2018 Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, allegedly Rooney is costing DC $12 MILLION. Wow.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #127 Kyle Crew, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    All the MLS spokespeople... I mean pundits, talk about how he'll score goals and be great etc etc. I dunno, I'm thinking Kaka version 2.0, has some good moments here and there, but ultimately no where near the salary they will be paying him.

DC would be much better off spending money on a
    1) new coach
    2) actual fullbacks
    3) center back
    3) a solid striker from south america for a fraction of the price

I've not been Arriola's biggest fan, but he's looked good since Olsen moved him into the middle and they play a sort of wide christmas tree formation.

------------------Mattocks

------------Acosta-------Arriola

Asad------------Moreno---------Steiber

----------------Crap Defense

----------------------GK

Go the Almiron/Valeri path, not fvcking Wayne Rooney. I know Rooney is only, what, 32 or something, but he's an old 32. In the summer heat and high intensity of MLS, I don't see him lasting honestly, especially if he's played as a #9. And if he isn't played up top, you really have to ask WTF is DC doing?

the_rickler and Tobias C repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just looked over at the DC forum, and they are less that thrilled about Rooney coming. Basically, they agree, the offense is actually ok recently (considering they've been on the road all year) it's the defense that needs major help. Rooney is clearly a PR move, nothing more.

4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Waldo can’t even send a tweet without sounding like the pompous @$$ he is.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That said, PR moves can be a good thing--especially with them going into a new stadium. Create buzz and all that. I was a teen in Philly when Pele came. Yes, he was over the hill, by a bit. Still--the buzz.... 25K+ came to the Vet that week just to see him make an appearance (first place the Cosmos played* after the signing, but they held him back a week to make his home debut). Now there were a lot of things wrong with the NASL. Signing Pele was not one of them.

*As I recall, that was the game that Chris Bahr, son of the late, great Walter Bahr, knocked out a Cosmos player with a shot from about 30 yards out. The player was unconscious and had to be stretchered off. Never seen a shot that hard....

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Crew Dev Academy seals quarterfinal trip with 95th min set piece goal against NYRB.

Tobias C and Draghignazzo repped this.
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas playmaker Mauro Diaz is transferring to the UAE, one would assume for mega $$$.

11. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will save the MLS. Super Awesome that he is going to a team that makes the whole less than the sum of the parts.

TRUJDUB and CybrSlydr repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the_rickler and chr1st repped this.
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is he a starter or regular player? Or just a guy on the bench?

14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of a depth guy, it would seem. He's made three starts this season on six appearances, and played in 11 matches last season (seven starts).

POdinCowtown repped this.
  15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I've never heard of him. Not sure why he'd think anyone cares one way or the other who he sleeps with.

CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB repped this.
  16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else want to handle this?

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh... nah, I'm good.

Tobias C and the_rickler repped this.
  18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll take a stab at it, particularly if it’s getting the green light from a mod. Even though this isn’t the politics subforum.

(I find it curious when x athlete/entertainer comes out, and a conservative makes a statement along the lines of “why should anyone care what they do in private?” That is valid to some extent. But if the commenter really didn’t care one way or the other, why make the point of commenting in the first place? [Kind of like “don’t think about an elephant.”])

Why should anyone care? There is a sizable segment of people who, as is their right to their opinion, think that homosexuality is immoral/wrong/unnatural/abnormal etc. People who are gay are still stigmatized by other people. For some, this leads to stress, anxiety, depression, or other problems. Even suicide.
    When some athlete/musician/actor/etc. comes out (particularly in the sports world), they are taking some risk of being stigmatized. I imagine some come out to show courage to others who haven’t, or to help others feel less abnormal, etc. For some gay people this can reduce their sense of being stigmatized.
    IMO, if this lessens the “suffering” of others, or even saves a life, then it is a good thing that the athlete/musician etc has gone public and that it gets into the media.

CrewV Man, the_rickler and chr1st repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    So you're saying it's a statement that he's enlisted in the culture wars? Even if you think that's a good thing, Lots of athletes support BLM. If a famous player came out, then it might be noteworthy but an occasional starter for the Loons isn't. Is there some "Gays can't be top athletes" stigma he's disproving?

20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus fvcking christ.... just stop it.

21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Seems kind of vain to broadcast it to the world. Sort of like Zlatan but without the on-field achievements.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troll train has clearly left the station and is right on time.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For or against an particular issue, maybe some folks are getting tired of the incessant drumbeating.

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, ya know, out of the 4,500 or so professional NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, NASCAR, Golf, and Tennis athletes in America and Canada (not even mentioning soccer players outside these two countries) I think it's okay to celebrate ONE that is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in and face workplace and public discrimination. We can be ok with just 1 out of 4,500 right?

According to a 2015 Gallup poll, about 4% of Americans identify as gay or bisexual. So, out of 4,500 athletes, that means roughly 180 are gay or bisexual. If you don't wanna applaud the ONE guy brave enough to step up and come out, when there is quite possibly literally HUNDREDS more afraid to, then at least don't complain about it. I know it's not the 1950's anymore y'all, but you'll be ok. We don't live in an age anymore where people should have to hide. If we do, then people need to quite talking about all of their heritage and things that identify them.

Now, on a slightly unrelated note, this clearly is a NSR topic, and since people around here are too lazy to appoint a second mod since the other resigned months ago, we should discuss this elsewhere.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gay people have been marginalized, persecuted, and discriminated against for centuries. Straight people have to listen to "drumbeating."

Wanna switch places?

TKyle repped this.