news.psu.edu/story/455462/2...tics-announces-20-year-facilities-master-plan

In addition, I saw in another article that Penn State estimates the amount that will be spent on the Jeffrey Field renovations will be $30.9 million. From: https://opp.psu.edu/five-year-capital-plan-2018-2023

Some concept drawing of Jeffrey Field after the planned renovations: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  22. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Photo from a Penn State / Navy pre-season game back in 2013 at Navy, with the Severn River in the backgound, and horns of Navy mascot "Bill the Goat" in the foreground ...

[​IMG]

CaptainD repped this.
  23. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew about strategic plan. Just hadn't paid attention to see if/when they were going start work.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A "best college soccer stadiums" discussion might be best on its own thread. Do we still have a mod on this forum? Can we break this conversation away and start one?

25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure most comments were related in some way to PSU & Jeffrey. Therefore completely relevant (at this point) to this forum.

But what else would you like to discuss about PSU Sandon?